Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pelagius and Hypatia?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pelagius and Hypatia?
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:45
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but there was no reply on the Ancient Europe and Mediterranean forum:

We know that Pelagius and Hypatia were contemporaries, but did they ever meet? If they did, how would you think they would get along? Hypatia had several Christian admirers, how about Pelagius' approach?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:18
I don't think Pelagius ever visited Alexandria.

I doubt if they would have liked each other. One was a christian the other a pagan. One a moderate one a fanatic.

Both were metaphysicians though.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 22:41

I don't think Pelagius ever visited Alexandria.

I'm not so sure about that, he went to Palestine before 420ad, and his ideas did gain ground around Carthage, so he could have visited there, of course he probably would have never met Hypatia.

I doubt if they would have liked each other. One was a christian the other a pagan. One a moderate one a fanatic.

I doubt that Hypatia was a 'fanatic'. She had christian as well as pagan students, and she herself was a Neo-Platonist, so that would mean she wouldn't be opposed to the idea of Pelagius' god being the Supreme god. After all Neo-Platonism had a noticable effect on early christianity.

They probably would've gotten along very well in fact, had they by chance met, since Pelagius converted from Manicheanism and it was through Neo-Platonism that Augustine of Hippo converted from Manicheanism to Christianity. So I don't believe their philosophies would be all that disimilar. Of course, Pelagius wouldn't have too much interest in some random tutor who was rumored to be a witch, since even if he visited Alexandria it would just be a stopping point, and Hypatia probably would've been dead by the time he got there anyway.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 04:53
Smile.............It wasn't Hypatia I was calling the fanatic....

Edited by Paul - 20-Apr-2007 at 04:53
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 05:09

.............It wasn't Hypatia I was calling the fanatic....

Then you should have said 'one was a christian one was a pagan one was a fanatic and one was a moderate.' So as to avoid confusion.

However I don't see how Pelagius was a fanatic any moreso than Hypatia. Sure he had his own strong personal beliefs, but I wouldn't call him fanatical, or do you base the fact he was a fanatic on him being a Christian?

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 07:15
First of all: I doubt wether you can call either of those two fanatics. Pelagius was a man of faith, but that does not mean he was fanatic.

Janus: Did Pelagius convert from Manicheism? As far as I know he accused Augustine of being too influenced by Manicheism, but I've never heard that Pelagius had anything to do with that movement himself. Am I wrong? As far as I know, Pelagius was more influenced by Celtic teachings, and also Pelagianism opposes Manicheism on several issues. For instance, the idea that man is good by nature is not what any Manichee would agree with.

We also know that Pelagius visited Northern Africa during his lifetime, and if he visited Alexandria I see no reason why he should not meet Hypatia (provided he reached the city prior to 415), after all he must have been just as keen on a debate as any other scholar of that time.

Hypatia had in fact many Christian students, and when she was savagely murdered in 415, the mob consisted of both Christians and Non-Christians. So the picture of Hypatia as the arch enemy of Christianity is not at all correct.

Edited by Hope - 20-Apr-2007 at 08:11
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 00:18
As I understand it he was a Manichean before he became a christian, and although he was born in the British Isles, his Celtic influences were very minor. For all we know Pelagius could have been an italian immigrant to the Island since he lived during the Roman occupation. I would say that he wasn't an ethnic Briton, because of his leanings towards Greek thought and philosophy, but that's just speculation on my part.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:18

I cannot disagree on those issues, but was his teachings really similar to those of the Manichees?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 00:10

but was his teachings really similar to those of the Manichees?

No not at all, he seems to have become critical of the Manichees and even went so far as to acuse Augustine of being too much like the Manichees. So I would say that he was a Zealot who turned away from the religion he was brought up in.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 07:58
I understand the arguement, no one is more bitter in accusations than a previous diciple, right?

But apart from that, are there any evidences of him being raised in a Manichean faith? After all, being critical would not be enough evidence, that would mean that the Church fathers were all originally Gnostics. I simply think that Pelagius went his very own ways in faith, and although he was pious and ascetic, was he really a zealot?

However, that he acclaimed Augustine for clinging to the Manichean teachings is actually a just accusations, since Augustine's teachings really resemble what the Manichees believed in. And we know for a fact that Augustine had been a Manichee.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 09:46
Okay, Hope I did a little bit more research and have come to the conclusion he was not a Manichee (I thought I read it somewhere but I most have confused him and Augustine).

I have also discovered that he was referred to as a Scot (which back then meant Irish) so I would say that he was of Irish descent. However I believe that any references to Celtic beliefs in his teachings are superficial. He seems to have independently reinvented Stoicism, since he never claimed to be a Stoic, although he was heavily influenced by Greek thought.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11604a.htm

And by Zealot, I mean he was full of Zeal. Which is as you described him. To me a zealot is a positive thing.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 10:22

Thanks, that cleared up a few things. I also can agree that the Celtic influence not was a major thing. Pelagius would probably have picked up some stoic thoughts (which I know next to nothing about), since he, according to my sources, read Greek.

And also, thanks for pointing out your view of his zealotry, I was thinking in negative connotations. Now I agree with youSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply