Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surpression of the April Uprising-Europe in shock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surpression of the April Uprising-Europe in shock
    Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 17:04
It was an insurrection organised by the Bulgarians in the Ottoman Empire from April to May 1876, the indirect result of which was the establishment of Bulgaria as an independent nation in 1878.

The 1876 uprising was the last and biggest in a string of Bulgarian revolts but spread only in parts of the Bulgarian territories. The emergence of Bulgarian national sentiments was tightly coupled with the re-establishment of the independent Bulgarian church in 1870. Together with notions of romantic nationalism the rise of national awareness became known as the Bulgarian National Revival.

The Bulgarian population was suppressed socially and politically for the past few centuries under Ottoman rule and the resentment towards it was historically high.Additionally, more immediate causes for the greater mobilisation compared to earlier revolts were the severe internal and external problems which the Ottoman Empire experienced in the middle of the 1870s. In 1875, taxes levied on non-Muslims were raised for fear of a state bankruptcy, which, in its turn, caused additional tension between Muslims and Christians and facilitated the breakout of the Herzegovinian rebellion and the Stara Zagora revolt in Bulgaria. The failure of the Ottomans to handle the Herzegovinian uprising successfully showed the weakness of the Ottoman state while the brutalities which ensued, discredited additionally the empire to the outside world.

In November 1875, activists of the Bulgarian Revolutionary Central Committee met in the Romanian town of Giurgiu and decided that the political situation was suitable for a general uprising. The uprising was scheduled for April or May 1876. The territory of the country was divided into five revolutionary districts with centres in Vratsa, Veliko Tarnovo, Sliven, Plovdiv and Sofia.
In the progress of the preparation of the uprising, the organisers gave up the idea of a fifth revolutionary district in Sofia due to the deplorable situation of the local revolutionary committees and moved the centre of the fourth revolutionary district from Plovdiv to Panagyurishte. On 14 April 1876, a general meeting of the committees from the fourth revolutionary district was held in the Oborishte locality near Panagyurishte to discuss the proclamation of the insurrection. One of the delegates, however, disclosed the plot to the Ottoman authorities. On 20 April 1876, Ottoman police made an attempt to arrest the leader of the local revolutionary committee in Koprivshtitsa, Todor Kableshkov.

In conformity with the decisions taken at Oborishte, the local committee attacked the headquarters of the Ottoman police in the town and proclaimed the insurrection two weeks in advance. Within several days, the rebellion spread to the whole Sredna Gora and to a number of towns and villages in the northwestern Rhodopes. The insurrection broke out in the other revolutionary districts, as well, though on a much smaller scale. The areas of Gabrovo, Tryavna, and Pavlikeni also revolted in force, as well as several villages north and south of Sliven and near Berovo (in the present-day Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia).

The reaction of the Ottoman authorities was quick and ruthless. Detachments of regular and irregular Ottoman troops (bashi-bazouks) were mobilised and attacked the first insurgent towns as early as 25 April. By the middle of May, the insurrection was completely suppressed; one of the last sparks of resistance was poet Hristo Botev's attempt to come to the rebels' rescue with a detachment of Bulgarian political emigrees resident in Romania, ending with the unit's rout (and Botev's death). As no records were kept at the time, it is impossible to know exactly how many people were killed during and after the suppression of the uprising. The figure ranges from around 3,000 to at least 15,000, with the latter being the generally accepted figure. Some 80 villages and towns were burned and destroyed and 200 others were plundered.The atrocities which accompanied the suppression of the insurrection reached its peak in the northern Rhodopes. Nearly the whole population (9,000) of the town of Batak including women and children was slaughtered, beheaded or burned alive by Ottoman irregulars who left piles of dead bodies around the town square and church.

The organisers of the uprising did not realistically expect to overthrow the Ottoman oppression but had the goal of drawing attention to the plight of the Bulgarians and placing Bulgaria on the political agenda of the Great Powers.

According to Jelavich, "the April Uprising, which became the major event in later Bulgarian natiaonlist mythology, was a complete failure as a revolution". However, the swift and brutal suppression ordered by the Sultan already engaged by a serious insurgency of Orthodox Christians in Bosnia caused news of atrocities (the "Bulgarian Horrors" in the words of Gladstone) committed by Ottoman irregulars to spread and resulted in an enormous public outcry in Europe. The pictures of burned or slaughtered human bodies and the articles on the Ottoman atrocities went round all European newspapers and the atrocities were condemned by a number of leading European political and cultural figures, including William Gladstone, Charles Darwin, Oscar Wilde, Victor Hugo and Giuseppe Garibaldi.

The tumult caused by the uprising led to the Conference of Constantinople in 1876 and the Russo-Turkish War, 1877-78, which was concluded by the Treaty of San Stefano in March 1878, followed in July that year by the Treaty of Berlin.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 25-Mar-2007 at 02:08
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 17:12
This is NOT a flame war attempt i want to keep the discussion civil.If anyone wants to deny anything please give me documents that proove the opposite don't bash.

Citation from the report of the english journalist Janarius McGahan for the newspaper Daily News.The man came and investigated the Bulgarian lands after the surpression:

"There are things that are simply too horrible to make a simple report.Things which the human mind cannot possibly bear.There are things which disgust you when you see them.Those are the facts which i investigated:

At the end of the report when i see that nearly 70 to 90 villages have been burned to the ground,when more than 15 000 people are slaughtered,most of which women and children,i think it's pointless for me to continue.Even now reports are coming for horrible rapings of women,of children which were impaled on the turkish bayonets.And when i see that this is said not by the Bulgarians but also by the germans working on the railroads there,by the consuls of Plovdiv as well as greeks,armenians even by the turks themselves i think it's pointless to continue"

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 25-Mar-2007 at 02:04
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 17:22
Words of Tsanko Diustabanov in the turkish court.He's a Bulgarian revolutionary which participated in the uprising:

"I know very well that your empire is huge,that the weapons and the soldiers are on your side.I know that we'll not defeat you with force.But i also know that you are barbarians and tyrants.I know that because of the uprising you will commit atrocities to innocents.Our aim wasn't to defeat you-it was to make you commit these atrocities so that the civilised world can see your true face.This is how we defeated you.

By burning so many villages and churches,by slaughtering so many grandparents,women and chlidren you shocked Europe and it will come to chase you from here.You betrayed the hatisherif,you betrayed the hatihumayun where you guaranteed the rights for the christians.You hoped to live with these lies.Europe has had enough of them and doesn't trust you anymore"
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 17:41

Hadjiyski (I think) in his "Psychology of April Uprising" suggested that major idea of it was actually subsequent expected brutality of Ottoman authorities which would help to win the sympathies of the West and Russian Empire societies. Organizers realized clearly that Bulgarians are not ready yet for successfull revolt but started it anyway. Not that I like this idea of Hajiyski but there could be some part of the truth.

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 00:29
Originally posted by Anton

Hadjiyski (I think) in his "Psychology of April Uprising" suggested that major idea of it was actually subsequent expected brutality of Ottoman authorities which would help to win the sympathies of the West and Russian Empire societies. Organizers realized clearly that Bulgarians are not ready yet for successfull revolt but started it anyway. Not that I like this idea of Hajiyski but there could be some part of the truth.

The words of Tsanko Diustabanov are a clear proof for that,i posted them above Wink

The turks did everything as the Bulgarians expected:a pile of girls heads was built right next to the church in Batak.In some places(Batak,Perushtica,Bracigovo) when the turkish bashibozuks came the people fortified themselves with their women in the churches and when the turks set the churches on fire,the men alone killed their women and children because they would be set on a far crueler death to the fanaticised turks.

The governments and the monarchs of the Major Powers didn't react but the news were followed by a massive public outcry and anti-turkish sentiments.There were mass protests led by some of the most famous people then:russian writer Turgenev,William Gladstone-leader of the english liberal party,Victor Hugo,Jiuseppe Garibaldi and many more.Russia had to react since the anti-ottoman and anti-islam sentiments were most high there-the russians felt the Bulgarians closer since they were orthodox christians.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 05-Apr-2007 at 00:52
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 00:45
To all the turks and the other members:Again i say no flames wars!!!I want the discussion to be civil.I present facts and post proof for them,if you don't want to agree then give me proof for the opposite.

Here's more from Janarius Mcgahan's report to his newspaper when he passed through one of the towns after the uprising:

"In the next home,one of the Bulgarians who was walking with us showed us the place where his blind brother was burned alive.The man was crying like a child.Exactly in front of him two children corpses were lying,with clear scimitar cleavages on their sculls.The number of the slaughtered children is incredibly high in this massacre.The reason for this is the following:when the muslim kills a giaur(infidel) his sins are forgiven,no matter what they are, and he goes to heaven."

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 11:53

Hadjiyski (I think)in his "Psychology of April Uprising"suggested that major idea of it was actually subsequent expected brutality of Ottoman authorities which would help to win the sympathies of the West and Russian Empire societies. Organizers realized clearly that Bulgarians are not ready yet for successfull revolt but started it anyway. Not that I like this idea of Hajiyski but there could be some part of the truth.

I think you know what Georgi Benkovski said when he watche the burning villages from mount Lisets.A rude translation:
"My task is done.In the heart of the tyrant i have openned such a terrible wound,that he will never heal,and Russia,she is welcomed."
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:25
Concerning the topic and Janarius McGahan:
A letter of J. A. MacGahan about what he saw in Batak (on English)
And a compilation of letters "The Turkish atrocities in Bulgaria", again by him (on Bulgarian)
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:18
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

.I present facts

Since you are already so convinced of the accuracy of your statements, no argument can make a difference.. So this is a dead-born discussionOuch
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 16:25
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Since you are already so convinced of the accuracy of your statements, no argument can make a difference.. So this is a dead-born discussionOuch

I opened the thread in order to inform the people of a historical fact.It doesn't need always to be a famous battle or an establishment of a state.
And yes i'm convinced that these things really happened so i'd like to see the opinion of others and their views and sources with which to prove them.

I doubt that many people have heard of these atrocities by the way.They must be known not for a flame war start but for simple information.This is a part from Bulgarian and ottoman history for which i'm 100% sure isn't talked about in Turkey today so people must learn for it at least here.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 05-Apr-2007 at 16:34
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 16:58
I don't see any Turkish forumer discussing the issue in this thread, either.

Confused

Anyway, I would say that I don't think this issue has a special meaning for Turks.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 06:02
Well, I would presume that if somebody posts facts about atrocities, comitted by Bulgarians, at least in the beginning there wouldn't be many Bulgarians to respond. I guess there is no nation on the Balkans, which teaches in schools about the atrocities it has comitted, so most people would know about the other's atrocities, but never heard of their own. F.e. I know about Turkish atrocities against us, Serb atrocities, Greek (a bit of back-stabbing from the Romanians too, although no atrocities - I guess that's why we consider them as our best neighbours), but I've heard only very very little of Bulgarian atrocities (and nothing in the school-books, of course). And I doubt we're angels, so I guess just nobody likes teaching shameful things about one's own history.

Btw, when I registered in the forum, at the beginning I entered a "debate" with some Serbian members and one of them told me about another international report exactly of Bulgarian atrocities. However, I can't seem to find it, so I'd be thankful if one could post some more information on such cases.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 06:12
I don't see any Turkish forumer discussing the issue in this thread, either.

Most probably, because It would be boring long and unbeneficial flame war.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 17:57
Originally posted by Mortaza

Most probably, because It would be boring long and unbeneficial flame war.

That's true. I am sure you have many thing to remind us too. But the  important thing here as Ludovik stated is that the way Ottomans treated the rebels was more than important reason for Russian Empire to start the war. It also helped to get at least partial support of this war from European countries.

Interesting thing I also found in Hajiyski was that major role in terrorising Bulgarian population at that time played Circassians and Kurdzhalii. The last group also contained many Bulgarians and was a social group rather than ethnical. The reason why they brought so many problems to Balkan population was decrease of effectivenes of centralized Ottoman ruling.

All the above does not signifficantly decrase the heavyness of karma of present Ottoman descendants Wink
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 01:59

But the  important thing here as Ludovik stated is that the way Ottomans treated the rebels was more than important reason for Russian Empire to start the war.

My dear Bulgarian friend,
if Russia had been worry so much about oppressed people, it wouldn't have suppressed Polish insurrections in 19th c.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:17
Originally posted by NikeBG

Well, I would presume that if somebody posts facts about atrocities, comitted by Bulgarians, at least in the beginning there wouldn't be many Bulgarians to respond. I guess there is no nation on the Balkans, which teaches in schools about the atrocities it has comitted, so most people would know about the other's atrocities, but never heard of their own. F.e. I know about Turkish atrocities against us, Serb atrocities, Greek (a bit of back-stabbing from the Romanians too, although no atrocities - I guess that's why we consider them as our best neighbours), but I've heard only very very little of Bulgarian atrocities (and nothing in the school-books, of course). And I doubt we're angels, so I guess just nobody likes teaching shameful things about one's own history.

This is a very wise opinion.
There is no nation in the world which has completly clean conscience. Unfortunately every war in our human history was/is full of acts of atrocities. We should remember about atrocities of other nations, but we should also remember about atrocities commited by our nations. In the other case, we will always fight with each other.

Edited by ataman - 07-Apr-2007 at 02:22
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 05:18
Originally posted by ataman

But the  important thing here as Ludovik stated is that the way Ottomans treated the rebels was more than important reason for Russian Empire to start the war.

My dear Bulgarian friend,
if Russia had been worry so much about oppressed people, it wouldn't have suppressed Polish insurrections in 19th c.

Well, from one point of view, the Poles, although they're Slavs too, were not only a threat, but were also from another religion - Catholic Christianity. While the Bulgarians were far from a threat and were the same as the Russians - Eastern Orthodox.
From another point of view, although the common people in Russia would've been worried about the fate of their fellow Orthodox Slavs,  we can say that the Russian government was more worried not about the fate of the oppressed people, but how to make use of these oppressed people for its own goals. It's quite clear that, while the normal Russian volunteers have had sincere sympathy, the actual aim of the Russian authorities was to create a vassalized Bulgarian puppet-state, through which it would receive access to the warm waters of the Mediteranean Sea. And that's exactly the reason for the Berlin Congress, where all of the Great Powers divided the newly liberated Bulgaria, so that Russia would not receive a too big advantage in the status quo. The world of politics is simply politics and the Russian high figures found the April Uprising as a good casus belli to help them reach their goals...

Edited by NikeBG - 07-Apr-2007 at 05:19
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 08:01
Well, the reason the Great Powers of the era was helping the separatist movements within the Ottoman Empire is very similar to the reason US was helping Iraqi people!..Dead
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 09:02
Originally posted by NikeBG

Well, from one point of view, the Poles, although they're Slavs too, were not only a threat, but were also from another religion - Catholic Christianity. While the Bulgarians were far from a threat and were the same as the Russians - Eastern Orthodox.
From another point of view, although the common people in Russia would've been worried about the fate of their fellow Orthodox Slavs,  we can say that the Russian government was more worried not about the fate of the oppressed people, but how to make use of these oppressed people for its own goals. It's quite clear that, while the normal Russian volunteers have had sincere sympathy, the actual aim of the Russian authorities was to create a vassalized Bulgarian puppet-state, through which it would receive access to the warm waters of the Mediteranean Sea. And that's exactly the reason for the Berlin Congress, where all of the Great Powers divided the newly liberated Bulgaria, so that Russia would not receive a too big advantage in the status quo. The world of politics is simply politics and the Russian high figures found the April Uprising as a good casus belli to help them reach their goals...

That's true. But for Bulgarians, good thing was the coincidence of Russian imperial interests on Balkans and Bulgarian national interests. That's it. Behaviour of Bashibouzuks just was an additional reason to invade Ottoman Empire by Russian troops.

However, separation of San-Stefano Bulgaria in Berlin was not caused only by suppression of Russian interests on Balkans but also for the reason that San-Stefano Bulgaria was huge comparing to other Balkan countries and could play an independent role in local games. Which obviously was inconvenient for many countries. In a similar way any other state of the same size (f.e. Greece or Serbia) would be separated into several states. As far as I remembe for example, the idea of creation of Jugoslavia with all slavonic nations in it (not necessarily with capital in Belgrade) was discussed at the middle of 19th century. But this idea didn't find understanding neither in Russia nor in western Europe countries.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 09:04
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Well, the reason the Great Powers of the era was helping the separatist movements within the Ottoman Empire is very similar to the reason US was helping Iraqi people!..Dead
True, but as a member of one of those nation I do not find anything bad in this help.  I suspect you have different opinion on the question. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>