Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Visigoth history?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visigoth history?
    Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:16
I am fairly uneducated about the tribe of visigoths however I do have a question I would like to ask. Ive heard a story upon how somewhere around 500 bc, the Visigoths attacked Rome and being hugely overpowered by the Legions, fled through lands until they reached the Swiss Alps (Tyroleon mountains?). Anyhow I have also heard that they made a town their known as Hafling and also bred the horses for transportation in the mountains created the horse breed we know today as Haflingers.

Anyhow I found this story fascinating and yet ive searched everywhere and everything and have found no connection, between anything or found any history about this. If anyone knows about this legend, I would be immensly greatful. In any case if this isn't true does anyone have anything similiar to this, about tribes living in mountainous European areas of the world back ages ago? The reason being I want to write a semi realistic story of something like this. Thanks.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 09:41
500 BC and the Swiss Alps would have been inaccurate to place the Visigoths.  In 500 BC the Swiss Alps (and surrounding regions) were under the possession of the Celts.  Later, the specific Celts (Gauls) of the region were called Helvetti. 

The Visigoths are not noted until about AD 270 after the Romans abandoned Dacia, which was then taken over primarily by the Visigoths. 

Now, the Visigoths did attack Rome in AD 410 but their stay in Italy was brief and they eventually made their way into Gaul and Spain. 
 Post Reply Post Reply