Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Latin America Western?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Poll Question: Is Latin America Western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [50.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [28.07%]
6 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Latin America Western?
    Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 20:28

Indeed. Germanics started as bandits and pirats, praying on the Western World, and ended up fixing the norms.

Whatever. Latin America is Iberian. That is something that nobody denies. And that's what matters to us.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 20:44
Culturally we can say that Latin America is very closely related to the West World ( if it means countries that shre European heritage ). Considering economy I don't see how Bolivia or Colombia or other Latin American countries can be called part of Western World. But Chile or Argentina are close to West World. There has to be distinction because countries of Latin America differ one to another.
If You Pinguin know "so well" diffrencies between European countries You should realize such exist in Latin America.

It's funny putting all Latin America to the Western World as it just far from the truth. I wouldn't call Peru or Bolivia or Ecuador part of West for sure.

Second if You don't consider countries of Eastern Europe like Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary or Slovenia ( richer, more developed than any country in Latin America being since Xth century or earlier important part of Europe ) part of the Western World than I have no bloody idea how You can consider latin America WestConfused.

For me at the moment the West World are EU countries, North America, Australia, Japan, NZ. Besides term West is evolving all the time. Part of West is now Spain while at the beginning of XXth century nobody would claim Spain to be part of West World.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:21
Originally posted by pinguin

The most pathetic thing is that Germanics are newcommers to Western Civilization. And now they dictate the rules about who is and who is not. Pathetic.

The only thing that's pathetic is that you care what "the West" is - nobody here does. It's just a bloody word; whether or not Latin America is a part of it, one can always invent a word that excludes it. I can't fathom why you have such a need for attention or being a part of the Anglo club.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:32
The anglo club is not a synonim of Western Civilization.

It is amazing that the lack of culture of the U.S. people has made the whole world call Americans only to them (forgetting all the people of the Western Hemisphere are Americans). And also the same ignorance added to military power, has made the whole world to call "The West" only to the U.S. and its buddies.

When I say "The West" I am talking about the Western Civilization, and Iberoamerica is part of it, whether Northern Europeans and North Americans agree or not.
goldenstar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by Majkes

Besides term West is evolving all the time. Part of West is now Spain while at the beginning of XXth century nobody would claim Spain to be part of West World.

Poland was not traditionally seen as a part of the West , it was the same as Russia and Serbia. Since it joined EU in 2004 people tend to view it differently, so you're totally right about the term Western evolving endlessly, not to mention Romania and Bulgaria were always demonised and showed as Third-World cesspools while since 2007 they are members of the European Union and magically enjoy a new image.

Edited by goldenstar - 24-Mar-2009 at 21:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:36

Culturally we can say that Latin America is very closely related to the West World ( if it means countries that shre European heritage ). Considering economy I don't see how Bolivia or Colombia or other Latin American countries can be called part of Western World. But Chile or Argentina are close to West World. There has to be distinction because countries of Latin America differ one to another.
If You Pinguin know "so well" diffrencies between European countries You should realize such exist in Latin America.

It's funny putting all Latin America to the Western World as it just far from the truth. I wouldn't call Peru or Bolivia or Ecuador part of West for sure.

Second if You don't consider countries of Eastern Europe like Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary or Slovenia ( richer, more developed than any country in Latin America being since Xth century or earlier important part of Europe ) part of the Western World than I have no bloody idea how You can consider latin America WestConfused.

For me at the moment the West World are EU countries, North America, Australia, Japan, NZ. Besides term West is evolving all the time. Part of West is now Spain while at the beginning of XXth century nobody would claim Spain to be part of West World.

Is nothing funny. I am talking about Western Civilization, not about a label hijacked by the Anglosaxons to define the fan club of the U.S.A.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:38
Originally posted by goldenstar

Besides term West is evolving all the time. Part of West is now Spain while at the beginning of XXth century nobody would claim Spain to be part of West World.

Poland was not traditionally seen as a part of the West , it was the same as Russia and Serbia. Since it joined EU in 2004 people thend to view it differently, so you're totally right about the term Western evolving endlessly, not to mention Romania and Bulgaria were always demonised and showed as Third-World cesspools while since 2007 they are members of the European Union and magically enjoy a new image.

That's only gringo ignorance. The Western Civilization has a clear definition.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:44
I am talking about Western Civilization

Yes, and you are the only one it seems.

If you want to fight people having stereotypes about Latin America I think you're at the wrong place. All Empires has seen very little anti-latino bigotry, so your crusade is really out of place here.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:44

I agree, I meant new countries that suddenly adopt Western standards and Westernise themselves are accepted as Western nations through the centuries.

Nordic Europe was once Pagan and out of the Western Christian Europe, then at war with Islam, same for Pagan Slavic Eastern Europe.

The traditional Western World being Greece and the Roman Empire as I said, and then their succeding entities of the Papal states and Frankish and Byzantine Empires.

Edited by goldenstar - 24-Mar-2009 at 21:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:49
Our ancestors were Europeans. We never stopped to be so. Our people is condemned because it mixed, and only because that.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:52

Our ancestors were Europeans. We never stopped to be so. Our people is condemned because it mixed, and only because that.

Do not be upset, Europeans of Europe are mixed too... Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:57

That is what that angree me the most! Europeans and Americans see as as mixed, and we see they are becoming a lot less Europeans than we are, day by day Confused

No kidding, I have a neighbour of French ancestry. She has relative in France. All the time she goes there come back disguisted to see so many Black Africans, Asians and other non-Whites in France... so she always come back to my country, Chile , who is seen by her as more European Confused
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 22:15

That is what that angree me the most! Europeans and Americans see as as mixed, and we see they are becoming a lot less Europeans than we are, day by day Confused

No kidding, I have a neighbour of French ancestry. She has relative in France. All the time she goes there come back disguisted to see so many Black Africans, Asians and other non-Whites in France... so she always come back to my country, Chile , who is seen by her as more European Confused

What a racist girl... LOL

She is right, there are millions of Blacks, Arabs, Turks, Asians, etc. In Germany, the U.K, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, or France (I visited all these countries), foreigners and people of foreign ancestry are everywhere in the streets, impossible to not see hundreds everyday when you go out, same in schools. I am myself of Algerian ancestry as you know, and there are probably more Algerians here than in Chile... Embarrassed

Edited by goldenstar - 24-Mar-2009 at 23:02
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 23:09

Poland was not traditionally seen as a part of the West , it was the same as Russia and Serbia. Since it joined EU in 2004 people tend to view it differently, so you're totally right about the term Western evolving endlessly, not to mention Romania and Bulgaria were always demonised and showed as Third-World cesspools while since 2007 they are members of the European Union and magically enjoy a new image.

I agree, exactly what I'm saying. I'm just saying that if Poland was not part of West World and now it only just because belongs to EU than surely Latin America never was part of so called West.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 23:18

Poland was not traditionally seen as a part of the West , it was the same as Russia and Serbia. Since it joined EU in 2004 people thend to view it differently, so you're totally right about the term Western evolving endlessly, not to mention Romania and Bulgaria were always demonised and showed as Third-World cesspools while since 2007 they are members of the European Union and magically enjoy a new image.

Than what is is? and You still didn't explain why Eastern Europe is not part of Western civilisation but Latin America is. I must say it is quite strange view.
If we understand Wetern Civilisation as countries sharing so called European values or heritage than Latin America is part of it but if You mean most influential and most advanced techologically and economically countries than Latin America is not part of this world.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 23:24

I agree, exactly what I'm saying. I'm just saying that if Poland was not part of West World and now it only just because belongs to EU than surely Latin America never was part of so called West.

I anticipate your forgiveness if I am too curious, but how come you have an avatar of Ottoman Sultan Soliman the Magnificent, are you part Turkish or only Polish?
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 23:35

I anticipate your forgiveness if I am too curious, but how come you have an avatar of Ottoman Sultan Soliman the Magnificent, are you part Turkish or only Polish?

I'm Polish but I like Ottoman history.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 00:41

Than what is is? and You still didn't explain why Eastern Europe is not part of Western civilisation but Latin America is. I must say it is quite strange view.
If we understand Wetern Civilisation as countries sharing so called European values or heritage than Latin America is part of it but if You mean most influential and most advanced techologically and economically countries than Latin America is not part of this world.

Very simple. The Western Civilization is the civilization build on the heritage of the Roman Empire. The Western Civilization is Greek-Roman in its social structure and mechanics, and it is also Jewish-Christian in its religion.

All the countries and regions that have a Roman heritage are, of course, part of the Western Civilization.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 00:46

... I am myself of Algerian ancestry as you know, and there are probably more Algerians here than in Chile... Embarrassed

Well, as far as the pictures of Maghrebians I have seen, and Algerians in particular, no one will notice they are foreigners in Chile. You guys look very similar physically to us LOL. My neighbour won't complain Big smile
By the way, there is half a million Palestineans and other Arabs in Chile, and they feel here at home. Curiosly enough, most of them are Christians. They assimilated without problems at all.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 01:13

Yes, we are considered the bastard people of the Western world, and poor on top of that, and  therefore excluded.

I sometimes wonder how come USA do not make an exception for Argentina Confused ( S America & Argentina,in the Far East is Asia & Japan ) since that country has at least 80% pure Italians and Spanish population,it's most modern and prosperous in the Southern Hemisphere.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>