Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mahabharata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mahabharata
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 12:50
I was surprised to see there was no topic on the Mahabharata.

Anyone else here read it? Any recommendations on translation versions?

Some questions to ponder:

1) Was Krishna justified in his acts of transgression? He is, after all, an incarnation of god. Yet, he, on several occasions, made the active choice to cheat and help the Pandavas.

2) All the brothers except for Yudhisthithira fell from grace, and were unable to climb the mountain to heaven. Yudhisthithira is spared because supposedly, he is the only one amongst them without any impurities. However, did he not abandon his duty to his wife when he gambled her away? He is not without sin either, yet he makes it to heaven. Why do you think so?

3) Ultimately, who do you think is responsible for all of this? I place the blame on Sakuni, who vowed to destroy Dhirithirasthra's empire when he was named successor to the kingdom.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 19:06
No one's read the mahabharata Smile ?

In that case, may i recommend to you all to read,

The Mahabharata
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 15:22
Do you know of  any good editions to recomend?
http://www.hoplites.net/
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 17:48
Rajagopalachari's version is very concise, but is a good starting point.

I've also read Krishna Dharma's version, which is considerably longer, but has strong Vaishnavite influence.

Currently, i'm trying to get through the version found on sacred-texts.com, which is very close to the actual story. It is the only complete translation by K. Ganguli. However, it is impossibly long, and includes all the little tidbits that i believe deviate from the plot (such as ten generations of lineage of all the main characters, or paragraphs and paragraphs of praise for the story itself).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 18:31

..Hello..

..Not sure if i have got this correct, but i seem to recall Oppenhiemer may have quoted from the Mahabharata when he witnessed the first atomic explosion...it went something like this i believe...

..."I have become death, the destroyer of worlds"...??
 Post Reply Post Reply