Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vikings:Creators or Destroyers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vikings:Creators or Destroyers?
    Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 23:14
Hello everybody!
ok, im not copping out here, but i gotta do an assignment on the vikings, more specificallly where they creators or destroyers.
So if anyone things they may have interesting info or websites, itd be awsum if you could help me.
Its quite obvious how they were destroyers and all that, but what made them creators?
Thanks heaps!
HistoryPoi.
Viva La Vida!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 23:43
I would say: Vikings were destroyers, barbarous and cruel criminals.

On the other hand, Norse people was quite creative. They developed the art of navigation and invented several things. They gave a new push to England, Italy, Russia and all the places they go, besides establishing in Greenland and touching the Americas.

A great people.

By the way, Vikings were the pirates and Norse the general people. Not all Norse were pirates, but a few. Most Norse were merchants. I preffer the later.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 23:52
The simple and fast answer would be yes they creators.

The Viking/Norse culture was vivid and dynamic, and definetly not monolith either. The raiders/Vikings did raid, did pillage, and did loot many locales around Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean. However, through this very raiding they did spread some of their culture as well, case in point Normandy and Sicily. They created to rather sucessful duchies/kingdoms that were prominent players in European, and Mediterranean politics of the day. Amongst the political factors there are the cultural or technological such as the longship, and the great seamanship.

The violence factor should be overlooked, many people were violent then, and now. Relying simply on such a factor will let you overlook a rich history of the Norse people that is rather enjoyable to study.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 01:56
A simple linguistic question.

Vikings are always destroyers, Danes on the other hand are both creators and destroyers (like all people). This is because the word Viking was used exclusively for pirates, while Dane for settlers and peoples from Scandinavia
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 03:16
The Vikings, like most medieval people, caused a mixture of creation and destruction. They destroyed, raided, pillaged and eventually conquered. This was an important catalyst for many European nations to strengthen themselves against attack, Alfred's England being a very good example.

The Vikings had advanced nautical skills and also helped advance long distance trade.

They also created whole nations in their own right. They had a major impact on nations such as England, Sicily and especially the Russian principalities (which they gave their name to - the Rus).

The Vikings were a people who began their intrusion on Europe as destructive warriors and later developed into catalysts for changes and advances which brought about positive development in the Western world.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 03:19
They were certainly no more or less destructive than others in the same age. If you read the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, in the late eighth century, occasional stories of Viking attacks are nothing compared to the yearly 'this king plundered that kingdom and the next year that king came here and plundered too'...
http://omacl.org/Anglo/

(check first Viking attacks, 793/794 and check the years around it...)

I'd like to correct es_bih a bit: The cultural influence on southern Italy and Sicily was from Normans. Normans indeed had Viking ancestors, but by the time they movet to Italy, not much of that link remained.

Vikings did have cultural influence in lost of places though, mainly in the places they settled: England, Normandy, Kiev, and they even left some races in Istambul: Runes-graffitti on a statue in the Hagia Sophia.

And hey had linguistical influence: most nautical terms in both English and French have Norse origin.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:23
I think before IX -X century Vikings were known better as pirates&detroyers, but since IX -X (when their got power(rule) in different parts of Europe) they became creators (merchants, war leaders etc.).

Edited by John Lenon - 17-Apr-2007 at 05:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:17
Yes indeed. Vikings were the pirates. A minority in that society. The proper name for the people is Norse. And Norse indeed were a very progresive society for theirs times.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 11:58
I'm just repeating what has been said, but for clarity. The purely linguistical answer is that yes they were destroyers, since Viking means pirate(well, not exactly, but looter moving primarily by boat to his place of plunder). There's a tendency to equate Viking with Scandinavian - a practice common even in Scandinavia - but this is an incorrect use of the word. The Viking age Scandinavians can certainly not be generalized as destroyers though.

edit: I might add that Vikings were as hated and feared in Scandinavia itself as they were in Britain and France.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 17-Apr-2007 at 12:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 12:19
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

They were certainly no more or less destructive than others in the same age. If you read the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, in the late eighth century, occasional stories of Viking attacks are nothing compared to the yearly 'this king plundered that kingdom and the next year that king came here and plundered too'...
http://omacl.org/Anglo/

(check first Viking attacks, 793/794 and check the years around it...)

I'd like to correct es_bih a bit: The cultural influence on southern Italy and Sicily was from Normans. Normans indeed had Viking ancestors, but by the time they movet to Italy, not much of that link remained.

Vikings did have cultural influence in lost of places though, mainly in the places they settled: England, Normandy, Kiev, and they even left some races in Istambul: Runes-graffitti on a statue in the Hagia Sophia.

And hey had linguistical influence: most nautical terms in both English and French have Norse origin.

I know they had, I was specifying toward them being of Norse descent. It was getting late Sleepy and I didn't want to type much longer
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HistoryPoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 01:17
Thanks very much everyone!
In terms of that Norse/Viking thing, im going to write at the beginning of my essay that the "creations" I talk about will be the creations of the Norse, that effected the Vikings, such as long boats and navigational stuff. And on that note, the destruction is going to be mainly caused by the Vikings aye.
So other than long boats, are there  any phyisical clear objects that I could write about, that are clear indications of creativity. So far, in terms of creation I will talk about;
*Effect on navigaion (Ill research of course) - including language effect
*Longboats and their creation - ie shallow bottoms great for going inland.
*created nations and cultures via settlement.
Anything else you guys can think of?
Thanks!
HistoryPoi
Viva La Vida!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 07:44
I'd be careful about saying "most nautical terms in both English and French have Norse origin". I'd like to see some evidence for that - unless you're going to count the Dutch and the Flemish and the English themselves as Norse. And of course there are quite a lot of Spanish/Italian origin nautical terms in English - and Arabic ones for that matter.

With regard to the longboats - add in the capability of going in either direction, which is good for going up and down rivers.

Edited by gcle2003 - 18-Apr-2007 at 07:46
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:28
If you need to make a stretch for content, you can look at the ramifications of the last great Norse attack on Northern England prior to the battle of Hastings in 1066. The outcome of the battle was definitely changed by Harold Hadraada's attack.

I'd also take a look into their mythology and sagas. They developed and recorded very intricate religious stories to explain their world.  I consider them among the greatest of the story tellers of their era.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 11:37
Originally posted by pinguin

By the way, Vikings were the pirates and Norse the general people. Not all Norse were pirates, but a few. Most Norse were merchants. I preffer the later.

Yes, many people, even some scholars, fail to make the distinction between vikings/pirates and the general population of Scandinavia in the early middle ages. The term "viking" implies Scandinavian origin, of course, but it's really not an ethnic/cultural term as much as a term for Scandinavians engaged in seafaring and piracy. You should not, however, make a clear distinction between merchants and vikings, because most vikings were also merchants and most seafaring merchants were also vikings, depending on the circumstances. For example; a small viking fleet coming upon an unprotected monastery would not bother to trade with the monks for their goods, as these could easily be taken by force. The same viking fleet, coming upon a fortified city, might all of a sudden feel more inclined towards trade. It depended on circumstances. No one entertained the idea that being a merchant as opposed to being a viking was morally superior, they would not shy away from the latter activity if the opportunity arose.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Vikings are always destroyers, Danes on the other hand are both creators and destroyers (like all people). This is because the word Viking was used exclusively for pirates, while Dane for settlers and peoples from Scandinavia

I don't understand what you're saying here. The contemporary Christian chroniclers rarely used the term "viking" at all, they refered to them interchangeably as "pagani", "dani" and "nordmanni", each of them catch-all phrases. The later Old Norse sagas on the other hand use the term a lot, but these also distinguish between Danes and Norwegians, settlers or not.

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Yes, but there is a theory that the Normans who emigrated to Italy and Sicily descended from those Scandinavians who hadn't been able to adjust to the political culture of continental Christian society. If so, they'd be closer to their ancestors than those Normans who conquered England. I'd imagine it's a hopeless case to prove though.

Originally posted by John Lenon

I think before IX -X century Vikings were known better as pirates&detroyers, but since IX -X (when their got power(rule) in different parts of Europe) they became creators (merchants, war leaders etc.).

You are right to make a distinction between periods here, the "viking age" (not a fan of the term) laster over 250 years after all and is bound to include a lot of variety. From the first recorded 793 onwards viking activity was mostly piracy and trade, but from the 860s onwards the Danes began conquering and settling in England, forming the "Danelaw". The last free Anglo-Saxon kingdom, Wessex, fought a war to expel Scandinavian power over several decades, finally ousting the last viking king from York in 954. This gave England a brief respite, until the next wave of attacks began in the 990s. This time it was not so much a matter of plunder and migration as one of political conquest, one kingdom against another, culminating in the second Scandinavian conquest of England in 1016.

Beyond this I concur with Styrbiorn's views.
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:20
They were both.
In the destruction that they caused, they also opened up trade channels, and forced those they were attacking to develop new and better means of protection.
So, overall they were both destroyers and creators.

Originally posted by HistoryPoi

Hello everybody!
ok, im not copping out here, but i gotta do an assignment on the vikings, more specificallly where they creators or destroyers.
So if anyone things they may have interesting info or websites, itd be awsum if you could help me.
Its quite obvious how they were destroyers and all that, but what made them creators?
Thanks heaps!
HistoryPoi.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 15:55

Hello

Can you give me some links connected with the history of vikings, their lifestyle, and so on...

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 16:14
                I'm here to rehabilitate my viking ancestors.

Who said they were pirates and murders ?
If you will say it again once more, i will visit you with my mates very soon.
And than you must pray, that the lord will have mercy upon you.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 08-May-2007 at 16:20

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 16:19
Originally posted by Viking

Hello

Can you give me some links connected with the history of vikings, their lifestyle, and so on...

i recommend this link..

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:19
Vikings.... creator... WHAT? What blasphemy is this?

Join us.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:26
pekau, do not advocate your ignorance so blatantly. It embarasses us.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>