Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the oldest ancient language still used ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Romanus Maximus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Romanus Maximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the oldest ancient language still used ?
    Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 04:18
What is the oldest ancient language still in existance ?
I would have thought it would be out of the following :-
1) Greek
2) Persian
3) Hebrew
4) Chinese
I am not sure if Greek and Persian qualify as I am
not sure how close the modern versions relate to
the ancient versions ?
This is a question that has always perplexed me.
Can someone finally solve this and also state
roughly how old each language is ?

Clap
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 06:20
This question has already gone round many times.Can we we move ahead

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/24988

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 11:01
But that link you provided gives no definitive answers, just a bunch of nationalist claims. Besides, all languages evolve over time, to the point where 1-2 thousand years later, a language is almost incomprehensible to a normal speaker.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 11:22
None of those - my bet would be the language of the San Bushmen
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 11:28
Originally posted by Romanus Maximus

I am not sure if Greek and Persian qualify as I am
not sure how close the modern versions relate to
the ancient versions ?
This is a question that has always perplexed me.
Can someone finally solve this and also state
roughly how old each language is ?

Clap

The Persian has a continuity I think. Not sure. When It comes to Greek you have the classical attic greek as a basis and the next level is an evolution. However, you can coun't the non demotic dialects as surviving ancient languages. I'm preparing a list of those who survive or survived until the 20th century.

My first contribution was about the Spartan Language: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18631

It is not demotic and it does not derive from the Classical Greek. It is a Dorian idioma.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 13:04
Well  I belive Aborogine language is the oldest oneWink
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 14:37

Well here is another one from Answers .I am not  sure if this answers your question .It may, however, add a dimention to the discussion . This also touches upon the point you made regarding evolution of a language over a long period.Please take a look.

There's a bit of a problem with the question itself -- LIVING languages, such as those we use for day-to-day communication, are ALWAYS changing, but generally do so gradually, so that they maintain a connection with the past. Thus, for instance, we speak of "English" of the 8th century A.D. and of today, recognizing their organic connection, even though, placed side by side, they are DIFFERENT languages, for their speakers would not be able to understand each other. So, are they "the same language" or not?!

Looking at it this way, the question is almost impossible to answer the question, because we might take ANY language back generation by generation through the millenia.

Because of this, French, Spanish and Italian are all "Vulgar Latin", that is, they have as much to be being a continuation of the "living" language of Latin (naturally modified through the centuries) as MODERN Mandarin Chinese does to be a continuation of the Chinese language spoken two millenia or more ago. The fact that the NAME of these later versions of the language changed in one case but not in another does not change the organic connnetion, but is an historical accident.

There is one other way to approach this question -- by looking for a language which is still used today in essentially the SAME form as long ago. As noted above, this really does NOT happen with daily LIVING languages. But some are preserved (or revived) for SPECIAL use. Best example of this is liturgical languages. In this case, the oldest is probably "Classical Sanskrit" of the first millenium B.C., which is still used for liturgical purposes. But again, this would NOT really qualify as a "living language", since it is not used in daily life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sanskrit...

You have written about some of the oldest language for which we have written records . It is likely Mandarin, Sumerian or Egyptian may also come close to the ones you have mentioned.One cannot be sure.  Only continued archaeological work and investigation may help   finding some pointers. But it appears NONE of these ancient languages as also Mayan is spoken today.

Edited by sreenivasarao s - 13-Apr-2007 at 14:40
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 15:23

The culture, language nor lifestyle of San Bushmen has changed much in 60,000 years and modern genetic evidence points to every human being alive being descended from these people. 

So I think it is safe to conclude that their language is the oldest continuous language alive today.

Sreeniva. makes some good points when we talk of languages in changing environments.

But excluding the language of such archaic people - it is possible for a Modern Persian speaker to read texts from 11-1200 years ago and fully comprehend them, such as those of the Samanids, Ferdowsi etc.  I am not sure if this is the case in any other language.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 00:03
The question itself has very little meaning.  In order to prove the antiquity (even including its evolution) of a language, we would have to have written materials.  Just because we can chart the progress of a language for several millennia still does prove that it is the "oldest".  Non-literary languages may have an even older existence, but because of a lack of literary evidence, there is simply no way to prove that.  Some try to use genetic evidence to find the answer, but this itself does not prove anything since the language of a people can change due to either conquest or economic advantage or even through evolution.  The language of France more than two millennia ago was a dialect of Celtic but it is now a language derived mainly from Latin, hence the language of a non-literary people may have changed many times during the life of the group.  20,000 years is a long time even in linguistic terms.  Indo-European languages cannot be seen beyond 6500 years, although the earliest written evidence of it only dates from about 3600 years ago.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 10:53
What about Basque and the Baltic languages.  Aren't those the ones that have changed the least over the millenia?  (Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure.--haha..)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:39

All four languages you mentioned are used today.But they differ from the Ancient ones,although i do not know to what degree.I suppose that Middle Eastern languages ,such as Hebrew, are quite Ancient,but on the other hand,we have ,in Hellas for example, the languages used by Myceneans and Minoans ,which were older than Attic Hellenic ,but they are greatly related to them.It's very complicated.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:50
Originally posted by sreenivasarao s

This question has already gone round many times.Can we we move ahead

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/24988

lol tamils ruling sumeira that was funnyLOL who was that guy?
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 07:38

"What is the oldest ancient language still in existance?"

How about Sign Language or Body Language...

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:03
Originally posted by Gargoyle

"What is the oldest ancient language still in existance?"

How about Sign Language or Body Language...

Or... the Grunt! :) that would make Metal heads the oldest civilisation... Tongue

Now for real:

Apart from the good points on languages changing beyond recognition, you also have to take into account artifice: As far as I know, Hebrew died out as a spoken language about 1000 bc. It continued as a religious language only, (like Latin), and was only this last century reanimated into life...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 16:32
Euskera, or the Basque language is pre Indo European and may date as far back as 40,000 years.  Only 4 languages survived the IE incursion, Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian and Euskera.  The first three are related, however there is no connection to any other language on earth with Euskera.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 17:13
i beleive it has to be some african lanugage.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 19:10
Isn't magyar a later arrival into europe?
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:08
hmm the oldest ancient language still used...i am throwing my hat for Yiddish
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 23:23
Mr.Lawrence Lo , a Software Engineer from CA in USA has developed a remarkably good website about ancient writing systems (scripts).One of the pages in the site maps the time -line of ancient scripts.Even though the Time- line is NOT about languages per se, it still is  very interesting . Visit the link :
http://www.ancientscripts.com/ws_timeline.html

Edited by sreenivasarao s - 18-Apr-2007 at 23:25
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 02:52
As you know ancient languages written in Cuneiform (the world's oldest writing system) could be deciphered just because Persian is still a live language.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 20-Apr-2007 at 02:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>