Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ankara restores Armenian church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ankara restores Armenian church
    Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:56
Originally posted by karajoz

we could use the money in better ways (no offense to armenian people) but, I would use the stones of the church as a wall between  turkey and armenia!

Akhtamar's cathedral wouldn't be sufficient for a wall. You would have to dismantle all the buildings in Turkey created by Armenians. The mosques, hospitals and factories, schools and churches, numerous palaces and royal residences, including the mausoleums of three sultans of the Ottoman Empire.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
karajoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote karajoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:55
every country has its religion.

new zealand is a christian country, i dont expect the government to build mosque here.

trkiye is a moslem country, why should we build a church?
we have tons of old mosques here, out of the ottoman empire, i think those ones should have priority.

I dont want to be rude, this is my opinion and I guess some people share my opinion,some dont.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 07:19

State have no religion,  people have.  A church is not less important than a mosque.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 10:00
How sad a feel good story can be picked a part so quickly. From restoring a stunning historic church, to building walls between countries.

now i just hidden some posts to protect the thread including one with a contentious flame baiting link that had nothing to do with the topic. From here on I'll assume we can keep this civil and within topic.

Either way I'll be watching

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 10:19
Originally posted by traveler

In Turkey for more than 1000 years, people of different ethnic origins, different religious beliefs have lived together in peace.Please go and see really how people live in the cities where muslims,christians and jews live together.Churches,mosques and synagogues close to each other. And people do not have any anmosity...
But unfortunately some a very few pawns remind me the famous saying that goes as
            BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS...

Sure, sure, the Ottoman Empire was a hodge-podge of tolerance and brotherly love peacefully acquired from its prior inhabitants. And, for the record, my European ancestors hugged their way across North America. LOL

People of Anatolia have never persecuted any minority.Those who refrain from studying the archives together should be ashamed. :)))

Apparently you would do well to study the forum archives. Among others, you might look at the thread dealing with the Patriarchate.

That nonsense dealt with, I think it is wonderful that the Turkish government has reached out and restored the church. While I think it would be more wonderful still if they allowed the Armenian Patriarch to worship there once a year, they are certainly under no obligation to do so. May this be a new-beginning for the two states desperately need one.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 09-Apr-2007 at 10:20
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 16:51

every country has its religion.

new zealand is a christian country, i dont expect the government to build mosque here.

trkiye is a moslem country, why should we build a church?
we have tons of old mosques here, out of the ottoman empire, i think those ones should have priority.

I dont want to be rude, this is my opinion and I guess some people share my opinion,some dont.

Yes, but if no one is allowed to pray in the church, it has nothing to do with religion. Only tourism profit.

Plus, would you think a country is friendly if they dismantled all their mosques simply because they are not "priority"? Whats next, we should get rid of all Christians because they are not "priority"? Do you see how oppression begins?

Originally posted by Akolouthos

That nonsense dealt with, I think it is wonderful that the Turkish government has reached out and restored the church. While I think it would be more wonderful still if they allowed the Armenian Patriarch to worship there once a year, they are certainly under no obligation to do so. May this be a new-beginning for the two states desperately need one.

Ya hopefully it leads to some kind of informal reciprocity (restoring each others' monuments and whatnot), which can potentially lead to formal relations.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 09-Apr-2007 at 16:55

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

we could use the money in better ways (no offense to armenian people) but, I would use the stones of the church as a wall between  turkey and armenia!

Akhtamar's cathedral wouldn't be sufficient for a wall. You would have to dismantle all the buildings in Turkey created by Armenians. The mosques, hospitals and factories, schools and churches, numerous palaces and royal residences, including the mausoleums of three sultans of the Ottoman Empire.

I gotta say I love that response Armen! Big%20smile

As for the Holy Cross, its beautiful. Its a type of latter Byzantine architecture. Notice the dome which seems to be... wait its a spireConfusedLOL
What is it!LOL
awesome structure!

Before constructing a building, one aspect the architect has to look at is how the people using the building will feel. What "mood" does the structure give off. When I like at this Church I automatically think happy, or rather a "warm" sense. The exterior facade does a lot to generate that

Edited by arch.buff - 12-Apr-2007 at 22:08
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 00:49
Originally posted by arch.buff

As for the Holy Cross, its beautiful. Its a type of latter Byzantine architecture.

I've always wondered why people describe Armenian churches as being influenced by Byzantine architecture. I see similarities between them, but the Armenians were building their churches in this style well before Rome split (the church of Etchmiadzin completed in 303 is a good example of this, and it was completed before Rome even accepted Christianity). I would like to hear your opinion on that.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by arch.buff

As for the Holy Cross, its beautiful. Its a type of latter Byzantine architecture.

I've always wondered why people describe Armenian churches as being influenced by Byzantine architecture. I see similarities between them, but the Armenians were building their churches in this style well before Rome split (the church of Etchmiadzin completed in 303 is a good example of this, and it was completed before Rome even accepted Christianity). I would like to hear your opinion on that.

The current Etchmiadzin cathedral was constructed in the 1600's, if I am not mistaken. Although there are remnants of the 4th century altar underneath the present church. But you would infact be correct about Armenia becoming Christian before rome itself.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 22:32
     I think the only parts of it built after 303 was the tower at the entrance, built in the 1600's as you said, and a rebuilding of the dome. The interior decorations are modern, but the main building was completed in 303.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 23:08
"Although the church as undergone numerous transformations it still retains the form of the 5th century structure. It has a cruciform plan with a central cupola, four free-standing piers, and four projecting apses which are semicircular on the interior and polygonal on the exterior. The central piers, cruciform in section, divide the interior space into nine equal square compartments. The plan, except for the cupola, dates to the construction under taken by Vahan Mamikonean in the 480's. A similar plan can be found at the 7th century church at Bagaran (A-2177)."

Not from the 4th century but from the 5th century. This is a great site with a lot of info of the church. But yes you are correct there was archeological evidence of a 4th century church, just not the same plan and not the same structure. There was very extensive renovating done in the 17th century

Edited by arch.buff - 17-Apr-2007 at 23:09
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:21
     Well, you're right, its essentially from the 5th century. Thanks for that.

So it was influenced by Byzantine architecture? Did the Byzantines borrow any Armenian architectural styles at all?

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12