Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Control/Gun Ownership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Control/Gun Ownership
    Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 00:31
Originally posted by JanusRook

Wow, DukeC, I stand 100% behind your statements of the real reason of the 2nd Amendment. It is meant to apply to militias of whom every male citizen should belong too and these militias should be controlled by the states and not the federal government (The national guard is not a militia, especially if they can be sent to other nations Dead)

They have those kind of militias out west, something the federal government is not very happy about.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 01:27
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

There's a town in Texas where all citizens are required to gun. It has one of the lowest crimes rates in the State of the Union.

There is a town in the orient where even all kids are wearing ammunition belts. It has the highest crimes rates in the World. That is the town where all American, used to sleep with there weapons, are a shining example.
This town is called Bagdad.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 02:57

They have those kind of militias out west, something the federal government is not very happy about.

And their big in Michigan too. Also, shouldn't the fact that the federal government isn't happy about them mean something to americans.

This town is called Bagdad.

I can name towns as well ulrich, Juba, Mogadishu, Yamoussoukro, Harare, all places where america hasn't been, so that's really irrelevant.

Gun violence and murder have a correlation with the wealth inequality in a population, so one way to prevent murder is to distribute wealth more equally rather than eliminating guns.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:05
Originally posted by Janus

I can name towns as well ulrich, Juba, Mogadishu, Yamoussoukro, Harare, all places where america hasn't been, so that's really irrelevant.

The americans went to Mogadishu. They left shortly afterwards after realizing that everyone had guns.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:29
^Best arguement for guns there is. The necessity of free men. I am not a criminal. I pay my taxes, I obey laws and respect the government. But how am I to know the government will always be able to protect me? I don't. Or that the present lot would be replaced by tyrants? I don't.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:43
Thats true, and the reason why only the extremely obedient European cultures have been able to (or even thought of) enforcing gun control.

The less obedient cultures would never trust the government enough.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 11:59
I will never understand the American distrust of their own government or the belief that owning guns will protect them from naughty governments. No where else in the developed world do so many or so horrific atrocities happen all because a (some say mistaken) belief that it is their right to bear arms. For a country that talks so much about goverments and toppling them, they have one of the most conservative obediant non protesting citizens about!

It is my right to do alot of things but that does not make it morally ok or good for society for me to do them. Ok folk can kill with other things but to argue that guns laws such as in some states do not contribute towards more innocent deaths does not stand up. Friends of mine in Ne York don't own guns but none of my friends over Colarado etc would dream of NOT owning one....go figure eh? I heard the figure about 80 gun deaths a day in America......thats one right that is being paid for dearly.

Paranoia anyone?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by New User

I will never understand the American distrust of their own government or the belief that owning guns will protect them from naughty governments. No where else in the developed world do so many or so horrific atrocities happen all because a (some say mistaken) belief that it is their right to bear arms. For a country that talks so much about goverments and toppling them, they have one of the most conservative obediant non protesting citizens about!

It is my right to do alot of things but that does not make it morally ok or good for society for me to do them. Ok folk can kill with other things but to argue that guns laws such as in some states do not contribute towards more innocent deaths does not stand up. Friends of mine in Ne York don't own guns but none of my friends over Colarado etc would dream of NOT owning one....go figure eh? I heard the figure about 80 gun deaths a day in America......thats one right that is being paid for dearly.

Paranoia anyone?

Mistaken belief? It is neither , it's written into the Constitution of the US. It is a right certained by law..
Our government has hardly given us a basis for trust, and I'm not just referring to the present administration. The public started to loose it's trust shortly after WWII. and you can't blame it on one specific event but on a series of badly handled events.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by New User

Paranoia anyone?

Mistaken belief? It is neither , it's written into the Constitution of the US. It is a right certained by law..
Our government has hardly given us a basis for trust, and I'm not just referring to the present administration. The public started to loose it's trust shortly after WWII. and you can't blame it on one specific event but on a series of badly handled events.

Okay I did say some say... I say again though how does carrying guns protect people from a government who has the biggest military arsenal in the world?I am not flaming just trying to understand such an alien belief to my own so please bear with me if I seem to offend I do not wish to.

Again I am not sure why a right translates into a morally ok thing to do. I do not trust my government but would never dream of having a gun to deal with them in any way.

My neighbours all have guns for hunting but would never presume they needed them to protect themselves from the Labour party. What is the historical reasoning behing the American right to bear arms? Will the people rise up to take over in some form of Militia or is it really about personal safety in an unsafe world?

Again pls bear with my awkwardly put questions I really do not wish to annoy or offend just very curious as to the culture of gun ownership in the US.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 14:35

The rifle has been an important part of American life for centuries starting with frontiersmen who depended on it for survival. The Minutemen helped kick the Revolution off and few settlers who headed west would have dreamed of traveling without a good weapon. Many Americans still connect the ownership of firearms with freedom, whether this is accurate or not.

And having almost as many firearms as citizens does cause the U.S. government to think twice about messing around with constitutional freedoms.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Thats true, and the reason why only the extremely obedient European cultures have been able to (or even thought of) enforcing gun control.

I wouldn't call the Netherlands an 'extremely obedient' culture though, and yet the Dutch gun laws are fairly strict.

As for my opinion. If it's fairly licenced and registered and all I don't have a problem with people owning a gun (to a certain extend of course, you don't need a rocket launcher or heacy machine gun for 'self defence') but I don't think owning guns should be considered a right.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:56
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I wouldn't call the Netherlands an 'extremely obedient' culture though, and yet the Dutch gun laws are fairly strict.

As for my opinion. If it's fairly licenced and registered and all I don't have a problem with people owning a gun (to a certain extend of course, you don't need a rocket launcher or heacy machine gun for 'self defence') but I don't think owning guns should be considered a right.

But it is a right in the US.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 18:12
Originally posted by Sparten

^Best arguement for guns there is. The necessity of free men. I am not a criminal. I pay my taxes, I obey laws and respect the government. But how am I to know the government will always be able to protect me? I don't. Or that the present lot would be replaced by tyrants? I don't.

Here is a good link http://www.nrapublications.org/armed%20citizen/Index.asp
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 20:43
Originally posted by DukeC

The rifle has been an important part of American life for centuries starting with frontiersmen who depended on it for survival. The Minutemen helped kick the Revolution off and few settlers who headed west would have dreamed of traveling without a good weapon. Many Americans still connect the ownership of firearms with freedom, whether this is accurate or not.

And having almost as many firearms as citizens does cause the U.S. government to think twice about messing around with constitutional freedoms.

thanks for the info 

Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 02:20
Originally posted by Adalwolf

But it is a right in the US.

Perhaps that is the root of the problem: the fact that owning guns is considered a right in the US, with an entire cult surrounding it, may actually contribute more to the relatively high prevalence of violent incidents in the United States than actual gun ownership itself. In countries like Canada and Switzerland, where gun ownership is relativelt high as well, people just own guns but don't make a point of it, they don't turn it into something ideological.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 05:48

Adalwolf started this thread as a result of 2 posts by Yannis and me  - both in the VA-Tech thread.

The quoted post below by me...

Originally posted by me

So you guys wants to wheel back time to the Good Old West - each man his own safety?
No law and order - just the law of the jungle - kill or be killed?
Is that the vision you have for a future USA?
I would have expected more refined thinking patterns from the cream of american youngsters - like you guys.

Don't you realise that, if the criminals can expect every civilian to carry a handgun, they will arm themselves with machineguns, and your concealed cal. 32 will have the same effect as a peagun - if you ever get a chance to use it?
But then of course, YOU will get a machinegun - right?

You will be escalating your already excessive gun related murder rate to astronomical figures in no time.

Start thinking, stop the madness and go for a strict weapon control instead.
Give your police and authorities a chance to enforce their job which already is almost impossible due to the number of weapons on the streets and in the homes.
I know the American fascination for guns, the dogme's about personal freedom and the pioneering free spirit. I know them well enough to realise this wont be easy. But its necessary.

But the route you are heading will contradict every move towards personal freedom.
You will end up with a nation with even more paranoia - where every citizen is more scared of the neighbor down the road, than the one up the road.

Pikeshot commented it like this: "For anyone who doesn't like America...."

Read again Pikeshot..... do you see anything "disliking" America there?
I am merely argumenting for what I think would become a safer life for all Americans.

Adalwolf / Pikeshot / Genghis - may I ask you a question?

What arguments can I use to convince other Danes, that we also should have a right to bear arms? 

Edited by Northman - 21-Apr-2007 at 05:51
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 09:17
Northman,

I don't know what threads you read, but in just about anything to do with current affairs, or, as an example, this discussion, the comments are replete with criticism and indeed scorn for America.  And there are many forumers who revel in it.  A good number of those are in leadership here...moderators.  It was one reason I resigned that lofty position.

I don't lose sleep over that, but it does annoy me.  It took little time for a thread in support of the kids at VPI, and for Jim Dorman to slide into snide and critical comments about how the American "gun culture" is reflective of our paranoid, psychopathic nature, and that we are "cowboys" and we all think our neighbors or the government is going to axe murder us in our sleep.

I guess that is why people want to come here to live, right?

Nobody I know walks around armed and looking over his shoulder expecting an attack.  Certainly not in Blacksburg, VA or State College, PA or Lawrence KS or Missoula, MT or any of the other 1,000 college towns around.

OK, I am ranting here.  But, those comments are idiotic.  You really don't know us very well.  You may think you do, but you don't.

As far as a right to bear arms, I am not a gun owner.  I have no need of a gun.  If someone wants to handle weapons, he can enlist in the National Guard.  Or he can go buy one.  It is the reality here, and dates from 1787 when there was a frontier, and when the defense of the Republic was based on a militia.  So?  It is not the only archaic legal principal in existence.  I am sure you can cite examples of that where you live.

You don't amend the Constitution every time there is an emotional/political hot button, or you wind up with disasters like Prohibition.  That was enough of that.

The Danish reality is different, I am sure, but I don't know that much about Denmark.  I cannot speak for the other guys on this point.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 21-Apr-2007 at 11:42
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 13:58
Thanks Pikes it is a very good post. I'd like to answer it, bearing in mind that yes I am a Frenchman with all the subjectivity it may imply

I don't know what threads you read, but in just about anything to do with current affairs, or, as an example, this discussion, the comments are replete with criticism and indeed scorn for America.  And there are many forumers who revel in it.  A good number of those are in leadership here...moderators.  It was one reason I resigned that lofty position.
100% agree with you. But then again the US are to strong to be threatened by any military means, it is only logical that its enemies bash it hard. That explains but doesn't excuse the behaviour of some of the members.

I don't lose sleep over that
Glad to hear it because as they say in Italy: "who sleeps doesn't think badly, who doesn't think badly doesn't act badly, who doesn't act badly goes to heaven". I'm glad to tell you my friend you're going straight to the 72 virgins' inn.

It took little time for a thread in support of the kids at VPI, and for Jim Dorman to slide into snide and critical comments about how the American "gun culture" is reflective of our paranoid, psychopathic nature, and that we are "cowboys" and we all think our neighbors or the government is going to axe murder us in our sleep.
You should know better, kindness doesn't sell in this world.

I guess that is why people want to come here to live, right?
No I'll move to the US (in September) because 1) my girlfriend's a Yank 2) you've got jobs 3) NYC's the ultimate cool place 4) dollars' so cheap nowadays this country's a bargain!

Nobody I know walks around armed and looking over his shoulder expecting an attack.
For me that is not really the problem. The question is are you ready to shoot at and potentially kill somebody stealing your HD TV because most of the times it boils down to that.

OK, I am ranting here.
Indeed.

But, those comments are idiotic.
Indeed.

You really don't know us very well.
Well enough (although not all of you I've only been acquinted with NE, Texas, Iowa and California people).

You may think you do, but you don't.
Hoooooooooo I was expecting a better argument from you.

As far as a right to bear arms, I am not a gun owner.
Why? what about Kant's categoric imperative?

I have no need of a gun.
Are you this kind of citizen that happily live in a fenced community? If not why do some need guns?

If someone wants to handle weapons, he can enlist in the National Guard.
Sounds sensible

Or he can go buy one.
As many have said before that is the problem.

It is the reality here
That is one of the weakest point of your argument. The very base of your system is "here it is different you cannot understand" but then you're upset when people tell you "you are different we cannot understand you".

and dates from 1787 when there was a frontier
Yeah and in 1787 men were wearing stockings (and they had slaves) Times change.

when the defense of the Republic was based on a militia.
Several countries gained or regained their independence/liberty with their guns is it a reason why every body ought to keep a gun at home. Take Spain for instance, they defeated Napoleon with guerrilla tactics and then the people fought the army for three years, in a way they'd be much more entitled than any American to bear guns but as far as I know most of them don't

So?  It is not the only archaic legal principal in existence.
It is a typical example of legal fetishism. Each and every law is suceptible to be changed within a day. Saying this law cannot be changed is overlooking the very principle of democration and of the nature of what a law is. The only laws that cannot be changed are the supernatural ones (God's), you (I mean this strawman named Pikes I guess you personaly have a sensible answer to that) see the Constitution as if it was a kind of Sharia and the founding fathers as a kind of saints.

You don't amend the Constitution every time there is an emotional/political hot button, or you wind up with disasters like Prohibition.
Some say (see in England) that having a constitution at all is idiotic. Other feel better if they just change it once in a while. If fighting a crime rate that is higher than in 12th century England is a mere "emotional hot button", cheers to that but the day my kids get killed (inch Allah it won't happen) with a legally bought weapon I'll be much less civilized and call you a murderer

Sorry I've been long but really that is something I fail to understand why any man would offer blindly his children in holocaust to an groundless ideology (because that is what it is). Constitution = Baal.

Best
I am a free donkey!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 14:08
There are no quick fixes, even with our tight gun control in Canada we still have tragic incidents.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:11

I also do remember Canada accusing US absense of gun control laws, as a reason for the inflow of guns into Canada. Short of "imported violence"....
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>