Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Norses: Were the Skraelings Amerindians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norses: Were the Skraelings Amerindians?
    Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:26
Originally posted by Boreasi

NO ONE in my schoolyard was ever in doubt to wether they were Gypsies, Romani, Sami, Finn/Kven, Swede or Norwegian.

Can you really pick out Swedes with absolute certainty?
I certainly can't do that here.

Romani I can understand, but not the others, although admittedly some of the Smi's look "peculiar", some of them look just Nordic, and some (not many, though) Nordic's look just like them.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 21:30
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

In northern Sweden, where the traditional Swede and Sami still live side by side - without all these other representatives - the local inhabitants still see and relate to these traditional differences, with immediate recognition and without any notable problem.

Says who? I've lived there most of my life and I never acquired that ability.

Actually the easiest way (except listening to them speaking) to recognize if someone is a Swede, Dane, Norwegian or Sami is to look at their clothes and behaviour. Looks won't take you anywhere.

Since I was born and raised in the arctic north I can't but say I'm sorry for your ignorance. NO ONE in my schoolyard was ever in doubt to wether they were Gypsies, Romani, Sami, Finn/Kven, Swede or Norwegian. Even if we all shared the common dialect of the area we were born and rised in.

Ask any old Sami - and he can probably guide you into the nuances needed to understand the various discrepancies in question. Their eyes are usually very sharp in recognizing the various nuances of nature - also of this kind.

Good luck!

Edited by Boreasi - 01-May-2007 at 21:33
Be good or be gone.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 14:03

In northern Sweden, where the traditional Swede and Sami still live side by side - without all these other representatives - the local inhabitants still see and relate to these traditional differences, with immediate recognition and without any notable problem.

Says who? I've lived there most of my life and I never acquired that ability.

Actually the easiest way (except listening to them speaking) to recognize if someone is a Swede, Dane, Norwegian or Sami is to look at their clothes and behaviour. Looks won't take you anywhere.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 00:38

Still? The difference was more clear before, when "racial mixture" were less usual. And still - after generations of mixing - you can still pick 9 out of 10 samis from the general crowd of Wilhelmina and Lule - the two Swedish cities with the highest percentage of Samis. In the ethnic mixing-bowl of Stockholm that migth be more difficult and tricky, since todays Stockholmer may have a great variety of genetic inlfuences, like Marrocan, Spanish, Basque, Walonian, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Kurd, Kazak, Tibetan, Chineese - as well as Sami. In northern Sweden, where the traditional Swede and Sami still live side by side - without all these other representatives - the local inhabitants still see and relate to these traditional differences, with immediate recognition and without any notable problem. Just as we still see the difference before we hear it - between the "typical Swede" and the "typical Norwegian". Not to forget the typical Dane, who can be identified at sigth even in a crowd of Germans. In the mountain-areas of northern Norway, Sweden and Finland we still don't have a big problem observing a Swede from a Norwegian or a Sami from a Finn. We may even discriminate between the northern Finns, called Kvens - and the southern Finns, called Finns. (Which is a bit funny, since the differences between northern vs. southern Swedes - or Norwegians, repectively, are more difficult to spot - before they start speaking...)Even if we - in our day and age - wear the same clothes, drive the same cars and enjoy the same liquor, attend the same kind of schools AND the exactly same parties, we STILL may look and speak a little different. Is there a problem with that - in Stockholm?

Well, I declare!
You have magic abilities!

I.e. no you can't. You can suspect something on an individual level at best. Often you will simply be wrong. It was always like that with attempts to link morphology with ethnicity. Stick to the genetics. Type thinking never worked in the first place. (I know its popular with some around this site. Still doesn't make it work. Stick to genetics.)

As for the "genetic influence" in Stockholm, last time I checked Stockholmers were not drosophilia. This international mix you're talking about could only occur in the last 20-30 years, way too short to have any noticeable effect on the vast majority of individuals yet. (When a Turkish sailor stepped off the boat for a few hours shore leave in the 1950's , he was interviewed by the morning papers for being such a rareity.) Come back in a couple of centuries.
One must not insult the future.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 22:38

Quote, Tommy:

Well, according to the record of the Portuguese, they stated that the King of Norway had a mysterious land at the west, his ship would go there, and brought back animal skin,the ship spent one year to go there and returned,but the King kept the existence of the land as a secret.

That was new to me. Do you have any reference on that?

Found it?

I don't have references at hand, however I have seen the subject before and there are documents that refer to this,  But, things like this aren't unusual.  There are countless same ideas recorded for centuries.  Punt, was for a time, thought to have been possibly Central America, the theory derived from the same type of information.   

Edited by red clay - 10-Apr-2007 at 22:49
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 21:34

Quote, Tommy:

Well, according to the record of the Portuguese, they stated that the King of Norway had a mysterious land at the west, his ship would go there, and brought back animal skin,the ship spent one year to go there and returned,but the King kept the existence of the land as a secret.

That was new to me. Do you have any reference on that?

Found it?
Be good or be gone.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 21:27
Jams, Tommy

I think you have a quite un-biased approach to these questions - which is higly necessary and appreciated.

I also think that a lot of emotional stuff, "backward" prejudice and misunderstood empaty may still cloud the debate connected to "etnicity" - not to say "race" or "kind".

Even though the recent progress of bio-molecular science starts to clear up some major outlines and bring some basic facts of historic relevance back to the debate. To understand history, not to use and misuse it - of course. I think the European academia have learnt that lesson quite well, after all. Thus there is no peculiar reason for us to dwell with those mistakes, but to use the common knowledge along with specific information form the sciences of antropology, etnology and biology to get rid of any reminiscences of abusiveness, as we acknowledge the genuinity and value of each and every cultural group that were able to survive, and sustain, throughout the turmoils and horrors of history.

Thus we may expand out knowledge of the Sami etnicity and history to further their own understanding of their true roots - to actually repair some of the damage done to their culture throughout the last centuries.

The same we migth try to do as we investigate the truer history and origin of the other populations of the northern hemisphere - wheter they are Russians, Finns, Swedes, Danes, Anglons or Irish - as well as Sami, Samojeds, Navaho, Objiwa, Inuit or Eskimo...

Be good or be gone.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 20:37
Hope,

Quote;

"While the majority of mtDNA diversity in the northern Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish Sami is accounted for by haplogroups V and U5b1b1, the southern Swedish Sami have other haplogroups and a frequency distribution similar to that of the Continental European population."

Comment:
The influence from the European genome among the Samis are strongest in the south. The northern Samis have maintained their Mongolian genetics to a greater extent - due to less Scandinavian influence.

Quote;
"Haplogroup Z is found at low frequency in the Sami and Northern Asian populations but is virtually absent in Europe."

Comment: See?

Quote:
"Several conserved substitutions group the Sami Z lineages strongly with those from Finland and the Volga-Ural region of Russia, but distinguish them from Northeast Asian representatives."

Comment:
Which means that the haplogroup Z originated as the Sami got mixed with the Finnish gene-pol at an early stage - creating a sligth difference between the Samis and their eastern brethren.

Quote:
"This suggests that some Sami lineages shared a common ancestor with lineages from the Volga-Ural region as recently as 2700 years ago, indicative of a more recent contribution of people from the Volga-Ural region to the Sami population."

Comment:
Presumig that the Finns originate in the Volga-bend of the Ural region. Today we know that NOT to be true, since the Finns seemto carry proves of a "central European origin".

Consequently the Samis must have gained their Asian charcteristics before 2.700 BP - which is the latest date when the mix between the Finnsh and the Sami gen-pools got started.

Quote, Hope;

"And you still can't pick out the 15.000 Sami living in Stockholm in a crowd."

Still? The difference was more clear before, when "racial mixture" were less usual. And still - after generations of mixing - you can still pick 9 out of 10 samis from the general crowd of Wilhelmina and Lule - the two Swedish cities with the highest percentage of Samis. 

In the ethnic mixing-bowl of Stockholm that migth be more difficult and tricky, since todays Stockholmer may have a great variety of genetic inlfuences, like Marrocan, Spanish, Basque, Walonian, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Kurd, Kazak, Tibetan, Chineese - as well as Sami.

Just as we still see the difference before we hear it - between the "typical Swede" and the "typical Norwegian". Not to forget the typical Dane, who can be identified at sigth even in a crowd of Germans.

In the mountain-areas of northern Norway, Sweden and Finland we still don't have a big problem observing a Swede from a Norwegian or a Sami from a Finn. We may even discriminate between the northern Finns, called Kvens - and the southern Finns, called Finns. (Which is a bit funny, since the differences between northern vs. southern Swedes - or Norwegians, repectively, are more difficult to spot - before they start speaking...)

Even if we - in our day and age - wear the same clothes, drive the same cars and enjoy the same liquor, attend the same kind of schools AND the exactly same parties, we STILL may look and speak a little different. Is there a problem with that - in Stockholm?

Edited by Boreasi - 10-Apr-2007 at 21:33
Be good or be gone.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 05:50
The oldest Smi remains I've heard about are 5600 years old, or something like that, with some evidence of 8000 years old settlement. Those might not really have been Smi as we know them today, but the area was populated.

Another thing, the Smi cannot have been the Skraelings, because the Norse, especially those from Norway, and they were the ones going to Greenland and America,  knew very well the Smi, so they would have described them as so, if they met them.

Edited by Jams - 09-Apr-2007 at 11:45
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 20:09

<h3 minmax_bound="true">Genetic trails:</h3>

<p minmax_bound="true">This suggests an arrival in the region soon
after the retreat of the glacial ice, either by way of Continental
Europe and/or the Volga-Ural region.

So it's either or both, but nothing is really settled for now it seems.

The ancestors of the Sami walked in as soon as the ice retreated enough, something like 15.000 years ago.

Likely one contribution came from the south, others from the Urals in the east.

Any link with other arctic peoples to the east is quite weak, and probably non-existant with the Inuits.

And you still can't pick out the 15.000 Sami living in Stockholm in a crowd.
One must not insult the future.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 17:07
Yes, the languages are related, especially Finnish & Estonian, less so the Smi languages.
However, the Hungarian language seem to be much more distantly related.
Or so they say, I don't speak any of those languages!
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 06:37
Just a note to the Finnish-Hunnic thing:

Finnish belongs to the same linguistic group as the Samis, the Estonians and the Hungarians.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 05:55
Actually, the Nordic countries were NOT invaded by the Huns, or anyone else, from outside of Europe. If anything, other than the western countries like Britain and Spain etc., the Nordic countries incl. Finland are the ones that had the LEAST "Hun" influence.

If you ever came to Finland, you'll have admit they look just like any Scandinavian in general. Sure, there's the odd exotic looking person, but they're in the Scandinavian countries too, even where I live in Denmark, and we have had absolutely no Hun (or Smi) influence here.
(Alhough personally I'm part Finnish, but that's recent)
The "exoticness" frequency may be slightly higher in Finland, but it's not something conected with the Huns. Rather, if anything, it may be an "Uralic" thing, whatever that is.

That Finnish friend must have been joking!

Boreasi, we may not actually disagree as much as I thought.
The way I see it, the Uralic branch (maybe a misnomer, but the term has sorta stuck) "branched off" from the other Europids at an early stage, perhaps as far back as the branch of of the ones who became (Northern)Mongoloids, or perhaps a bit later, and this branch moved about and spread until it reconected in the west with other Europids, while in the east they reconected with the Mongoloid branch - thus becoming Nenets. A few stayed relatively outside of influence (Mansi/Khanty) but were later a bit influenced by both Nenets and Finnic peoples (Komi I think] While the western part may have been the Smi, who in turn were quite isolated, but also had some late influence from Finns -( I'm not absolutely convinced Smi are Uralic, though, they're somewhat Unique)
This may have happened multiple times, complicating the matter further.

We're talking a timeframe of 10000+ years here, of course!

Edited by Jams - 08-Apr-2007 at 06:15
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 04:34
But some people say that there is no ethnical connection between Finns and Vikings, but they are both white people, One of my teachers stated that she had a Finns friend, and the friend stated that they were the offspring of the Huns, then this is not correct?
leung
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 23:35

Genetic trails:

The genetic origin of the Sami is enigmatic and contributions from Continental Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia have been proposed. To address the evolutionary history of northern and southern Swedish Sami, we have studied their mtDNA haplogroup frequencies and complete mtDNA genome sequences. While the majority of mtDNA diversity in the northern Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish Sami is accounted for by haplogroups V and U5b1b1, the southern Swedish Sami have other haplogroups and a frequency distribution similar to that of the Continental European population. Stratification of the southern Sami on the basis of occupation indicates that this is the result of recent admixture with the Swedish population. The divergence time for the Sami haplogroup V sequences is 7600 YBP (years before present), and for U5b1b1, 5500 YBP amongst Sami and 6600 YBP amongst Sami and Finns. This suggests an arrival in the region soon after the retreat of the glacial ice, either by way of Continental Europe and/or the Volga-Ural region. Haplogroup Z is found at low frequency in the Sami and Northern Asian populations but is virtually absent in Europe. Several conserved substitutions group the Sami Z lineages strongly with those from Finland and the Volga-Ural region of Russia, but distinguish them from Northeast Asian representatives. This suggests that some Sami lineages shared a common ancestor with lineages from the Volga-Ural region as recently as 2700 years ago, indicative of a more recent contribution of people from the Volga-Ural region to the Sami population.

(Gyllensten et al, University of Upsala, 2006)

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14470&PN=3

Edited by Boreasi - 07-Apr-2007 at 23:37
Be good or be gone.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:29
Tommy,

The Finns are NOT from an Uralian root - but are the original population of the eastern part of Fenno-Skandia, while the  Swedes, Danes and Norse are their western counterparts.

That's been the case since mesolothic time. They both spread from the Baltic, after ice-time - born out of the same original "proto-caucasians" that had survived in a "biotic refugia" - up north, during the end of ice-time, according to the more recent sources.

The Finns spread east-wards over a vast area - from Transylvania to Tocharia. We see those traces already during the various stages of stone-age.

In western Europe these eastern Finns were originally called "Vaner" or "Vends" ("Vene", "Wende" "Wendi") - carrying amber from the Baltic to the Black Sea - and onwards. Thus we find "Schytian" mummies in their easternmost off-springs - the Tarim-bassin, in present China. The Chinese wall pretty much explains their eastern border.

Simultaniously another branch of people came out of the Himalayan mountains - that later made it along the northern coast of Russia to Scandinavia. Thus we have Samojeds and Sami.  The Himalayan population had kept the contact with their southern brothers much longer though, since they did not live isolated from their tropical origin during ice-time, but rather as the northenmost branch of the asian peoples. Thus we see their pigmentation to be far more intact - compared to the "refugians" that became the caucasian origin.

Jams,
The present population of Samis are definitly "European", in any juridical term, whatsoever. But their etnic and cultural characteristics originates from an altaic descent - not much doubt about that. Most of the northern samis still carry their pigment very clearly, as do the eskimos and the aleut-inuits.

Thus you were absolutely correct about Anna Kriistina Juuso. I just wonder if she could pass in a mongolian or tibetan beuty-contest?!

These mongolian branches have traditionally lived by a nomadic life-style and used the "Yur-ta-principle" when building their homes. Thus  have the circular cone-building as "lavvus" and "tipis" on each side of the north Atlantic, paralell to the squares and angles of the eurasian settlers.

As they have settled inbetween Scandinavians, Finns and American Indians they have adapted different morphologic traits that separate them genetically - today. But they still all share a common origin - as can be seen also in their respective traditions of architecture, life-style, clothing and cultural expressions. Their long, due and close relationship with the Finnish tribes of eastern Russia have made  very special impact on the western branch of the Himalayan descendants, as they have adapted to the Finno-Ugrian language.

Thus they were able to live successfully and prosperously side by side - for millenias - without ever getting into serious conflicts. Because they had a very clear division of culture - the Samojoeds and Samis were high-landers that lived "with a ligth bag" - with seasonal migrations to get to the scarcer sources of nature. Meanwhile the Finns would stick to their forests, rivers and lowlands - for the traditional fishery, log-production, lowland agriculture, boat-building and river-trade - connected to their Scandinavian neighbours that developed coastal setlements, ships and ocean-sailings.

When these "goths" reached America they populated the empty land of the east-coast and its islands. The Norse buildings and tools from the Orkneys are very similar to the Mound-builders of the US.

Thus the Norse kept their connections across the Atlantic already during neolithic time.  As the Inuits arrived they became a normal part of the scarce northmen that inhabitated the rural, arctic part of north America - too.

Thus we may see that there are two differnt styles of life-style and architecture among the North American Indians - too. The ones that were singing - like you can hear the Norwegian joiker - you may understand what the later Norsemen called them "hollers" - which in Norwegian can  still be written "skraelings"...

Edited by Boreasi - 07-Apr-2007 at 23:28
Be good or be gone.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 11:53
I actually posted the miss Tibet 2004 on a Mongolian forum, and the Mongolians there agreed that she would not look too alien there. She could pass for Mongolian.

Never the less, Eastern Smi are often blond, the Finnish ones.
Technically, the Smi have short faces, while northern Mongoloids have long (and wide-flat) faces, so there's a big morphological difference.
Also, Smi aren't sinodont at all, and they have in fact small teeth as a characteristica - while northern Mongoloids have very large teeth. Furthermore, DNA test show they're their own, and mostly unrelated to those northern Mongoloids, but very related to Europeans, because they are Europeans.

However, just to be a little bit on topic:
Smi artist sa Simma with her Native American husband Ouch

Ps. Eskimos have NO blondism, at least not the Kalaallit/Greenlandic Inuit ones, unless they're mixed or sick.

Pps. The Russian film you're talking about - the woman is Smi, I already mentioned that!! Inari-Sami, I think, at least she's from Finland.
There's nothing remotely un-european about her:

Edited by Jams - 07-Apr-2007 at 15:17
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 03:51
But Finns also from Uralic region, but I do not think they have Asian root?
leung
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 03:15
The Samis had an eastern origin, simply. The same ones as the Inuit - just an "opposite" branch - from the same Uralic origin.

http://www.indians.org/Resource/FedTribes99/fedtribes99.html

http://www.usm.maine.edu/gany/webaa/disapear.htm

http://boxer.senate.gov/services/CAlinks/indians/tribalgroups.cfm

The sound of a Skrael;
http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=414#
Be good or be gone.
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:45
But some samis clearly had Asian, or Mongolian -charactheristics , they had ethnical connection with people of Siberia or east asia
leung
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>