Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Latin America Western?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Poll Question: Is Latin America Western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [50.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [28.07%]
6 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Latin America Western?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 01:22

What's special about Argentina? It is not as rich or as white like it pretends.

Besides, the U.S. gave the back to Argentina when that country mostly needed.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 01:34
Pinguin, have you noticed the poll in the thread? At this juncture in the thread, i think you are continuing too beat on a dead horse, not for the sake of a debate, but purely for the enjoyment of it! I'm regretfully starting to wonder now if you do indeed have an inferiority complex?

goldenstar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 02:00
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, as far as the pictures of Maghrebians I have seen, and Algerians in particular, no one will notice they are foreigners in Chile. You guys look very similar physically to us LOL. My neighbour won't complain Big smile

People in Nordic Europe and the British isles always thought I was Argentinian or Southern European.

But in France people clearly know how a North African looks like, because they're used to those populations.

By the way, there is half a million Palestineans and other Arabs in Chile, and they feel here at home. Curiosly enough, most of them are Christians. They assimilated without problems at all.

Most Lebanese immigrants are Christian too, my Arabic teacher at high school was a Christian Palestinian woman from Jordan.

Edited by goldenstar - 25-Mar-2009 at 02:03
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 02:05
Originally posted by Panther

I'm regretfully starting to wonder now if you do indeed have an inferiority complex?

I think he just wants people to respect his identity, he seems proud of South America.

Edited by goldenstar - 25-Mar-2009 at 02:13
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 02:20

What's special about Argentina ? It is not as rich or as White like it pretends.

Not that I ever fancy Argentina,because I don't.To me,S Americans are just Latin people of southern European ancestry with admixture of Amerindian.As I've repeatedly wrote,the division between N America & S America is northern versus southern.The world is Anglo-dominated in the present time.Yes,it's Anglos dictate the way things are whether we agree or disagree.

Well,the ones objected to Latin America being label " Western " on the premise of less pure European bloodline among the populations.Argentina seemingly doesn't fits this exclusion according to some demographic statistics,so why do they ever exempt that country from the region ( S America & Argentina ) like they play favor to Japan in the Far East not lump Japanese with the rest of non-industrialized Asian nations.

All my Asians believe you guys are being snubbed ( look down upon ) because S America is mostly poor and under-developed,no other reasons.I am the only one thinks little deeper,there are other factors like " subtle " ethnic prejudice stems from" northies VS southies " etc.

Anyway,just my opinions LOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 02:25
Of course, Pebbles. That's exactly the reason. And that's something Latinos have very clear. It is not an inferiority complex as some may argue, but only the fact Northerners look us as an inferior society.

Edited by pinguin - 25-Mar-2009 at 02:26
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 02:53

That's exactly the reason. And that's something Latinos have very clear,only the fact Northerners look us as an inferior society.

There are some ( am not pointing fingers at anyone participated in this thread ) denied own subconscious bigotry by using naive excuses like ... less pure European bloodline ( hey,White-Americans are " Heinz 57 "  LOL  and more racially mixed nowadays.Japanese have zero European bloodline of their origins ) ... less economically developed ( Australia & New Zealand weren't either pre-1980's but never excluded from the Western World ... why ?  ... I bet you $100 pesos that US would name these 2 countries as third-world without hesitation if not for the Anglo colonists populated there ).

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 03:17
Originally posted by pebbles

That's exactly the reason. And that's something Latinos have very clear,only the fact Northerners look us as an inferior society.

There are some ( am not pointing fingers at anyone participated in this thread ) denied own subconscious bigotry by using naive excuses like ... less pure European bloodline ( hey,White-Americans are " Heinz 57 "  LOL  and more racially mixed nowadays.Japanese have zero European bloodline of their origins ) ... less economically developed ( Australia & New Zealand weren't either pre-1980's but never excluded from the Western World ... why ?  ... I bet you $100 pesos that US would name these 2 countries as third-world without hesitation if not for the Anglo colonists populated there ).

Australia is not economically developed? Australia and New Zealand (Australia especially) have some of the highest standards of living on the planet, with a modern economy. Australia consistently scores within the top 5 nations in the United Nations Human Development Index. The political and legal institutions of the country are firmly based on British models, and these two countries enjoy a degree of social and political stability which even most 'Western' countries find too challenging to match. Australia and NZ's similarities with the rest of the Western world, and the Anglosphere in particular, are based on more than common ethnic bloodlines.
Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 03:22
I voted no because there were more "NOs" to choose from.
The fire that never dies burns in our hearts.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 03:24
I'm not sure why this thread has started to devolve into a discussion about racial mixes, especially since "western" is very much a cultural state rather than a race.

In addition, I have to say I'm impressed by the level of irritation at the US here. All I can say is: I don't make vast generalizations about the attitude of people in Latin America or Africa--please don't pretend you know exactly what the "prevailing opinion" is in the US.

If you think we mostly imagine Latin America as an un-western, "third-world," place, come up for a visit to Washington. Us prejudiced Americans can be pretty good at surprising people.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 07:02

Originally posted by Majkes

Than what is is? and You still didn't explain why Eastern Europe is not part of Western civilisation but Latin America is. I must say it is quite strange view.
If we understand Wetern Civilisation as countries sharing so called European values or heritage than Latin America is part of it but if You mean most influential and most advanced techologically and economically countries than Latin America is not part of this world.

Very simple. The Western Civilization is the civilization build on the heritage of the Roman Empire. The Western Civilization is Greek-Roman in its social structure and mechanics, and it is also Jewish-Christian in its religion.

All the countries and regions that have a Roman heritage are, of course, part of the Western Civilization.

Than Russia would also fit to this description.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 12:05
Originally posted by Majkes

Than Russia would also fit to this description.

Of course. Russia and all the "orthodox" East is a very important branch of the Western Civilization. I don't deny that there are subgroups inside this civilization, and that the "Protestant" North, the "Catholic" South, The Germanic-Scandinavian society, the "Anglosphere" are all valid and very real communities. But also Iberoamerica is for real, and to understand it one must realize one foot of it is in Iberia and the other in the Americas.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 12:14

When I say "The West" I am talking about the Western Civilization, and Iberoamerica is part of it, whether Northern Europeans and North Americans agree or not.

Northern Europeans or North Americans don't give a damn - you are the one who's upset. I'm not saying that Latin America is not a part of the West, but you are making it seem like Anglo people actively  trying to exclude Latin America from it. I don't get two things: 1) why you are so obsessed with what they think and 2) why you are imagining that the Anglos/Northern Europeans think these things in the first place (they don't). This goes for not only this question, but for many others raised in other threads.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 25-Mar-2009 at 12:39
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 12:48
I may have commented in this thread before but I can't be bothered to check nine pages of posts.

The way I see it you either have to group Latin American as Western or treat it as a unique entity, there isn't anywhere else it fits in. In my estimation LA is neither historically, ideologically, economically, politically nor culturally different enough from the US or Europe to be treated as a unique entity, hence I would consider it Western. Ethnically it has a somewhat different composition if we consider the continent as a whole, but even if we set European ancestry as a precondition for being Western it wouldn't be fair to exclude LA as countries like Chile, Argentina and Uruguay have predominantly European populations, and in Brazil (and probably other LA countries) the European population is the dominant and defining one.

If all these things considered LA can't be considered Western then I'd be confused as to what being Western means. Limiting it to the Anglosphere or Germanic-speaking countries certainly doesn't make sense, as no one would exclude France, Spain or Italy.

I wouldn't hesitate to include Russia either, for centuries they have been a country very much in the Western tradition, unless Western means you have to be protestant and capitalist - which wouldn't make sense considering Marx was German.

The countries that are the most separate from the West are found in Africa and Asia, but even here Westernization is ongoing. As I have stated before Western civilization has emerged as the only viable model of civilization, and combined with increasing globalization this will to a varying extent impact everyone on the planet.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 13:27
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

When I say "The West" I am talking about the Western Civilization, and Iberoamerica is part of it, whether Northern Europeans and North Americans agree or not.

Northern Europeans or North Americans don't give a damn -  but you are making it seem like Anglo people actively trying to exclude Latin America from it.

It's true that average ordinary N American Whites don't spare a minute to such thought at all.

US is Anglo-centric because British ( English Scots Welsh Irish ) still have strong grips on the country politically and culturally.Recent drastic demographic change is a challenge remains to be seen.

As I've repeatedly wrote,America's handling of S America is " counter influence " due to Spanish colonial past in the Americas.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 13:33
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Northern Europeans or North Americans don't give a damn - you are the one who's upset. I'm not saying that Latin America is not a part of the West, but you are making it seem like Anglo people actively  trying to exclude Latin America from it. I don't get two things: 1) why you are so obsessed with what they think and 2) why you are imagining that the Anglos/Northern Europeans think these things in the first place (they don't). This goes for not only this question, but for many others raised in other threads.

Perhaps in Sweden, they seem special, but in France for instance people are sometimes racist against people from Southern Europe and even worse for Latin America, and deny them a Western or White identity, seeig themselves as superior. Even those who are not racist, still see Southerners such as Italians as different and not fully European, and make a lot of stereotypes (lazy, incompetent, corrupt, dirty, hairy, trouble makers, etc). The French medias even say Italian people feel Europe despises them, which I don't know whether it is true or not.

But such a discrimination exists anyway, even if people do not permanently think or debate about it.

Scandinavia doesn't necessarilly reflect the rest of European societies.

Edited by goldenstar - 25-Mar-2009 at 14:27
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by Reginmund

As I have stated before Western civilization has emerged as the only viable model of civilization, and combined with increasing globalization this will to a varying extent impact everyone on the planet.

It is a bit exaggerated to say it is the only viable model of civilisation, not a long time ago it was the civilisation that put the whole world 2 times in chaos and caused tens of millions of deaths because at this time the West was dominated by totalitarian regimes and brutal colonial powers self-proclaiming themselves democracies, in the sense of letting men (and not women) choose their politicians, even if they practised racist apartheids and conquered the world not differently from the Hitlerian or Stalinian governments they accused to be evil. Today everything quickly changed in Europe and the U.S.A, so other countries can change as well, and evolve positively following their own civilisation.

As someone said earlier, there is a strange policy of thinking Western standards are the best and the whole world should just adopt them, having been raised in the West I can see how most people here are arrogant as they are totally convinced they're the best society and other cultures are culturally "inferior". The medias are the main reason for this way of thought because they focus on the problems of the Third world and do not tell its qualities, while they only focus on the good sides of Western nations, not talking about the problems of Europe and Eastern Europe in particular.

People in the world are aware Western methods in economy, government, administration, education, are a good model, and the world is always influenced by the prominent civilisation, which is now the Western World, just like Europe was heavily influenced by the dominating Middle-Eastern/North African civilisation in the past centuries when it used to shape the world (in ancient times and during the medieval Islamic period).

But Western is not only a way to govern, it is especially an identity and a culture, rooted in European populations and their descendents in the New World, and I don't think the world is going to become Western in this sense as whole nations used to Romanise or Hellenise themselves.

Edited by goldenstar - 25-Mar-2009 at 14:03
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 14:02
Originally posted by goldenstar

People in the world are aware Western methods in economy, government, administration, education, are a good model, and the world is always influenced by the prominent civilisation

I think this model gradually evolved to a " modern concept " as more and more non-Europe nations localized these elements to fit their national character.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 14:03
Pinguin
The anglo club is not a synonim of Western Civilization.

The thing is, in todays world it is, The Anglo club + EU = the West.

Pinguin
Our ancestors were Europeans. We never stopped to be so. Our people is condemned because it mixed, and only because that.

"Your" ancestors might have been European and many white Chileans could say the same, as well as the majority of Argentina, however, the majority of countries like Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala and parts of Ecuador, Mexico etc have little if not any European ancestory.

Pinguin
And that's something Latinos have very clear. It is not an inferiority complex as some may argue, but only the fact Northerners look us as an inferior society.

Most people in Northern Europe are indifferent to Latin America, its seen as an exotic, foreign place, there is no hatred. The only places you'll find some biggotry against Latin America is in Spain or Portugal in Europe.
The problem is, you think Latin American not being "Western" is an Insult.

I said countless times that I have much respect and admiration for the region and think Latin America is unique to herself, its Latin America, not the West, the East or anywere else.

Edited by Bulldog - 25-Mar-2009 at 14:10
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 14:12
Originally posted by pebbles

I think this model gradually evolved to a " modern concept " as more and more non-Europe nations localized these elements to fit their national character.

True. It is like cultivating crops, writing, settling in a place we call a city, learning sciences, and even having a state with international boundaries and a government to rule, having laws to organise a society, banking, etc. Such concepts are omnipresent in the West but originated from the Middle-East and spread into the World from there (besides in Americas where they evolved independently, excepted for the wheel etc), it doesn't mean Europe is Middle-Easternised in this sense or in the sense of following a Semitic religion deeply shaped by ancient Middle-Eastern cultural standards, because Europeans kept their own cultures.

Today, everyone on earth wears blue jeans and other clothes that were created in the West, it became standard and noone thinks that wearing them is a way to Westernise yourself.

Edited by goldenstar - 25-Mar-2009 at 14:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>