Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Draft for membership on Academic members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draft for membership on Academic members
    Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 14:16

Academic Member

Membership Rules:

To receive the title of Academic member
* The applicant should not have had any formal warning or suspension for the prior three months
* The applicant should have over 100 posts
* The applicant can write one article for the magazine meeting a criteria defined by our members or
* The applicant can submit 10 post/thread contributions that meets the post criteria

Post and Article Criteria:

Article:
*The topic must be about history
*It should have more than two sources
*Each post should be in the members' own words.
*The article should be greater than 350 words
*Quotations should be less than a third of the document.
(If one wish to quote longer passages, please add an appendix which will not count towards the total word count)

*It should have sources
*Each post should be in the members' own words.
*The topic in the thread is discussed with throughly, with more than 350 words dedicated to historical discussion in the given thread by the author
*Quotations should be less than a third of the post to qualify for word count.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:51
gentle bump.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:10
Originally posted by hugoestr

gentle bump.

..i am not sure if i have got this correct, but are you asking us to nominate other members for the title?...and that they have to fit the criteria you have asked for?......or is this what members have to 'aim for' to attain the title?...

..if its nominations, i have one or two i believe deserve the title but i will waitt until confirmation of my understanding or lack of!!!!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:42
I think he wanted us to comment the draft. And therefore make it better in all ways.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..if its nominations, i have one or two i believe deserve the title but i will waitt until confirmation of my understanding or lack of!!!!

Oh, and I think that we already own a quite decent list of people that might be interested.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 15:30
Originally posted by rider

Oh, and I think that we already own a quite decent list of people that might be interested.

..oh, right, the 'candidates' already exist on a 'list', so the criteria is already set then?.....

....i think my question still stands, when i said 'us', i meant will other forum members have a say in nominating others to be on the 'list', not just those in loftier circles? or is this criteria to be presented to all forum members as a 'goal' to obtain? (which is my way of thinking, encourages the forward momentum of the academic mentality of the site)or is the list only relevant to existing academically sighted members?.....

...if the 'list' is already drawn up, nothing to comment on then.....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 03-Apr-2007 at 15:32
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 16:35
No, I want everyone to have a say on the criteria. A person who want to apply for this title can do so, and people can nominate others if they wish to do so as well.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 17:11

No, I want everyone to have a say on the criteria. A person who want to apply for this title can do so, and people can nominate others if they wish to do so as well.

..thanks Hugoestr for replying to my enquiry...

..personally, i do see any problems with what you have outlined....the level seems about right, not too little that is does not encourage more productive activity, and not too much restriction that it discourages most members from attempting a claim to the new title....

..a step in the right direction i think...it will be interesting to see how well it is received......

....nominating other members is a good idea i think as modesty may prevent some from putting themselves forward when they deserve some form of forum recognition.......for now, and i know there are many others, but i would obviously point to Decebal, but i would also  suggest consideration for Zagros, Paul, Marhabbal(sp?),  and glce2003, who i feel regularly increases the academic bar throughout most the forums he posts in...not sure if the criteria fits though, perhaps someone else maybe better informed about this than me?.....

.good luck with this Hugoestr...you have my whole-hearted support

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 01:29
Looks good Hugoestr Smile I just thought I might drop a couple of nominations:

RIDER

** The applicant should not have had any formal warning or suspension for the prior three months - Not that I am aware of...

** The applicant should have over 100 posts - Check (2998)

** The applicant can write one article for the magazine meeting a criteria defined by our members - Check (many)
    *The topic must be about history - Check
    *It should have more than two sources - Check
    *Each post should be in the members' own words. - Check
    *The article should be greater than 350 words - Check
    *Quotations should be less than a third of the document. - Check
    (If one wish to quote longer passages, please add an appendix which will not count towards the total word count)

http://www.allempires.com/article/search.php?string=rider&search_author=1&Submit=Submit

** The applicant can submit 10 post/thread contributions that meets the post criteria - Check

*It should have sources - Check
    *The topic in the thread is discussed with throughly, with more than 350 words dedicated to historical discussion in the given thread by the author - Check
    *Quotations should be less than a third of the post to qualify for word count. - Check

EMPEROR BARBOROSSA

** The applicant should not have had any formal warning or suspension for the prior three months - Not that I am aware of...

** The applicant should have over 100 posts - Check (2795)

** The applicant can write one article for the magazine meeting a criteria defined by our members - Check (many)
    *It should have more than two sources - Check
    *The article should be greater than 350 words - Check
    *Quotations should be less than a third of the document. - Check

http://www.allempires.com/article/search.php?string=barb&search_author=1&Submit=Submit

** The applicant can submit 10 post/thread contributions that meets the post criteria - Check

*It should have sources - Check
    *The topic in the thread is discussed with throughly, with more than 350 words dedicated to historical discussion in the given thread by the author - Check
    *Quotations should be less than a third of the post to qualify for word count. - Check

I feel that these two have greatly contributed academically to All Empires, and have every right to this 'Academic Title".

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 04-Apr-2007 at 01:46
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 11:20
Sorry.. I already have an 'Editorial Title' which I value presently more than this Academic... But point taken. Thanks,

And you're wrong about my post count... lol

[on the search query] I think the link... gives a little too much insight. When a person wants to know anything, he or she can simply go over he query list of mine for example and see which of the articles isn't published by checking them... then he or she would get the future Magazine included thing and wouldn't be surprised.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 19:03
Sorry Rider, I was unsure where this "Academic Title" would be positioned, but it turned out it interferes with your "Editorial Title" - no problem.
I was right about your post count, at the time I posted Smile

I guess the same will apply for Emperor Barbarossa...Unhappy
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 02:59
I don't think it would be such a title as the Editorial. We haven't discussed it yet actually. But, it could most certainly be reflected in signatures. :D PErhaps a cool sig for it?? But under the name would be a good option too...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 14:16
Another bump. So we can say that we all approve the current draft?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 17:52

..So far, your suggestions have got my support Hugoestr, and it seems there is not much dissent, although i did initially think there would have been  more contributions from members regarding the ideas and proposals...does it need a bit more time for others to put their opinions forward?..what do you think Hugoestr?...

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 12-Apr-2007 at 17:53
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 15:40
The draft looks good to me. I think it will be interesting to see who applies and who is nominated by others.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:18
Well, it seems that we can go ahead and used these as rules, then :)
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:19
Sounds good Hugoestr, shall we nominate candidates now?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:26

..So far, your suggestions have got my support Hugoestr, and it seems there is not much dissent, although i did initially think there would have been more contributions from members regarding the ideas and proposals...does it need a bit more time for others to put their opinions forward?..what do you think Hugoestr?...

It is a dry topic ;)
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 22:46

I don't know if you're still asking for opinions, but I would say to implement it.  After all we'll gain valuable insights and information whether this works well or not.  Perhaps after a certain amount of time we could review how successfull this title has been and make adjustments if necessary.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 09:17
Um, it has already been implemented. It seems that it was one of those ideas that everyone thing is great, but no one want to actually participate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>