Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bring the Brits Back Home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bring the Brits Back Home
    Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:47
A bit of a chauvinist then are we Brian?  Sunni Pan-Arabists would, however, tend to disagree with you though.

Following: This chap was sacked as British ambassador to Uzbekistan after whistle blowing of the UK/Us's use of that country as a 3rd party torture service.

Iran arrest of sailors legitimate:Former UK envoy

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - ?2005 IranMania.com

LONDON, March 27 (IranMania) - Former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan, Craig Murray supported Iran's decision to arrest 15 UK marines in the Persian Gulf last week, IRNA reported.

"In international law the Iranian government were not out of order in detaining foreign military personnel in waters to which they have a legitimate claim," Murray said, who was also a previous head of Foreign Office's maritime section, carrying out negotiations on the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

"For the Royal Navy, to be interdicting shipping within the twelve mile limit of territorial seas in a region they know full well is subject to maritime boundary dispute, is unnecessarily provocative," he said.

The former envoy said that this was "especially true as apparently they were not looking for weapons but for smuggled vehicles attempting to evade car duty."

"What has the evasion of Iranian or Iraqi taxes go to do with the Royal Navy?" he questioned in comments on his webpage, set up after he was sacked from his post in 2004 after criticizing British foreign policy.

While working for the Foreign Office, Murray was also head of the UK's Embargo Surveillance Centre, analyzing Iraqi attempts to evade sanctions and providing information to UK military forces and to other governments to effect physical enforcement of the embargo.

He said that under international law, Britain would have been allowed to enter Iranian territorial waters if in "hot pursuit" of terrorists, slavers or pirates. But added "they weren't doing any of those things."

"Plainly, they were not engaged in piracy or in hostilities against Iran. The Iranians can feel content that they have demonstrated the ability to exercise effective sovereignty over the waters they claim," the former envoy said.

He criticized the "ridiculous logic" of Prime Minister Tony Blair, saying he was creating a mess that "gets us further into trouble." The Daily Mirror, which has been an outspoken opponent of the Iraq war, reminded its readers Monday that "if the UK had never joined the disastrous invasion of Iraq, the 15 would not have been put in a position where they could be seized."

In its editorial on the incident, it also said that "US threats in the recent past to launch military strikes on Iran have inflamed tensions."

Edited by Zagros - 28-Mar-2007 at 11:48
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:54
They are agents of the UK governemnt, they are armed and they aggressively stop and search vessels around and inside Iranian waters, according to the Iranian authorities
How come everything the West says is twisted and information is changed, but everything the Iranian Government is to be believed when it's known that they aren't exactly the most freedom loving Government. I mean, I believe you said it too in the past that you'd like to see the current Iranian government gone, if I remember correctly.

I think Iran has been looking for a opportunity to capture Western soldiers. They threatened to do it a couple weeks ago since they believe we took one of their top Generals. I mean, this wasn't even the Normal Iranian Navy that went out, it was their Guard that went out and captured them. The Guard is chosenby those they deem very loyal; and they are given the best equipment and are very well paid to keep them loyal. To send these guys out to me means that they were up to something. Their Navy could have just went over and warned them to get out of their waters, but this was a elite force with intentions to take captives.

With that said, I believ no harm will be done to the British soldiers. The Iranians are using this for political leverage. It's been shown that they get support when they stand up to the "Imperial West", and this is the strongest way of doing it. They may also use them as bargaining chips, if they get what they want, then the soldiers were returned. If the West goes back on ther word after getting the soldiers back, that'll just give the Iranian government more leverage, so it can be a win-win situation for them.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:56
Yes, Craig Murray. You Bring up all these people that really have no credibility
what so ever.

He was not sacked. He was removed from his post because he broke the rules within the Foreign office. Charges were made against him, many of which were dropped - for insuffecient evidence. He wasn't been particularly Diplomatic either, Karimov was supported under British Policy. It is NOT his job to attack Governments in other nations. If he had wanted to do that, he should LEAVE a government job.

He has never provided evidence of Britains involvement in such crimes either, nor has anyne really. It is the US and the CIA that are engaged in such crimes, although there has been evidence of MI6 being involved. (oh and it was reported by the nasty, state controlled BBC that did an expose on rendition)

You trust the word of a man thats angry against the British Government and would do anything to denigrate its name. I mean you might as well interview Napoleon on the Matter.

Edited by Ovidius - 28-Mar-2007 at 11:58
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 12:07
Chauvinist? No. Prgamatist? Yes.

I agree that if the British agents were in Iranian waters, it would be a breach of international law, and they could be legally held (much the same as the way the US is holding those "armed foreign agents" they apprehended in Iraq), but from the evidence I've been able to gather, it seems that they weren't in Iranian waters. Ergo, I believe their seizure and detention to be illegal.

I disagree with the former foreign minister to Uzbekistan. For oen thing, it's a bit unpatriotic to support the seizure and detention of one's own countrymen, but that's not the real issue. British and American naval forces have good reason to be checking maritime shipping on it's way to Iraq. The insurgents and al-Qaeda have to be receiving their weapons and materiel from somewhere, afterall. They should police the shipping just as they should police the borders and underground smuggling channels. It's a matter of national security not only for European nations, but for the national security of Iraq as well. Since Iraq's navy isn't up to the mission yet, it's only natural that Britain and the US should help them to acheive the goal of restricting unauthorized weapons shipments into the country. Your Foreign Minister friend seems to forget that fact, it seems.

"In its editorial on the incident, it also said that 'US threats in the recent past to launch military strikes on Iran have inflamed tensions.'"

Iran calling America the 'Great Satan' are equally inflammatory. Their stated intention to aquire nuclear-capabilities are in direct opposition of not only the US foreign policy, but the policies of every anti-Nuclear-proliferation organization worldwide as well. Their seizure of British sailors is inflammatory. Ahmadinejad's denial of the holocaust is inflammatory. The two sides have conflicting interests, I agree. Both are equally inflammatory to one another. But the first act of Ayatollah Khameini's Revolution was to abduct American diplomats and civilians in 1979, and to hold them for 444 days. So I guess you could say, the modern Iranian government started it?

Look, two different sides, two different views. I support my tribe. You support yours. But since we all know the power of the American and British militaries, it seems rather stupid of the Iranian government to try to provoke them into what could result as an armed conflict. If Tehran wants world-wide legitimacy, they ought to learn how to pick their battles. As it is, they're alienating sympathy from just about everyone in the western world. Like I said, it's an immature foreign policy from an insignificant nation that is afraid the world will forget them if they don't initiate a new diplomatic crisis every few months.

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 12:08
Chauvinist? No. Prgamatist? Yes.

I agree that if the British agents were in Iranian waters, it would be a breach of international law, and they could be legally held (much the same as the way the US is holding those "armed foreign agents" they apprehended in Iraq), but from the evidence I've been able to gather, it seems that they weren't in Iranian waters. Ergo, I believe their seizure and detention to be illegal.

I disagree with the former foreign minister to Uzbekistan. For oen thing, it's a bit unpatriotic to support the seizure and detention of one's own countrymen, but that's not the real issue. British and American naval forces have good reason to be checking maritime shipping on it's way to Iraq. The insurgents and al-Qaeda have to be receiving their weapons and materiel from somewhere, afterall. They should police the shipping just as they should police the borders and underground smuggling channels. It's a matter of national security not only for European nations, but for the national security of Iraq as well. Since Iraq's navy isn't up to the mission yet, it's only natural that Britain and the US should help them to acheive the goal of restricting unauthorized weapons shipments into the country. Your Foreign Minister friend seems to forget that fact, it seems.

"In its editorial on the incident, it also said that 'US threats in the recent past to launch military strikes on Iran have inflamed tensions.'"

Iran calling America the 'Great Satan' are equally inflammatory. Their stated intention to aquire nuclear-capabilities are in direct opposition of not only the US foreign policy, but the policies of every anti-Nuclear-proliferation organization worldwide as well. Their seizure of British sailors is inflammatory. Ahmadinejad's denial of the holocaust is inflammatory. The two sides have conflicting interests, I agree. Both are equally inflammatory to one another. But the first act of Ayatollah Khameini's Revolution was to abduct American diplomats and civilians in 1979, and to hold them for 444 days. So I guess you could say, the modern Iranian government started it?

Look, two different sides, two different views. I support my tribe. You support yours. But since we all know the power of the American and British militaries, it seems rather stupid of the Iranian government to try to provoke them into what could result as an armed conflict. If Tehran wants world-wide legitimacy, they ought to learn how to pick their battles. As it is, they're alienating sympathy from just about everyone in the western world. Like I said, it's an immature foreign policy from an insignificant nation that is afraid the world will forget them if they don't initiate a new diplomatic crisis every few months.

Cheers.

I'd love to continue this debate, but I have to go to class. I'll be more than happy to jump back into it in a few hours. Ah, the rigors of University life...

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 12:57
they have just as much credibility as the UK government (which isn't all that much). 

haha. Well said. after all which goverment have credibility.
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 13:00

This: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1602389,00.html  was an interesting article on the subject.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 13:46
Originally posted by Zagros

Following: This chap was sacked as British ambassador to Uzbekistan after whistle blowing of the UK/Us's use of that country as a 3rd party torture service.

Actually it was more because of the whistle blowing of the regime the US/UK supported under Islam Karimov who abused overall human rights not just a torture service. I doubt you'll ever read anything positive about the US/UK government from him. Visit his website I'm sure you can get some more goodies to post here. http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/

This is just muscle flexing by Iran. They picked an area that has no real stated boundaries and exploited it. The British are handcuffed as there can be no military action so they really can only complain. Iran will release the marines over time after they humiliate the British government a bit more. I'm sure they're hoping the U.S. steps in as that would be in their favor as well.

Edited by Gundamor - 28-Mar-2007 at 13:48
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 13:53
they had to be in iranian territorial waters...it's expected of British imbeciles who don't even know the proper term of the Persian Gulf.

they can not continue to breach Iran's territorial integrity. They have come into our waters on numerous occasions and not followed our warnings and this is what happens. We were lenient before but they went too far and are in our custody. Good news.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 13:58
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

That may be true, but many former British colonies such as, oh, I don't know, America, Australia, and Canada, occupy two whole continents and dictate world events, much in accordance with the desires of Britain, and for the mutual gain of all named parties. The British Empire may no longer exist in name, but trust me, the "Anglo Empire" still very much rules the world. Not quite the same can be said for the former Persian empire, now can it?

That is chauvinism - and besides, I don't approve of imperialism, be it "Anglo", "Persian", Islamic or anything else so what do I care?  Blow your Anglo trumpet.  Is Checco your real name?  Not very Anglo.

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

They are agents of the UK governemnt, they are armed and they aggressively stop and search vessels around and inside Iranian waters, according to the Iranian authorities
How come everything the West says is twisted and information is changed, but everything the Iranian Government is to be believed when it's known that they aren't exactly the most freedom loving Government. I mean, I believe you said it too in the past that you'd like to see the current Iranian government gone, if I remember correctly.

No, not everything the West says is twisted, just everything the foreign office of the United Kingdom and Downing Street say are twisted. And hey, I have just as much doubt as anyone about what the Iranian government says, as I have already expressed in this thread.  What got me going was the bellicose rantings of Ovidius, who, because of his hurt pride at the UKs standing as a 2nd/3rd rate power advocates airstrikes before anything has even been confirmed on the matter.

I think Iran has been looking for a opportunity to capture Western soldiers. They threatened to do it a couple weeks ago since they believe we took one of their top Generals.

Iran doesn't need to wait for them to come over the border to capture them, it's easy enough in Iraq.  I have seen plenty of tape from both sides at border encounters which ended peacefully enough.  I personally don't think Iran would act unless it knew or thought that foreign forces were in its territory.

I mean, this wasn't even the Normal Iranian Navy that went out, it was their Guard that went out and captured them. The Guard is chosenby those they deem very loyal; and they are given the best equipment and are very well paid to keep them loyal. To send these guys out to me means that they were up to something. Their Navy could have just went over and warned them to get out of their waters, but this was a elite force with intentions to take captives.

The IRGC have naval, air, land and special forces and are responsible for security in different, more sensitive, areas from the regular navy. They share the same role as the regular army but with a different command.

---

That aside, the British and this specific part of Iran and Iraq have a nutorious history.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:06
The British officers in command should be shot. ANd the sailors should be court martialed upon return to acertain the truth. Lets see a sensitive border, which is disputed and you are patrolling it unarmed! For Gods sake, the Iranians are much more likely to shoot than make a request for arbritation. Checco's Anglo empire is not only imperialistic, it is inane.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:08

Besides, I wonder, Ovidius, if you appreciate the ramifications of British airstrikes on Iran.

What Blair meant when he said he would take things to a different level has been seen today - apparently Britain has frozen all trade with Iran.  Well, a barrel of oil is now trading at almost $70 a barrel I guess that loss has been immeasurably off-set. 

T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:21

Hear, Hear!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:30

The service people have admitted they were in Iranian waters and have apologised for their mistake.  I think if they were adamant they were in iraqi waters they would have refused to admit to a lie like the brave American pilot captured in Somalia who faced a much grimmer fate at the time than any of these people ever have.

This is indeed good news because it was broadcast on the Arabic language channel. To be cynical, the Mullahs have impressed the Arab masses with this, so the service people's release will be imminent.   There is precedent after all.

Edited by Zagros - 28-Mar-2007 at 14:43
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:55
No, not everything the West says is twisted, just everything the foreign office of the United Kingdom and Downing Street say are twisted. And hey, I have just as much doubt as anyone about what the Iranian government says, as I have already expressed in this thread.  What got me going was the bellicose rantings of Ovidius, who, because of his hurt pride at the UKs standing as a 2nd/3rd rate power advocates airstrikes before anything has even been confirmed on the matter.
I guess I could see where your coming from.
Iran doesn't need to wait for them to come over the border to capture them, it's easy enough in Iraq.
I think it's easier to have the enemy come to you. Not only that, but politically it makes you look like you were the victim in that the enemy went into your boundries.
By saying they went into Iran's waters, then it makes the case legitimate for them.
The IRGC have naval, air, land and special forces and are responsible for security in different, more sensitive, areas from the regular navy. They share the same role as the regular army but with a different command.
But wouldn't that be like the US sending out the marines to take care of a job that the Coast Guard does? The Navy should have been able to take care of 15 soldiers on a foreign ship, no? I'm just curious about this because to me it's like sending out the special forces, these are the most loyal and the best equiped of all the Iranian forces supposedly.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:06

Well it depends where the marines are deployed, if they encounter foreign forces and if it is their duty to intercept.  In this case all three are true of the IRGC whose duties extend to more sensitive areas.

And btw they are not equivalent to the Marines in any way.  They are the Guards of the Islamic Revolution and more closely resemble the Praetorian guard than anything else - but with a much wider scope.  I don't think they are necessarily better paid than regulars but they are religious zealots and have a die before surrender mentality.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:16
I chose the Marines because they are supposed to be alittle better then the army, in some regards, and ofcourse different then the coast guard who play two very different roles. I couldn't think of another equivalent in the US Military because I don't think they quite fit in with our Special Forces. Maybe the Rangers? I don't know.
I didn't know they were religious zeolots though. They were the ones that did the wave attacks though in the Iran-Iraq war right? Now a days I'd see new recruits joining to get themselves better off in life, though I could be wrong. But being on the good side of the government, being equiped well, and paid pretty decently sounds like a good career choice if your going for the military career.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:21
No, they didn't do the wave assaults, those were Basij volunteers, no better than a lightly armed militia.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:27
Originally posted by Sparten

The British officers in command should be shot. ANd the sailors should be court martialed upon return to acertain the truth. Lets see a sensitive border, which is disputed and you are patrolling it unarmed! For Gods sake, the Iranians are much more likely to shoot than make a request for arbritation. Checco's Anglo empire is not only imperialistic, it is inane.

They weren't unarmed??

The service people have admitted they were in Iranian waters and have apologised for their mistake.  I think if they were adamant they were in iraqi waters they would have refused to admit to a lie like the brave American pilot captured in Somalia who faced a much grimmer fate at the time than any of these people ever have.

This is indeed good news because it was broadcast on the Arabic language channel. To be cynical, the Mullahs have impressed the Arab masses with this, so the service people's release will be imminent.   There is precedent after all.

Yes, Iranian TV news vs BBC news. Please.

said: Obviously we trespassed in the waters.

How is that an admission of Guilt. She says its obvious based ont he fact they were picked up by two torpedo boats full of IRanian Guardsmen. If i was on some land and a farmer walked up with his sheepdog and shotgun, I'd probably believe that I 'might' have trespassed. Based on the reaction, not on evidence.

What got me going was the bellicose rantings of Ovidius, who, because of his hurt pride at the UKs standing as a 2nd/3rd rate power advocates airstrikes before anything has even been confirmed on the matter.

I did not advocate this action. What I advocate is ACTION in general. My point is that there is very little else we can do. Those are the options - attack by Special Forces or Airstrikes. I didn't say I was supportive, but if the diplomacy fails, this is what the British government will have to do.

these were my EXACT WORDS

I hate to see such matters esculate, but there is no option but a show of force against Iran, which means airstrikes or some other form of action.

Somehow believing that the British government would come out and lie about where the British servicement were is really a silly statement. I don't understand your position. The British government is possibly the most regulated and checked government in the World. Our media is extremely thirsty for such stories. If those servicemen were not where the Foreign Office say they were then it will be found out and Margaret Beckett WILL lose her job.

And none of this has anything to do with Pride or a loss of face of our nation. Its to do with British people getting taken frequently from different areas of the World. The British Government should take a stand of some sort, especially if the release of our troops isn't immediate.
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:48

I think it will be in Britain's best interest to set up a policy for such circumstances. A document that says, "If a British citizen, be they civilian or military, is abducted in any territory, we shall execute action [insert choice procedure here] without further negotiation.

That way, we would not have problems like this coming up. Any group that attempts such abductions will think twice because they never will have a chance of negotiating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>