Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Higher Education in your Countries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Higher Education in your Countries
    Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:02

Hello everybody.

I am conducting a comparative research on Public Higher Education (universities, faculties etc). I know that some of you could find no interess in these issues, but I am otherwise sure that some of you do, and I need your help.
If you have any information regarding the Law (or laws) who rule the system of public higher education in your country, please let me know, post me some links, or the law, or your comment on it.
*by public I mean - not private, owned and controled by the state.

thank you in advance
AZ
Prej heshtjes...!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 16:33
In the U.S. it is different from state to state.

California

This site with information about California also has links to the Department of Education and to the different higher education systems.

Roughly, California has a two tier public system: University of California and California State University.
University of California is the higher tier, and it accepts, by law, the highest percentage of graduates. The State University system is supposed to accept about 20%, but I am not sure.

There is also a third tier which is the Community College. The community college plays many roles, such as providing higher education, technical degrees, adult education, and remedial education. In Mexico, there are institutions taking care of these roles.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 18:02
12 pages (pdf) on the Danish education system.

~ Northman
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 13:23
Thank you Norman and Hugoestr, it was a big help indeed.

I would be interested more specifically in the indipendence of the public universities, how is that applied, how wide that is, concerning financial issues, and academical issues. In other words, how much is the public educational system centralised, and who controls it institutionally.
How is the academical staff elected, how do universities allocate their funds etc etc.
I know that in Greece they have a very interesting status for the Public Universities, there exists a "Sanctuary Law", but I dont know the details.
I would be very interested also in other models, from other countries.
Prej heshtjes...!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 16:58
Academic freedom

This article deals mainly with American academic freedom, although it mentions other countries as well.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 05:34
Would this help?

http://www.ut.ee/personnel/employment/documents

I don't actually think it will but it was the closest I could find. You might want to lurk around on the site.

Edited by rider - 06-Apr-2007 at 05:36
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 05:21
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 03:17
In Hong Kong, there are nine universities,and some colleges which some course will be recognized as degree programme, the income of the universties mostly from government , and a broad of directors will distribute the money, now private income playing a more and more important role.
leung
 Post Reply Post Reply