Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most heroic place of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most heroic place of your country
    Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 14:02

In Iran, I think it is the Babak Castle:

Babak Castle lies 16 kilometers from Kaleybar in East Azarbainan Province. It is 2,300 meters above the sea level and is surrounded by valleys measuring up to 600 meters in depth. The only access to the castle is a corridor-shaped route. The marvelous castle towers over numerous ramparts. It was from this castle that Babak Khorramdin and his few followers fought against the Arabs for 22 years.

It is said when Babak was finally arrested and his arm was first cut off, he dabbed the blood on his face with his other hand. The Caliph asked Babak what he was doing and Babak replied: "Because I am bleeding, I was worried my face may turn pale. I wanted to make sure no one gets the impression that I was scared of death..."

If it is not called "Chauvinism", every year in late June thousands of Iranians gather at Babak Castle for the annual commemoration of Babak Khorramdin.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 14:07
Impressive peak, looks like something from a movie
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 14:16

The most heroic place of my country is Veracruz.

The last battles for the Indpendece occured at Verzcruz. The blockade and the attack of the French in 1838. The US attack to the Veracruz garrison of 1847.
The French, Spaniard and British Invasion of 1862.
Finally , the US Invasion of 1917.

Regards
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:28
America

the alamo (if you want to consider it American and not Texan)
gettysburg
lincoln memorial maybe? (civil rights protests)
ground zero

and, since this is most heroic places of my country and not in my country, i'll throw in the d-day beaches at normandy
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:34
bunker hill, lexington and concord maybe?
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:36
Heh, in Poland we have so many such places that it is hard to say which was the most heroic. For last 200 years our soldiers always fought being outnumbered by the enemy and almost in every city you can find a heroic place.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:37
The most heroic event in Dutch history was probably the Battle in the Java Sea.
But it's a bit strange to call a piece of sea a heroic place.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 21:53
The entire city of Boston, the city that started the revolution, of the first actions against the Britihs with no precident and the nearby battle sites.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 06:30
France is full of history.

Near my home we have the "breche de Roland" (Roland's breech).

Roland was the Paladin of Charlemagne, he was killed at the battle of Roncevale against Basque rebels.

Legend says his sword was Durandal, the legendary sword of Hector, and rather than seeing it falled to the ennemy he tried to break it on the mountain. Yet the sword didn't broke and the mountain did.

A massive blow.

Since France wasa feudalist state (some sort of confederation) many area had their own history and heros. Especially Normandy, Aquitaine, Burgundy and some others.

I would mention Chalons, were Attila the Hun was defeated by Aetius and Theodorid.  Toulouse, were the wali of Al Andalous was killed during the siege by King Odo. Tours, were Charles Martel and Odo killed another Wali of Al Andalous. Bouvines, were the King of France Phillip II Augustus defeated the King of England John I Lackland and the Holy Roman Emperor Otton IV. Paris, were Count Eudes defeated the Vikings. Patay, were Joan of Arc defeated the English (among other places).  There are also heroic events of France but in other countries.

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 06:40
The most heroic place in Hellas?The whole country!
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 06:41
Isn't the above picture the Cirque du Gavarnie?
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 07:44
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Isn't the above picture the Cirque du Gavarnie?

Nope, the cirque de gavarnie isn't far though. But this one is the breche de Roland, marking the borderline with France and Spain. This picture is from me, we can see it in the distance.

Vae victis!
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 10:33
The most heroic place in Portugal is unknown to this day. It was the site of a battle between Afonso Henriques and five mourish kings (legend has it). Although reported to have occured at a site called Ourique, we are still unaware of the exact location, given that there are at least five Ouriques througout the Portuguease land, mostly concentrated under the Tagus river, which at the time would be deep in enemy territory. After conferencing with the Man Upstairs himself, Afonso decided to face the enemy with his much smaler army (a few dozen of knight folowed by a peasent mob). As legend goes, the mob enjoyed the victory so much, that they decided to pronouce Afonso Henriques as King of the Portuguese.     
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 12:36
mmh, we were enver often in the defense, so I can't think of any stronghold that could fit into Cyrus' pattern...but Leipzig (1813) probably comes closest. other than that probably Kalkriese, the site of the battle of Teutoburg forrest. there were two otehr battles/sieges that have been greatly exploited by Prussian propaganda, that is the siege of Colberg in Pommerania by the French in 1806/07 and the battle of Tannenberg 1914 agaisnt the Russians.

Edited by Temujin
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 13:33

Originally posted by Temujin

mmh, we were enver often in the defense, so I can't think of any stronghold that could fit into Cyrus' pattern...but Leipzig (1813) probably comes closest. other than that probably Kalkriese, the site of the battle of Teutoburg forrest. there were two otehr battles/sieges that have been greatly exploited by Prussian propaganda, that is the siege of Colberg in Pommerania by the French in 1806/07 and the battle of Tannenberg 1814 agaisnt the Russians.

heh, Leipzig is also such place for the Poles. Polish soldiers were covering the retreat of French army and prince Poniatowski died there.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 18:04

The location of the battle of mera is ours. We killed alot of knights that day, a good day and one of the few victories of my people from the skim battles we have fought throughout history.

North-East Estonia, Sinimed ( Bluehills in direct translation, but i have no idea how it acctually stands in English) where the Germans and Estonians tried to stop the soviets from entering deeper into Estonia in 1944.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 18:52
 Congradulations on considering aiding Nazis heroism.
For Russia I'd ahve to say the outer border of Khimki, the fartehst German advance in 1941. Too bad that the new government is so commercialized that the monument is surrounded by four stores which basically sell the same stuff as Ikea and an Ikea.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 08:18

And congratulations to you on finding a site of a battle for Communism a heroic place.

And i was not on the side of nazis in my previous post i just said they were there too. We Estonians have fought so few battles that it is the only real one to mention and our men fought bravely there. No nazi-loving here.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It is said when Babak was finally arrested and his arm was first cut off, he dabbed the blood on his face with his other hand. The Caliph asked Babak what he was doing and Babak replied: "Because I am bleeding, I was worried my face may turn pale. I wanted to make sure no one gets the impression that I was scared of death..."

If it is not called "Chauvinism", every year in late June thousands of Iranians gather at Babak Castle for the annual commemoration of Babak Khorramdin.

which Caliphat was that one

and why does the iranians visit the castle, i mean does the mullas say something about it? i guess he will be considered "Kafer" or disbeliver

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 07:04

There isnt any specific place in Turkey to be called as "the most heroic", because Turkish lans were totally owned and kept with sacrifice and heroism...

But the huge sacrifice and heroism that our nation showed in the Gallipoli War is one of the most famous ones in history which is known and accepted by all nations...

user posted image

Turkish soldiers fighting against a union of Anzac, English and French armies and their colonial armies...

user posted image

What can I say about this? Turkish soldiers tried to help each other in that poor conditions and they even helped the Anzac soldiers who were dying...

These are only two of the huge monuments built for the memory of the Turkish sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of young lifes...

There is a legend which I was also an eyewitness of that no birds make this place dirty or noisy even though there are lots of birds in that region...

Only one of hundreds of graveyards for Anzacs, British and French armies even though they were our enemies...

Commander of the Anafarta Group Mustafa Kemal with his battle friends. (1915)

There are some examples of Turkish weaponary and enemy weaponary in museums of Gallipoli. There we can understand the technology difference btw. the forces...

There you can find letters that soldiers wrote to their mothers before the battle. Most of them tried to motivate their mothers about the conditions and tolld their mothers not to be sorry for them, because they would die like their ancestors with honor, for their nation, beliefs and God...

There are also two bullets sticked together during the battles. And lots of bones and clothes of soldiers who were running to enemy cannons despite they knew they would die...

After the great war, universities and even high schools didnt have any graduates for years all over Turkey...

But it was worth for my ancestors. Their lifes werent such important when considered with the future of their wifes, sons and great sons... And dying with honor for God was the inheritence of their great ancestors... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>