Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

simalaraties between south india and africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simalaraties between south india and africa
    Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 02:06
how is it that south india and Africa are so simalar in things? south india definatly looks like part of africa for some reason, i guess once the india landmass was part of africa, i guess that has to do with something
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 02:24
Not sure what you mean by "things". I take it you mean the animal species. I'm no expert but would guess the fact that the Indian sub-continent drifted from Africa as at least part of the reason.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 02:48
If you do mean in terms of nature, the answer is that Africa and South Asia used to enjoy a fertile connection of land in the Middle East, allowing the spread of many animal species. Many of the species existing in South Asia and Africa, such as the elephant, also existed in the Middle East but were wiped out by human activity and possibly climate change.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 06:41
If you are talking about people and culture, then the east coast of africa as far south as Madagascar have been trading with the, particularly south, indians for thousands of years. Not to mention the British moving thousands of Indian peoples to South and East africa to work on plantations only a century ago.
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 20:01
yeah i am talkin about preety much everything, people, culture, land, nature etc.... like a lot of south indian tribes have a lot in commen with african tribes
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:36
I think that there is a superficial resemblance which is the result of very similar environmental conditions. On the other hand, one should be careful about saying that they have a lot in common. For starters, both south India and especially Africa, have a very wide variety of cultures and languages. If one analyzes the respective social structures, religion, language, architecture and arts, one would probably notice enormous differences between South India and most of Africa. Most cultural similarities are likely the result of the two or even three millenia of trade between India and the East coast of Africa.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 15:58
i heard that dravidians have many similar genes as some eastern african tribes, is it true?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 23:08
As do the scottish, the Amazon tribes and the Japanese: we all have similar genes. Unless there's a specific marker, that doesn't mean much.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:24
wow u seem to be really racist, why though?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 23:11
ConfusedShocked I find it interesting that you got the impression that I was racist, when in fact, I had the exact opposite intention. To elaborate, I think that a statement such as "many similar genes" is not very useful, unless we are talking about specific "marker" genes which are only encountered in certain populations (and there's not many of those). My remark was referring to the fact that as humans we all have similar genes: in fact there's more variation among a given population, than between the so-called races. So one could say that some from among the scottish, the Amazon tribes and the Japanese, the Dravidians and the Africans, they all share similar genes.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 05:54
Once India and Africa really was connected, but that was hundreds of million years ago, long before man existed. So because of that (and many other circumstances) some flora and fauna are similar.

Concerning humans there are some differences and some similarities between Africa and southern India. Some of the similarities is due to contact (trade) and others are due to similarities in climate and ecology. This ofcource does not apply for the whole of Africa but only those parts who lies at the same ocean (the Indian Ocean) as southern India.
Explorador View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Explorador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 14:53
Africa and India were part of Gondwana, the Southern supercontinent:

So flora and fauna were very similar several million of years ago. Since then, they have evolved separately, but you'll still find some similarities. For example, lemurs currently live in Madagascar and South Asia.

Of course, this has no effect on human culture.
anum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote anum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 04:47
There are some tribes in south india that are very similar to african tribes
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 05:11

There are some tribes in south india that are very similar to african tribes

Oh really, please elaborate on which specific tribes so that we can discuss the various differences and similarities.

I mean there are some tribes in America that are very similar to Aboriginees, they were forced onto reservations. This-post-of-yours-made-no-sense-at-all,-and-I-think-you-are-an-idiot,-but-I-am-so-not-going-to-drop-down-to-your-level-and-admit-it-to-your-face
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 05:55

Some South Indian tribes on the coast migrated from Africa. Here 2-3rds of our coastline is populated by decendents of AFricans. 

Mekrani people of Pakistan (not India)

Edited by Sparten - 27-Dec-2007 at 05:56
 Post Reply Post Reply