Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the most dangerous snake to humans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is the most dangerous snake alive
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [61.54%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Squire View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Squire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the most dangerous snake to humans
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 19:28

Persons Killed 9
Persons Injured 65
Escaped 63
Pets Killed 12
Reported incidents in FL 144

this was one location. This location wasn't even the country its native to it was just a couple of snake that escaped from the zoo.One of these snakes also took down a 6 foot alligator in one hit it was a reticulated Python.
The photo at right was in 2005 when a released python pet ate a 6 foot long alligator and burst open.

Edited by Squire - 15-Apr-2007 at 19:29
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 21:23
Originally posted by Knights

The Eastern Cottonmouth would have to be a contender too. I would say that being bitten by one of them and surviving would be amongst the worst.
An Eastern Cottonmouth has haemotoxic enzymes and other proteins that are present in the venom. Haemotoxins have horrific consequences, as the haemotoxins attack the red blood cells and muscles/tissues and organs. Haemolysis occurs and terrible tissue destruction follows. Haemotoxins cause a far slower and more painful death, as you do not become paralyzed (neurotoxins).
The Russell's Viper mentioned above also has haemotoxins.

- Knights -

Also, don't let anyone try to tell you that snake isn't agressive.  I've seen 1-2 sites that say that.  Bull, that snake will go after you if it feels like it.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 23:01
Originally posted by Squire

Persons Killed 9
Persons Injured 65
Escaped 63
Pets Killed 12
Reported incidents in FL 144

this was one location. This location wasn't even the country its native to it was just a couple of snake that escaped from the zoo.One of these snakes also took down a 6 foot alligator in one hit it was a reticulated Python.
The photo at right was in 2005 when a released python pet ate a 6 foot long alligator and burst open.

Those statistics, wouldn't they be for the alligator rather than the python? Especially considering 'reported incidents in Florida'.
Anyway, bursting open like that can't be too good for the snake....
Here is a fairly disturbing image. Please note, it is a bit disturbing, so only open it if you feel inclined.
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/gallery/displaycomments.php?pos=-1428

Red Clay:
Eastern Cottonmouths are very feisty indeed! Again, one of the few snakes that will go out of their way to attack. Bad tempered little things!

- Knights -
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 00:14
Some Australian snake, I remember Steve mentioned it in one of his documentaries. Too bad he died by the electric snake..should've put that on the list. lolz
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:31
Stingray...?

Originally posted by rider

Hmmh. I was thinking, perhaps you could also present what you think are the three most poisonous or killing sea snakes in the world (might as well do it to five sea ones). Sea snakes aren't especially common in Europe and it might be more interesting than the ordinary land ones.

Thanks,

The top three most dangerous sea snakes is a lot harder to define, mainly because most are placid and non-aggressive, and also classification problems. For instance, there are true, ovoviviparous* sea snakes Hyrdophiinae and there are Laticaudinae, oviparous** sea snakes which are amphibious. Those species in Hydrophiinae are completely aquatic, the true sea snakes, retaining eggs in the body until they are ready to hatch. Those in Laticaudinae live on both land and water, most returning to land to lay eggs.

For this exercise, I will culminate both subfamilies into my list.

Banded Sea Krait Laticauda colubrina

The Banded Sea Krait is an amphibious, oviparous snake which lives in the reefs around South East Asia. They are generally non aggressive and keep to themselves. If they bit, they deliver deadly neurotoxins (see other posts) and myotoxins into the victim. Myotoxins cause severe breakdown (death of cells) of muscle, muscle paralysis, and then death due to paralysis of the diaphragm muscles. The neurotoxins attack the nervous system and brain at the same time, destroying neurons and paralysing the victim wherever the neurons are destroyed.
Monovalent*** antivenin is available for Sea Krait bite victims, and if medicated soon after injection, chances of survival are high.
In summary, the Sea Krait is an inquisitive snake, though not aggressive unless provoked. However, due to its curiosity, it is known for approaching swimmers. The swimmers - not knowing how to handle it - grab it, therefore provoking it and, wham, bitten. The venom gets to work, and paralysis at sea is a lot worse than on land due to relative isolation. Also, Sea Kraits do not give any warning before attack.
Note, the molecular structuring of Sea Krait's venom is different from all other snakes and is used to treat muscular diseases. Further research is being done into medicinal benefits.

Beaked Sea Snake Enhydrina schistosa

The Beaked Sea Snake is by far the most aggressive of all Sea Snakes. Just like an Eastern Cottonmouth or Mamba, they are known to just attack for no reason. These are among the most venomous snakes on earth as well, far more so than the Kraits. Being ovoviviparous, the Beaked lives entirely in water and gives birth to eggs which hatch immediately after developing within the body.
Again possessing neurotoxins and myotoxins, this snake is deadly unless treated quickly.
In summary, the Beaked Sea Snake is an aggressive and contentious snake, accounting for over 50% of sea snake bites, and over 90% of fatalities from sea snakes. They are extremely venomous too.

To be honest, I cannot choose a third, seeing as all other sea snakes are docile and are inseparable when it comes to dangerousness. If you want me to get some information about others tell me and I'll see what I can do.

Sea Snake venom tends to be largely neurotoxic. Neurotoxins are injected in rather small quantities and require to travel fair distances through the body (but upon reaching the location are fatal almost immediately). Consequently, nuerotoxicity is easily treated as long as antivenin is administered quickly. Cytotoxins and Haemotoxins of Vipers/Pit Vipers does damage upon contact (terrible local implications) and is injected in large quantities. The effect lasts longer and is more painful though, but is harder to produce an antivenin for.

Also, I felt to mention the snake with the longest fangs - the Gaboon Viper, Bitis gabonicus, of Western and Central Africa. This snake possesses wonderful camouflage, and its fangs can be up to 4cm, 1.6inches. Some say they can get to 2 inches....

*Reproducing with eggs that hatch as they are laid or very soon afterwards. While the egg retains within the mother, no connection with the mother (like with the placenta/umbilical cord in mammals for example) is evident, the egg contains all the needed nutrients
**Reproducing by laying eggs, external to the body
***Monovalent antivenin only applies for one type of snake's venom, polyvalent can be used to treat 2 more types

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 17-Apr-2007 at 05:33
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:16
Magnificent... but I found a mistake:

they are known to just attack for no reason

Entirely wrong, they only attack on Tuesdays or it is the second or third week of the month.

That's scientifically proven btw...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 18:54
Oh, is that true Rider? I was never aware of that...Wink

Well, next time you are swimming on the Great Barrier Reef, feel free to put your hand into one of their mouths - don't worry it won't bite, as long as it's a Tuesday or it is the second or third week of the month. Tongue
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:55

as long as it's a

I think sciences just bounce off you...

You can put your hand into their mouth, if it ISN'T a Tuesday or the second or third week of the month.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:58
Well I know that, but according to this 'scientific fact' of yours, they will not bite/attack you on those days Tongue Back on topic? 
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 19:26
LOL

I'll trust my killer instinct and i'll vote for black mamba as well

Edited by Athanasios - 30-Apr-2007 at 19:37

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 19:51
Originally posted by rider

Magnificent... but I found a mistake:

they are known to just attack for no reason

Entirely wrong, they only attack on Tuesdays or it is the second or third week of the month.

That's scientifically proven btw...

LOL

I think that's because of the primitive  instinct of survival...
I think that all beings act on a certain way when they feel in danger , likely they are "programmed" by their nature(but this is an irresponsible statement). I think that a zoologist would define an answer but is likely that this reaction is connected with the sensitive nervous sytem of the snakesErmm...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12