Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Studying your national history in foreign country

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studying your national history in foreign country
    Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 16:30
Many of my professors were Chinese, but they studies in Usa and gained their PHD.strangly, they researched Chinese history in USA. Do the scholars from a nation which has long history always study their own culture, history, seldom studying foreign history.
leung
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 17:40
It is common for people of a certain nation to study their own national history in other countries.

I work at an institution that is based on the study of a foriegn area and at least 50% of the staff/academics are from the country they concentrate on.

However, 50% are from other nations or from Britain and study different nations from which they are from.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:58
The U.S. is a nice place to study many things. It has great research libraries. I was pretty unhappy when I discovered that it was easier for me to find books on Spanish classical literature in the U.S. than it was in Mexico.

At the same time, doing primary research is very hard outside of the country that one is studying.

A while ago I shared an article that was comparing research done in the U.S. about Mexico and that done in Mexico. The Mexican research was a lot better because they have the archives there. The U.S. research was more interpretative, which I think it has a place, but it is not as strong as archival research.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 13:52
Although it is true that the US are very kean on grand interpretations, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the lack of primary material (see biology or psychology). And conserning primary sources, guess what they buy it See for instance the Uni of Texas collection on English classic litterature or Berkley (?) on Chinese stuff or Yale, Princeton or Harvard on pretty much everything

So yeah they don't have everything yet, but they do have a lot (for Spanish litterature I don't know).
I am a free donkey!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 16:58
You are right, they do buy it. At Berkeley they had some nice classical papyri that the graduate students got to play with.

But there are certain archives that you will not find them except in the country of orgin. And I believe that this is going to be the case for a lot of people interested in modern history.

I miss two things from Berkeley: its food and its libraries
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 03:44
the food is good?
leung
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:50
Sorry for the delay. The food in Berkeley is excellent. They have several bakeries with the best French bread. They have cheese co-op stores which let's you eat fine cheese for little money. There are many gourmet super markets as well, and you got your choice on ethnic food.

They also have many independent coffee houses. The one problems with them is that they burn the coffee because it is the traditional "West Coast" roast, but the pastries are wonderful.

And the university also had the good sense of bringing some of these people to run their food services. Yum!
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:04

sOME ALSO STATED THAT THE Star***** coffee also has a burned taste, it is west coast style??? By the way, how about Chinese food?

Ber is a public university, but it seem that students also have very strong buying power. I plan to go to USA next year, i also want to choose Ber, the question is whether she choose me or not?

leung
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 11:48
Originally posted by tommy

Do the scholars from a nation which has long history always study their own culture, history, seldom studying foreign history.

I presume there are two parts to this question-a) Why scholors from old countries  always study their own history etc. in foreign countries?; b)Do they not study history of the foreign country where they  presently reside?

a)No , not always. But it is not uncommon either.For instance, the Universities in Germany have built up a commendable collection of Oriental MSS  specially of Sanskrit , Pali and other Indian languages . Similarly the India Library , the British Museum in London has a sizeable collection of Indian MSS and artifacts.Why these countries have such a collection - is because of historical reasons.
Indian scholors who research Vedic, Bhuddist, Jain etc. sujects do often refer to MSS , epigraphs, paintings etc. available in these foreign countries.

b) There are innumerable instances of immegrants studying and producing great works about their host country

Edited by sreenivasarao s - 10-Apr-2007 at 16:35
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 07:54
I think studying your national history in a foreign country is a must for any real historian. Because it will expand your view and imganition of your national history, as you will get the chance to benefit from very different sources and minds with other opinions. All in all, writing history is about interepreting and imaging past by using evidence in hand. You might still produce a good work without digging into what other wrote about your history! But no matter how hard you try it will remain constrainted. In my oinion, for example, a true Ottoman historian should know at least more than 5 languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic, Italian, French besides Turkish.

Edited by TheDiplomat - 10-Apr-2007 at 07:56
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 16:15
From what I understand, Chinese food in the U.S. is not like real Chinese food. But then, that is the case with most world food in the U.S.

The issues also becomes more complicated with Chinese food because there were immigrants since the 19th century, so the food in the area has evolved ever since.

That said, I liked it, especially the vegetarian kind. :)

I don't know how much buying power most students have. I would guess that they don't have that much. I never went to the really good restaurants of the area, but if you want to go, they are there.

I hope that you can go to Berkeley. In the mean time, you can listen to listen to lectures in this site:

http://itunes.berkeley.edu/
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 16:32
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

I think studying your national history in a foreign country is a must for any real historian. 

Yes Sir . I agree.
I was not saying one shold not study your history while you are in a foreign country.It can be done . An added advantage  might  be that you  gain a  perspective view of things with which you are very closely involved. It is  also not uncommon for scholors to access material available in other countries.
I was only trying to analyse and understand the original post since it appeared to lack clarity.

Thanks
Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply