Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greeks???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greeks???
    Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:08
I heared that the greeks are a sub saharan people or have admixture.

how much  of this is true?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:17
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I heared that the greeks are a sub saharan people or have admixture. how much of this is true?

Let me know if the links don't work.

Articles

Texts

Pictures

Edited by Hellios - 24-Mar-2007 at 14:26
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:52
I thank you kindly HELLIOS LOTS OF INFO.

i will read it(how more I read the more i get intrested) But not all at once it's alot.

from what I have read sofar the sub-saharab thing is incorrect. I allways thought greeks were diffrent than the rest of europe.

ThanksThumbs%20Up    
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:52

It's true, we all originate from sub-saharan Africa. Wink
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:56
Originally posted by Yiannis

It's true, we all originate from sub-saharan Africa. Wink

heheheLOL

I know

but what I ment was more "recent'
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 17:58

Do you have any study that support your claim ?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by akritas

Confused Thats why I said I have heared. Don't get your panties in a twist buddy
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:25
We are Indo-Europeans,like Iranians.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:27
Originally posted by Spartakus

We are Indo-Europeans,like Iranians.

isn't that a language group?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:35
It is ,but in my personal opinion,language is one of the really few trustworthy things when we search connection with the past.I am not so fond of Genetics.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:37

It is ,but in my personal opinion,language is one of the really few trustworthy things when we search connection with the past.I am not so fond of Genetics.

hmmm yeah I used to think so 2 but I think only in grammar & such

because I don't thrust vocabulary(loaning can happen & does happen)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:38
There is a campain of the Afrocentrist to demostrate Greeks were actually Ethiopians. Afrocentrism is an international political campain to demostrate the center of the universe was Bantu.

There is no much substance at all in their claims, though.

Greeks were Greeks, and they are still Greeks. Period.

Pinguin

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:39

Personaly,i prefer Isocrates :A Hellen/Greek is the one who has Hellenic/Greek education.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:40

I heared that the greeks are a sub saharan people or have admixture. how much  of this is true?

He didn't "claim" anything - he just asked a question. Smile

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:53

Personaly,i prefer Isocrates :A Hellen/Greek is the one who has Hellenic/Greek education.

I agree with him 100%Clap
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 23:03

..the common factors of our Greekness, blood, language, the sacntuaries of the gods and their sacrifices, the same way of life..

Herodotus, vII, 144 (c430 bc)Smile
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 23:52
Originally posted by pinguin

There is a campain of the Afrocentrist to demostrate Greeks were actually Ethiopians. Afrocentrism is an international political campain to demostrate the center of the universe was Bantu.

There is no much substance at all in their claims, though.

Greeks were Greeks, and they are still Greeks. Period.

Pinguin

Oh,yeah the AfrocentristsAngry....

anyway, that which was said from isocrates doesn't match with today's standarts...(unfortunately for us Greeks).

"the common factors of our Greekness, blood, language, the sacntuaries of the gods and their sacrifices, the same way of life.."

Thats a common truth for all the nations, i agree with the second and the last one ...

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 04:36

Was not the Afrocentrists  that started the  sub-saharan issue but the FYROMacedonian  propagandists by the Spanish lab of Villena.  Arnaiz Villena was taken to court for embezzlement charges for the unauthorized use of laboratory and immunological items. Which proves one thing that papers was politically motivated as the Luca Cavalli-Sforza , Neil Risch and Alberto Piazza stated.

And The limitations are made evident by the authors' extraordinary observations that Greeks are very similar to Ethiopians and east Africans but very distant from other south Europeans  and this lab publihed and one more poltical motivated genetic paper by show that  the Japanese are nearly identical to west and south Africans

xi_tujue  knows very well where he "heared" this racist "rumour".

Edited by akritas - 25-Mar-2007 at 04:40
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 05:02
akritas, maybe you missed the post where he agrees the theory is false, here it is again:

I thank you kindly HELLIOS LOTS OF INFO.
i will read it (how more I read the more i get intrested) But not all at once it's alot.
from what I have read so far the sub-saharab thing is incorrect...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 19:03

I, personally, do not find Arnaiz-Villena's arguments about greeks convincing but I feel important to make some remarks about Villena himself.

This guy published up to date 221 articles (f.e. 8 in 2006) in peer-reviewed journals i.e. journals where political motivation can be refused by 2 or 3 anonymous referees. Total citation index of 10 of his best cited papers is 413. This is very good achievement for everyone working in the field of biology. This, basically, means that his colleagues have respect to his work which is obviously politically not motivated.
And here are some comments to the below:

Arnaiz-Villena was taken to court for embezzlement charges for the unauthorized use of laboratory and immunological items.

Science is a business like any other way of getting money. There is no political motivation in unauthorized use of laboratory items. Here is the explanation about the court stuff:

Spanish immunologist Antonio Arnaiz-Villena, the author of a paper on the genetic origins of Palestinians, has been suspended without pay from the Hospital Doce de Octubre in Madrid, where he heads the department of immunology and molecular biology, after being charged with embezzlement of funds.

Dr Arnaiz-Villena, president of Spain's National Commission of Immunology, was the author of a polemical paper on the genetic origins of Palestinians that was retracted and deleted from records last autumn. In it he said that some Palestinians lived in concentration camps.

The embezzlement charges refer to Dr Arnaiz's purchase of products not used in his department's healthcare activities; purchase of hospital products used in healthcare activities but in quantities much greater than needed; falsification of statistical data apparently to justify purchases; humiliating treatment of department staff; delay in healthcare activities; and transfer of department products to the university.

Pilar Notario, spokeswoman for the hospital, said the products referred to were mainly laboratory and immunological items, some of which were allegedly transferred without permission to the university for research purposes, resulting in delay in doing immunological tests for patients.

She said the health ministry's Social Security Investigation Groupa police bodyestimates the fraud may mean the hospital has lost 860000 (531000; $756000) over the past five years. The final figure may reach 3.9m.

In addition to the charges, Dr Arnaiz-Villena is facing allegations of moral harassment at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, where he chairs a research and teaching immunology unit.

Last October, the university started an internal inquiry after complaints by an associate professor at the unit, Mara Jos Recio-Hoyas, whose contract for the academic course 2001-2 was not renewed because Dr Arnaiz- Villena delivered a negative report against her. Among other things, she told the BMJ, Dr Arnaiz- Villena accused her of misappropriating a DNA sequence of 930 base pairs of the DMB primate gene from his personal gene registry at the university.

Dr Arnaiz-Villena told the BMJ that he discovered that Dr Recio-Hoyas had registered the sequence in the gene bank database of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, in her name without telling him. Although she acknowledged that she took the sequence (essential material for her doctoral thesis), she said that she registered it in both their names at the laboratory.

Dr Recio-Hoyas has subsequently had her contract renewed as associate professor after an investigation by the university into her complaint of moral harassment.

Dr Arnaiz-Villena denies all the charges against him. He said he is undergoing a public lynching, which may have a political background. I don't know whether it's just by chance, but problems started shortly after the Human Immunology thing, he said, referring to events surrounding publication of a paper of his last year on the genetic profile of Palestinians.

This incident, believed to be the first time a paper published in a peer reviewed biomedical journal has been retracted as a result of political comments, began when Dr Arnaiz-Villena was invited to be a guest editor of the September issue of Human Immunologythe official journal of the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics. His paper examined the genetic profile of Palestinians compared with Jews and other populations in the region. The study included a summary of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which prompted ferocious complaints.

Dr Nicole Suciu-Foca, editor in chief of the journal, and Dr Robert Lewis of the society's publications committee, condemned the paper in the October issue of the journal and stated that it had been deleted from the scientific literature. At the time, Dr Arnaiz-Villena, who was fired from the journal's editorial board, apologised for any offence caused by his paper but called the unprecedented action unwise.

Both the hospital and the university say that Dr Arnaiz- Villena's current charges have nothing to do with the Human Immunology affair.

So the trial is clearly concerned to financial question between two laboratories and has nothing to do with the proof of this:
Which proves one thing that papers was politically motivated as
because the personality of a scientists has nothing to do with his research unless it had been proven. In the case of prof. Arnaiz-Villena the major question was in interpretation of the obtained results and political comment on Palestinian-Jewish conflict.

the Luca Cavalli-Sforza , Neil Risch and Alberto Piazza stated.

Those guys wrote a letter to Nature with disagreement of Arnaiz-Villena's results and their interpretation. They stated that using of one genetical marker for determination of the origin of a nation might lead to wrong conclusions. This was accepted by Villena in his response in the same issue of Nature where he also said that he is studying the problem using other genetical markes. Agressive tone of Cavalli-Sforza could be also explained by the fact that results obtained by Arnaiz-Villena contradict to the works of Cavalli-Sforza and company. Such wars happen in scientific community permanently and one can find them in every issue of Nature and Science.

and this lab publihed and one more poltical motivated genetic paper by show that  the Japanese are nearly identical to west and south Africans  
There was no such article from his lab. If I am wrong you are very welcome to correct me. Here are all articles of Villena with "japanese" keyword. Point the article that you mentioned.

Obviously, you took this passage from Cavalli-Sforza's letter to Nature  without much understanding what it is about:

The limitations are made evident by the authors' extraordinary observations that Greeks are very similar to Ethiopians and east Africans but very distant from other south Europeans; and that the Japanese are nearly identical to west and south Africans. It is surprising that the authors were not puzzled by these anomalous results, which contradict history, geography, anthropology and all prior population-genetic studies of these groups. Surely the ordinary process of refereeing would have saved the field from this dispute.

So, this is related to a fact from the same paper of Arnaiz-Villena which indeed shows that using of one genetical marker might be dangerous. As for the agressive tone -- I already explained it.

So, basic conclusion is that professor Arnaiz-Villena is respected scientist whether his conclusions are true or not. And  it is bad idea for the people who obviously are far from biology to make attempts compromise this person.

Edited by Anton - 25-Mar-2007 at 19:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>