Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Latin America Western?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Poll Question: Is Latin America Western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [50.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [28.07%]
6 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Latin America Western?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 18:26
I can't deny a Bolivian is the same people that the rest of Hispanics just based on the fact he has more "Aymara genes" than the rest.

I don't think many Aymara's (and I'm not talking about mestizos with Aymara heritage here) will like it when you label them 'western' though.

In fact one of the reasons the indigenist movement has become so strong in the past few decades is that many Latin Americans and Latin American governments still seem to insist all inhabitants of the region, from the most upperclass criollo gated communities in Las Condes and Garza García from the poorest ramshackle isolated indigenous villages in the Guatemalan highlands, Andes valleys and Amazon basin, share the same national culture.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 18:36
Our Aymaras, Mapuches and Easter Islanders are Chileans. We don't have the habit of segregating people in different cultures. That doesn't mean we don't respect and appreciate theirs own ethnical heritage.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 18:48
Originally posted by pinguin

Our Aymaras, Mapuches and Easter Islanders are Chileans. We don't have the habit of segregating people in different cultures. That doesn't mean we don't respect and appreciate theirs own ethnical heritage.

Most Mapuches, Aymaras and Easter Islanders* seem to disagree that they share the same culture as the people of Las Condes though. If you really think the indigenous people of the Americas don't have any problems with the fact the rest doesn't want to differentiate between indigenous and western culture I doubt if you've ever read a newspaper in the last 25 years.

And in any case, if you don't differentiate between differentiating between cultures that means a random Mapuche person is as western as you and me?

*I'm not completely sure about the Easter Islanders though.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 18:53

Originally posted by Majkes

Than Russia would also fit to this description.

Of course. Russia and all the "orthodox" East is a very important branch of the Western Civilization. I don't deny that there are subgroups inside this civilization, and that the "Protestant" North, the "Catholic" South, The Germanic-Scandinavian society, the "Anglosphere" are all valid and very real communities. But also Iberoamerica is for real, and to understand it one must realize one foot of it is in Iberia and the other in the Americas.

Than there is no doubt that Latin America is a specific part of Western World if we accept definition proposed by You.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:01
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

...Most Mapuches, Aymaras and Easter Islanders* seem to disagree that they share the same culture as the people of Las Condes though. If you really think the indigenous people of the Americas don't have any problems with the fact the rest doesn't want to differentiate between indigenous and western culture I doubt if you've ever read a newspaper in the last 25 years.

And in any case, if you don't differentiate between differentiating between cultures that means a random Mapuche person is as western as you and me?

*I'm not completely sure about the Easter Islanders though.

Well, I don't live at "Las Condes" either. All my life I have had Mapuche friends. My wife, I suspect Embarrassed, also have Mapuche ancestry. I have had Mapuche friends at primary school, high school, university and at work. I have visited theirs communities, and I even study Mapuche.
I don't see the difference, indeed, although I respect theirs legitimate claims to land, and I support the preservation of the Mapuche culture, that is a foundational culture of my country as well.
So?

And with respect if they are Western or not, of course they are Westerners.

Edited by pinguin - 25-Mar-2009 at 19:04
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:14
I'm not talking about Mapuche friends or Mapuche ascendancy, I don't doubt that you are genuinely intested in Mapuche culture. I'm talking about the Mapuche cultural-political movement here. Mapuche want to have their own legal and political systems, different from the Chilean national one (a western one), recognized. They claim land based on traditional (non-western) views of ownership. They want an official status for the Mapuche language. Etc. If a people claim things like that it's obvious that they don't want to assimilate to mainstream/western/mestizo/whatever you want to call it Chilean culture and want to be recognized as a separate ethnicity.

And it's not just the Mapuche: movements like this are found all over the region. Bolivia being currently the most prominent example. Their new constitution explicitly states Bolivia is a pluri-ethnic country. The Zapatista uprising in Mexico of 1994 was for a large part fuelled by the inability of the Mexican government (and population) to recognize the indigenous cultures as distinct from the national one. Then there's the Mayan movement in Guatemala, the CONAIE in Ecuador, the etnocaceristas in Peru, the movement of the Amazonian indians in Brazil. Whether you like it or not (I also have my reservations myself), indigenous groups all over the continent are asserting their rights to be recognized as different from the dominant (western) national cultures.
goldenstar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:19

I'm not talking about Mapuche friends or Mapuche ascendancy, I don't doubt that you are genuinely intested in Mapuche culture. I'm talking about the Mapuche cultural-political movement here. Mapuche want to have their own legal and political systems, different from the Chilean national one (a western one), recognized. They claim land based on traditional (non-western) views of ownership. They want an official status for the Mapuche language. Etc. If a people claim things like that it's obvious that they don't want to assimilate to mainstream/western/mestizo/whatever you want to call it Chilean culture and want to be recognized as a separate ethnicity.

And it's not just the Mapuche: movements like this are found all over the region. Bolivia being currently the most prominent example. Their new constitution explicitly states Bolivia is a pluri-ethnic country. The Zapatista uprising in Mexico of 1994 was for a large part fuelled by the inability of the Mexican government (and population) to recognize the indigenous cultures as distinct from the national one. Then there's the Mayan movement in Guatemala, the CONAIE in Ecuador, the etnocaceristas in Peru, the movement of the Amazonian indians in Brazil. Whether you like it or not (I also have my reservations myself), indigenous groups all over the continent are asserting their rights to be recognized as different from the dominant (western) national cultures.

Does this movement involve the majority of the people or only some groups?

Sometimes a minority of independentists living in the Western World makes a lot of noise and gives a fake image of their counterparts' opinion. In Alsace there are some people who say they're German and not French, and ask for independence, but they're extremely small in number because most Alsatians identify with France.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:26

It is more complex than that. There is not a clear cut division between Mapuches and the rest of Chileans. That's something both groups know.

Of course they have to assert theirs rights, particularly to the preservation of theirs language, traditions and lands. However, that doesn't mean the natives of today are the same people than 500 years ago. It doesn't mean either theirs contemporary culture are radically different from the rest.

Mapuches, for instance, have large degree of admixture with Europeans, they speak Spanish, they are christians, there are many profesionals among them. They are so much westernized the state is making effort to teach them Mapuche, to make textiles, to recover theirs pottery skills, etc.

So, the real problem is that Western culture is so widespread and corrosive they are losing the ancient culture fast.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:28
Can someone tell me what the purpose of this thread is at page 11?  I do not see anyone being convinced that Latin America is or is not "western." 

Nor do I see being persuasive any other arguments about other places or people that are held up as being this or that characterization, when it is those who hold most dearly to their conceptions of themselves doing the arguing.  It is an endless circle.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:37
Hey, now we are talking about a very interesting subtopic: How much Indian are really the Indigenous people of Latin America. If you close the thread, we will have to open other.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by goldenstar

Sometimes a minority of independentists living in the Western World makes a lot of noise and gives a fake image of their counterparts' opinion. In Alsace there are some people who say they're German and not French, and ask for independence, but they're extremely small in number because most Alsatians identify with France.

It depends heavily from country to country and from group to group.

Bolivia is the best example nowadays. 61% of the population is indigenous and Evo Morales has won the presidency with 53%. Of course not every indigenous voted for Morales and not all Morales voters are indigenous, but it is saying something. And in Bolivia there's also a movement that's more radical than Morales and his MAS, which is Pachakuti led by Felipe Quispe, who has a kind of 'if we get in power we'll see if we allow the criollos and mestizos to stay in Bolivia, rhetoric. He got 6% in the last presidential elections. Both Quispe and Morales are Aymaras, and Aymaras are usually considered to be more involved in the indigenist movement than Quechuas, the other big indigenous group

Another very good example is Ecuador, where about 25% of the population. The main indigenous organization, CONAIE, has repeatedly contributed to the downfall of presidents in the last 15 years, and the two previous presidents have been elected in large part thanks to indigenous support.

The most noteworthy group in Mexico (10-15% indigenous) is the EZLN, the Zapatista National Liberation Movement. I am not really sure, but I have been under the impression that the EZLN is more popular amongst leftwing university students than amongst indigenous groups. Nonetheless they definately thank their existance in a large part to indigenous support.

In the last presidential elections in Peru (40% indigenous) one of the main candidates, Ollanta Humala, ran on a platform referring to indigenous values, but he was (very) narrowly defeated in the second round. I don't know that much about Peru, but I think many mestizos in Peru also identify rather strongly with indigenous culture, more so than in most other Latin American countries.

The Mapuche movement in Chile (10% indigenous) is usually considered one the most well organized ones and they probably have a significant share of support amongst the Mapuche, but I'm not sure how many.

There's also an indigenist movement in Guatemala (45% indigenous), but it's not really strong. Guatemala is very weird sociopoliticaly anyway, religious differences and activism seem to be much more important than indigenism nowadays.

A funny way to see the differences between the different counties: if you use Google image search with 'movimiento maya guatemala' you'l mostly get folcloric or touristy pictures, and if you see an activist it's almost always Rigoberta Menchú (who won the Nobel peace prize in 1992, she ran for president in 2007 and got only 2% of the vote - most of it in Guatemala City). Google 'movimiento mapuche chile' and almost all pictures will contain activists.

In any case to my knowledge there are very few if any groups that demand independence.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:47

Indeed, I haven't studied the U.S. fully. However half the programs on TV I have seen in my life (how many thousand hours?) come from the U.S. I can see the way Americans think just looking at how they are on TV.

That's a rather dangerous tack to take, if you'll pardon me saying so.

I lived in Canada among English speakers, and I met several Americans there. I know how the average person thinks.

And my conclusion is: for the average American either we are all Mexicans or we live in the jungle hunting birds with bowpipes.. Confused

Canada + Several Americans (leaving aside the fact that anyone who lives in the Americas IS AMERICAN) does not an authoritative argument make.

Then again, I will say it's best not to overestimate the knowledge and understanding of the "average person" wherever you are in the world. I'm not so much of an optimist about humanity that I'll rabidly assume that, no matter what, my average fellow citizen doesn't really understand much of anything at all about Latin America. Or many other things, for that matter. Still, I ask for something more than limited personal experience and assertions about cultural prejudices!

...Maybe we should create a survey...Smile

Edited by TheARRGH - 25-Mar-2009 at 19:48
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:56

It is more complex than that. There is not a clear cut division between Mapuches and the rest of Chileans. That's something both groups know.

Of course there's no clear cut division. But that doesn't mean there is no division at all, or that you could just as well lump them together.

I can make phone calls with my computer, so the distinction between telephones and computers are starting to blurr as well, but that doesn't mean I call my computer a telephone.

Of course they have to assert theirs rights, particularly to the preservation of theirs language, traditions and lands. However, that doesn't mean the natives of today are the same people than 500 years ago.

I agree with that. That's one of the reasons I said I have my reservations against it as well, a lot of the indigenous traditions are not really indigenous at all. 'Invention of tradition' is very common. But that doesn't mean indigenous people don't see their traditions as different.

And in any case, western culture is not the same as it was in 1500 either. Fortunately I might say.

It doesn't mean either theirs contemporary culture are radically different from the rest.

Mapuches, for instance, have large degree of admixture with Europeans, they speak Spanish, they are christians, there are many profesionals among them. They are so much westernized the state is making effort to teach them Mapuche, to make textiles, to recover theirs pottery skills, etc. [quote]
different enough to be different in any case

And again: it doesn't mean if you or I consider their culture as different, what does matter if they consider their culture as different. If they consider themselves to be different they have every right to have that recognized.

[quote]
So, the real problem is that Western culture is so widespread and corrosive they are losing the ancient culture fast.

Yes, of course. But lumping indigenous and nonindigenous culture together doesn't make that better.

A notorious example is from Guatemala: because the Guatemala government considered Guatemala to be western until very recently Guatemalan schools only taught the history of western civilization. In other words: Mayan schoolchildren would learn everything about Rome, but they wouldn't be able to tell you anything about who built Tikal.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 20:17
Pinguin
Hey, now we are talking about a very interesting subtopic: How much Indian are really the Indigenous people of Latin America.

You could also argue the opposite for people with European heritage.

Mixcoatl

It depends heavily from country to country and from group to group.

Bolivia is the best example nowadays. 61% of the population is indigenous and Evo Morales has won the presidency with 53%. Of course not every indigenous voted for Morales and not all Morales voters are indigenous, but it is saying something. And in Bolivia there's also a movement that's more radical than Morales and his MAS, which is Pachakuti led by Felipe Quispe, who has a kind of 'if we get in power we'll see if we allow the criollos and mestizos to stay in Bolivia, rhetoric. He got 6% in the last presidential elections. Both Quispe and Morales are Aymaras, and Aymaras are usually considered to be more involved in the indigenist movement than Quechuas, the other big indigenous group

Another very good example is Ecuador, where about 25% of the population. The main indigenous organization, CONAIE, has repeatedly contributed to the downfall of presidents in the last 15 years, and the two previous presidents have been elected in large part thanks to indigenous support.

The most noteworthy group in Mexico (10-15% indigenous) is the EZLN, the Zapatista National Liberation Movement. I am not really sure, but I have been under the impression that the EZLN is more popular amongst leftwing university students than amongst indigenous groups. Nonetheless they definately thank their existance in a large part to indigenous support.

In the last presidential elections in Peru (40% indigenous) one of the main candidates, Ollanta Humala, ran on a platform referring to indigenous values, but he was (very) narrowly defeated in the second round. I don't know that much about Peru, but I think many mestizos in Peru also identify rather strongly with indigenous culture, more so than in most other Latin American countries.

The Mapuche movement in Chile (10% indigenous) is usually considered one the most well organized ones and they probably have a significant share of support amongst the Mapuche, but I'm not sure how many.

There's also an indigenist movement in Guatemala (45% indigenous), but it's not really strong. Guatemala is very weird sociopoliticaly anyway, religious differences and activism seem to be much more important than indigenism nowadays.

A funny way to see the differences between the different counties: if you use Google image search with 'movimiento maya guatemala' you'l mostly get folcloric or touristy pictures, and if you see an activist it's almost always Rigoberta Menchú (who won the Nobel peace prize in 1992, she ran for president in 2007 and got only 2% of the vote - most of it in Guatemala City). Google 'movimiento mapuche chile' and almost all pictures will contain activists.

In any case to my knowledge there are very few if any groups that demand independence.

This is exactly what I meant and what makes Latin America unique to herself in my opinion. (unique in the specific groups which inhabit the region, not unique in having different ethnic groups, every country has some degree of diversity).
Its not an insult to say these things!
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 20:20
Bulldog. Our dear dog. Please, go to bark to another thread. Thanks.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 20:28
Perhaps we should save the insults for a forum that isn't meant to center on legitimate historical discussion and debate?

If that's too much to ask, this entire thread really is just a pointless flamewar.

Edited by TheARRGH - 25-Mar-2009 at 20:30
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 20:31
Sorry. It was just a bad joke. Let's continue... please.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 20:39
Originally posted by goldenstar

Complex question once again. The main problem, I think, it is rural poverty. In many countries of the region, the poors concentrate in the rural areas, and Indigenous people also live in rural areas, so it is hard to define which are really the deepest causes.

In the particular case of Mapuches, most of them live in cities. A less numerous group that live in the countryside, are trying to recover ancestral lands. That's the main source of conflict. At least in Chile, independence it is out of the question. There are so many average chileans living in Mapuche territories that is actually impossible. Besides, if they separate from Chile who would protect them from Argentina?
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 21:37

However half the programs on TV I have seen in my life (how many thousand hours?) come from the U.S. I can see the way Americans think just looking at how they are on TV.

Oh my GAWD!!! This is getting to be so absolutely hilarious! You have got to be kidding? Uh... please, please tell me you are kidding?

I lived in Canada among English speakers, and I met several Americans there. I know how the average person thinks.

Well, i am certainly glad that you and pebbles knows what the average US citizen thinks, because i certainly don't know what they are thinking at any given time!

And my conclusion is: for the average American either we are all Mexicans or we live in the jungle hunting birds with bowpipes.. Confused

Now that conclusion is confusing. Tell me, who in the world is telling you all of this?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 21:52
I am exagerating, of course. But one of the main complains Latinos always made is that Americans don't have idea of geography. For instance, Bush confussed Slovenia with Slovakia. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>