Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Latin America Western?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: Is Latin America Western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [50.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [28.07%]
6 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Latin America Western?
    Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 12:41
How nice to hear from the original author! You reason well and as you may have assessed from my earlier posts I agree with your conclusion.

Originally posted by goldenstar

It is an other concept of civilisation, I tend to think the most objective criteria to call a nation civilised is not only technological advances and the best organisation to mass exterminate human beings, but moral and human values, like democracy and human rights for instance.

Actually it's less objective, as you cannot objectively measure the moral worth of any society without first imposing a subjective moral standard. I define civilization the way I do because material worth can be easily measured without pertaining to subjective notions of good and evil.

Egypt and the rest of the Middle-East dominated by Greek dynasties quickly Hellenised themselves though, Carthage and Numidia were influenced by Greece as well. In the huge territory Rome conquered, the whole Mediterranea and surrounding areas, the locals have been Romanised and adopted the civilisation of their conquerants. This legacy is reflected by the Latin languages of Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, which were once Celtic speaking, not to mention Romania.

Conquerants? I figured you lived in France. Approve

I don't disagree, but the scale of the contemporary Graeco-Roman influence is not comparable to that of modern Western civilization.

Chinese are not adopting Western culture

Oh they are. They have adopted Western clothing styles, hair styles, entertainment, technology, even thoughts. Prior to Western influence no Chinese wore suits, they didn't watch movies or listen to pop music, they didn't have cars, railroads, TVs, computers, internet or skyscrapers of steel and concrete, neither did they think in terms of communism and capitalism. I'm not saying Western culture has replaced the Chinese one, but it has certainly pervaded their society and altered it beyond recognition to anyone who lived before the transformation took place. Most of this is also true for developed African and Middle Eastern countries, and those for whom it isn't true are considered backwards for that very reason.

I still doubt you feel Middle-Easternised in every day life

You make a valid point here, but it doesn't have any impact on my arguments. Yes, the Middle East has made a lot of contributions to mankind and Western civilization is partly built on these advances, and you could say it would be justified if Westerners would feel a little "Middle Easternized", because in a way they are. However, the time when the civilizations of Egypt and the Fertile Crescent were amongst the world's most advanced is long gone and they represent a much older link in the chain of development, whereas Western civilization represents the latest. Also it wouldn't make sense to speak of being Middle Easternized as the Sumerians, Egyptians, Hittites etc. did not see themselves as all belonging to a single unitary Middle Eastern civilization, unlike modern Westerners who are highly conscious of their cultural identity whether they are in Britain, the US or Australia.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 13:23
Originally posted by Reginmund

Oh they are. They have adopted Western clothing styles, hair styles, entertainment, technology, even thoughts. Prior to Western influence no Chinese wore suits, they didn't watch movies or listen to pop music, they didn't have cars, railroads, TVs, computers, internet or skyscrapers of steel and concrete, neither did they think in terms of communism and capitalism. I'm not saying Western culture has replaced the Chinese one, but it has certainly pervaded their society and altered it beyond recognition to anyone who lived before the transformation took place. Most of this is also true for developed African and Middle Eastern countries, and those for whom it isn't true are considered backwards for that very reason.

Same goes for the West itself the past 100 years though ;)
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 14:07
Sure, but I don't see how it impacts the issue at hand.
Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2009 at 17:20
Latin America is for the most part Western. Sure, it has a great number of mixed race Mestizos and some blend of Native culture in it, but it is the culture brought on by the European immirgrants that are prevalent, particularly language and religion which do play a large part in culture. Also, it is important to note that there are many descendants of immirgrants from Northern and Eastern Europe in countries such as Brazil and Argentina. So really like Canada and US it has people from all over Europe.

And also I disagree with the belief that a country that is considered 'Western' has to be rich and democratic. When was that written as a fact? It is only the culture that matters.
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
Emilia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Emilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2009 at 17:45

Hello.  I am the author of the piece, so I'll just respond to you.

I would say that even if Latin America didn't have the influx of immigrants from Europe in the past century or so (an influx that involves only certain specific countries, like Argentina, Chile, Brazil or Uruguay and to a lesser extent Venezuela) it would still be Western because the Spanish (and Portuguese in Brazil) made it Western when they conquered it and spread their culture.

Also, you're right about "rich, democracy" not necessarily equalling Western.  For example, Japan is a rich democracy, but it's certainly not Western. I would say that even though it's not rich  the Philippines is more Westernized than Japan, even if I wouldn't even call the Philippines Western.

Emilia
Ëperom View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ëperom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2010 at 14:35
We are Western indeed, but the question is not an easy one.

Modern Western Culture includes freethought, democracy, human rights, etc; and some countries in Latin America do not follow this. Though, it's still Western, denying it would be like saying that Nazi Germany or Franco's Spain wasn't Western.

Now, Argentina is not only Western but also modernized. Our most important thinker, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, had some ideas for this countries that would have probably make us part of the First World if we followed them all. We did have setbacks but we are still Western.

As for the race, we are Whiter than many parts of the USA, Argentina is 70-80% White and Buenos Aires is around 90-95%.

I know, though, that there are some people that consider that because we had a dictatorship and so we cannot be Western, but there's no way you can correctly say Argentina is not Western but Spain or Portugal are, not even by that standards.

We have five Nobel Laureates (even when genious like Borges didn't get one), I know it's not much but it's more than New Zealand (3) or Greece (2).

People always think we are like Mexico or Brasil, well, let me show you a picture of our people in Crespo (Entre Rios, Argentina): http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Multitud_Crespo.jpg

And here's a famous Argentine model, "Luisana Lopilato": http://i42.tinypic.com/mwte90.jpg

Do you still think we are "American Indian"?

And lastly, we are not poor. We have the 31th largest nominal GDP, and the 23rd largest by purchasing power. Also, when we first started as an economy we were considered similar to Canada and Australia, it was only later that we had a big setback, but even with that I don't consider Argentina a poor country. Buenos Aires's Human Development is 0,923, higher than Czech Republic for example (0,903) or Portugal (0,909); and much higher than a country like Poland (0,880). You consider all of those countries as Western, don't you?

Latin American is not an identity by the way, it's just a word that Americans invented to refer to everything in the Americas that is not Canada and the USA. Mexico is nothing like Cuba, that is nothing like Peru, that is nothing like Argentina.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2010 at 16:13
And, indeed your nation is a multicultural one! Lots of Spanish, a good deal of Germanic (not Spanish Germanic) and a good deal of natives!

Western it has to be! But, the one thing that has always seperated your so called "latin America" is the accent upon Latin, or really Spanish! It seems, that amongst most other so called "Western nations", that English is a "second" language, but over the years, I seem to have noticed that in Latin America, there exists almost "no" second languages! That is, in most S.American nations, the only languages needed are either Spanish or Portugese!

How do I know this? Via beauty pageants! laugh!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Ëperom View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ëperom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 10:11
Yes, we are very multicultural in the sense that we have strong Italian, French and German adding to the Spanish base (actually we have more Italian influence than Spanish), plus minority influences too (Slavic, Irish, Danish, etc).

In Argentina, if you study at any university, you need to know English, no matter the subject. In every school there's English too. If you go to Buenos Aires almost all the youth speaks English.

It's a matter of class too, the middle class learns English to position themselves in a sort of higher status in the liberal Americanized world. Some time ago the same hapenned with French here, now it's English. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213