Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MIT Theories and Methods of History, lecture 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIT Theories and Methods of History, lecture 1
    Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 17:05

The author of the notes is Prof. Peter Perdue.

I was going to wait until next Monday to start a discussion on this lecture notes, but they were so good that I felt that we should start right away.

Here are a few sentences of the introductory lecture.

I believe that the best way to learn how to do historical research is to read model works in the field, critique them, then try to do something similar yourself. (This is an ancient Chinese method of teaching landscape painting, for example: copy masterpieces). But there are other approaches, more commonly employed in methodology courses. I should justify why we do not follow them, but you should become at least passingly familiar with each of these approaches, too.

If you don't mind, I would like it if we can have a discussion on these lecture notes. :) Read the notes for the first lecture, and copy and paste just the part that you find interesting, and hopefully other people will join into the discussion.

MIT Histography Lecture notes

Edited by hugoestr - 05-Apr-2007 at 17:06
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 00:03
The part when he talks about the method of "copying masterpieces" I can relate to. That kind of technique helped me a lot in my work.
 Post Reply Post Reply