Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About "ArmenianSurvival"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About "ArmenianSurvival"
    Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:26

As for population argument(which has no source),lets not forget the number of casualties will not make much sense since ''a murder is a murder'' and can be defined by only law,which we used to discuss.Furthermore please keep in mind the Turkish Caualties doubled in comprasion the Ottoman armenians in the region.I am gonna reply with Kevork Pamukcian'S statics directly,who is accepted to have been best Turkish-Armenian researcher.

400.000 Ottoman Armenians left for Russia and Caucasus

200.000Ottoman Armenians left for usa and europe

400.000 Ottoman Armenians stayed in Syria and Lebanon

100.000protestan and catholic ottoman armenians excluded from relocation

100.000otoman armenians converted to islam.

approximately 400.000 or 500.000 according to kevork pamukcian is the number of armenian casualties in comprasion the turkish casualties in the region which over 1 million.

Kevork Pamukcian wrote over 400 articles in both Turkish and Armenian.You can get info about him by clicking this web-site http://www.arasyayincilik.com/turkce/turkce.html  His writing published by the Aras Publications,which is a window of the armenian literature in Turkey.

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:35

Correction: those Armenians that were not killed, were forced to immigrate. Those who were not fortunate enough to immigrate, were forced to convert to Islam because simply their life had become intolerable in an unhospitable land.

Same happened to the Greeks of Anatolia, Constantinople, Imvros & Tenedos ... I trust it's no coincidence...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:43

By the Way

i have to bring up the point that the individual rights can be restricted during times concerning state security with the'' European Human Rights Commitment ''signed in 1954.The eruopean human rights commitment makes sense to me.

yesterday i researched the point of law on this issue.And that convention article posted by Yiannis is not the whole article ofcourse,which means there are restrictions onthe definations of genocide acts as regard to situation.For example,times of war,civil uprests excluded from this definition.

Now i understand why the opposite side  refused heavily when The Turkish side made an offer by Ambassador Gunduz Aktan for putting the issue on the agenda of international law.!And this refusal continues!

Ofcourse it is now clear that why the British side strongly refuses these allegations..without doubt as well as Israeli scholars.

So it is not that simple to comment from just 1 page.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:54
Originally posted by Yiannis

Correction: those Armenians that were not killed, were forced to immigrate. Those who were not fortunate enough to immigrate, were forced to convert to Islam because simply their life had become intolerable in an unhospitable land.

Same happened to the Greeks of Anatolia, Constantinople, Imvros & Tenedos ... I trust it's no coincidence...

killed?it is quite free and easy  to manipulate,Yiannis.isnt it?

Correctionand look at the word forced..ofcourse you have no source for that.but since France,Usa,Russia opened their doors for them,why should they refuse this great offer?if iwere one of them i would also leave this collapsed state after many civil fights for a better future..

Ofcourse there is nothing called coincidence.Just look at what happened to Balkan Turks,Turks of greece and turks who witnessed the occupution of the Hellenic Army during 1919-1922.Venizelos offered Karaagac town to Turkey for a compasation due to atrocities of Hellenic Army between 1919-1922. ...A town for millions of the lifes..

But i should make it clear that i dont have any dislike for greeks and armenians for these atrocities.Because i strongly support the idea of a French historian.

He once said that''Getting wrong lessons from history is much more harmful than having no any knowledge of history''.

Edited by TheDiplomat

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 15:10

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

approximately 400.000 or 500.000 according to kevork pamukcian is the number of armenian casualties in comprasion the turkish casualties in the region which over 1 million.

Buddy, incase your not aware, the bulk of the Ottoman Army was comprised of Turks which died in the World War, the war they chose to join. There are a lot more Turks in the Ottoman Empire than there are Armenians, hence more numerical losses of lives. If you choose to look at the PERCENTAGE of people killed from each side, the Armenian side was substantially higher, seeing as there was only 2 million Armenians in the Ottoman Empire at the time. Armenians were basically forced to leave the Empire, they did not choose to leave under their own decision.

Just because Armenians are happy with their lives now doesnt mean their forced relocation was right. Obviously they are happy because they dont live under nationalistic regimes anymore like they did under Talat Pasha. Armenians find economic prosperity wherever they are in any diaspora, it has been the same throughout our history. Look at all the accomplishments Armenians had OUTSIDE of Armenia. You cannot say forced relocation and exile as well as murder is justified just because 3 generations later the Armenians are happy with their situation. You're simply giving eye-candy to the rest of the forumers in order to justify genocide.

Sorry i did not give a source to the maps. It is in a book by Robert H. Hewson called Armenia: A Historical Atlas, which talks about Armenian history and gives about 230 maps about all kinds of information pertaining to the region. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/332284.html#about

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 15:51

I think the ArmenianSurvival is right about the Geonocide, since I am not blinded by any type of propoganda and i like to come to decisions myself isntead of adopting those of others. I am an Azerbaijani turk and so I can't really be accused of taqking sides. However as for the Karabakh war, in which ArmenianSruvival seemed proud of defeating my country I would like to quote an armenian veteran of that war (indirectly since i cant remember what exactly he said). Basically his words were that in the beginning the Russians were supporting both sides in order to cause as much disruption in the are as possible and weaken these newly independednt states, but after the Azerbaijanis stopped co-operating iwth the Russians they switched to fully supporting the Armenians. According to this veteran this was the turning point of the war as the Armenians were running out of supplies. He went on to thank god for this. The second reason comes from the 2 civi wars which occured in azerbaijan at the time of the war and in which about half the army was invovled greatly reducing tropps directly invcovled in the conflict and weakening their leadership as they had no clear orders because of the turmoil in government. So you cannot claim to have achieved anything great in 'regaining' 'your land'. After all if I was to rise and claim the ancient empires of the gokturks, the safavids etc. many people would consider me a little cranky. In general i think the whole war was a mistake, both sides committed atrocities, I've seen mainly those committed by Armenians, especially the one in the village of Khojaly but I'm sure our side did the same. Oh yeah forgot about the murder of Armenians in Sumgait and Baku, although some were protected by their neighbours. Goes to show war is terrible and pointless when talking could resolve these issues much more easily.

Diplomat you should accept that many Armenians did die and the Ottoman empire couldn't care less, since they had enough on their hands by then already, although your point about armenian rebellions is valid also.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 19:11

Oghuz, i appreciate your comments. Its good to talk to an open-minded Azeri on the topic, its hard for Armenians to even come into contact with Azeris nowadays unless it involves guns and warfare. Your comments seem pretty accurate, as there is atrocities on both sides in any war.

Here is what i have heard from written sources as well as first-hand accounts from when i spoke to soldiers that served in the war on my visit to Karabagh.

There was a conversation going on in the car. My friends dad asked the war veteran (conversation is translated from Armenian) "How did the Armenians become brave out of nowhere and win the war?"
The veteran replied, "Once the Armenians learned how to kill, the war was over."

Now, the Armenians in Karabagh like other Armenians are not the war-type, they are simply villagers. Fighting against the Azeri army, many people disregard the fact that the Armenian government did not get involved, it was the villagers that live in the Nagorno-Karabagh region that did the fighting. You are right in that Russia did back the Armenians in Karabagh, but Turkey also supplied an already-rich Azerbaijan. Plus, you have to remember that the Azeri army occupied all these lands, they were only defending. And, one has to know the geography of Karabagh to know how great of a feat it is to take some of these cities, as most of them are all up on mountains and is very hard to conquer if you are attacking.

We stayed in a city called Shushi, where in the church right across the street from my hotel was the Azeri barracks. They stocked their weapons in there and hid in it when the Armenians attacked, knowing the Armenians would never bomb or open fire on their own church. Shushi is a half-hour drive from the capital city of Stepanakert. The soldier that was speaking said that from Stepanakert they climbed into the sewer and crawled the whole half-hour drive just to reach the city of Shushi, as it is impossible to conquer the city by simply trying to over-power its defense, because it is so high up and protected by mountains. Not to mention the Armenians were outnumbered 2 to 1 and had far worse weapons. They crawled through the sewer, entered the city, and in a nutshell, took over. After they took Shushi, the war was just about over, because that city was the greatest stronghold that the Azeri troops had in all of Karabagh. I dont see how Russian intervention made a difference there, especially when you note that the Azeri Government is far richer than a bunch of villagers, including the help Azeris got from Turkey. The guns that the Armenians had were outdated, they had no planes, and only had around 5 tanks, all of which were stolen from Azeri forces, or else Armenians would have no tanks. The Azeris had tanks, planes, much better guns and had double the soldiers, as well as an obvious strategic advantage, seeing as they occupied the whole country. No matter how you look at it, its simply unbelievable at how we won the war. The final list of approximate casualties was 5,000 Armenians and 25,000 Azeris.

Now, dont get me wrong, as impossible and amazing as the victory was, it should not be forgotten that both Armenians and Azeris have suffered greatly from the war. Besides all the dead, there are many who have lost relatives, friends and limbs.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 02:37

Greeks of Anatolia,Istanbul,Imros and Tenedos were exchanged with a peace treaty, if you try to remember,Yiannis...

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 02:45

What you say about conversion to Islam is a pure lie as all Armenians and Greeks besides the ones emigrated wasnt forced to change identities. They could have done it on their own wish, but many of them are living happily and wealthily in Turkey...

For example,due to latest statistics, there is 1 Greek orthodox church PER 30 Greeks in Istanbul,while there is 1 mosque per 353 Moslems...Turkey is a country where people can freely practise the religion they would like.Like the Ottoman Empire, who didnt force any Ottoman citizens in Balkans to change their cultures, lifestyles, religions...That is why Balkan nations are still talking with their own language and that is the reason there are Serbs, Bulgars and Greeks instead of Ottoman people talking Turkish...Think of what the English had done to the ones they are controlling.They destroyed the culture, forced them to change language and religions..Ottomans were peaceful and didnt do that.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 03:04
Originally posted by Kapikulu

as all Armenians and Greeks besides the ones emigrated wasnt forced to change identities.

Quite truth Kapikulu. I didn't espress myself correctly. I meant that those that were left behind we forced by the circumstances to change religion, not by force.

I've been told that there're still a few Turkish people of Greek/Armenian/other origin that practice christianity in hidden. Mainly at Pontus and Cappadocia. Any more info on this?

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 06:00

Once a Prussian Field-Marshal said and I quote "A nation which can't defend itself, does not deserve to exist". I have to check my books to find out what the fellow's name was.

My point is, we are not living in a utopia. Nations, tribes and so on have been committing genocides for ages and it's just going to continue. So stop your bitching and have a nice day...

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 13:30
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Buddy, incase your not aware, the bulk of the Ottoman Army was comprised of Turks which died in the World War, the war they chose to join. There are a lot more Turks in the Ottoman Empire than there are Armenians, hence more numerical losses of lives. If you choose to look at the PERCENTAGE of people killed from each side, the Armenian side was substantially higher, seeing as there was only 2 million Armenians in the Ottoman Empire at the time. Armenians were basically forced to leave the Empire, they did not choose to leave under their own decision.

Just because Armenians are happy with their lives now doesnt mean their forced relocation was right. Obviously they are happy because they dont live under nationalistic regimes anymore like they did under Talat Pasha. Armenians find economic prosperity wherever they are in any diaspora, it has been the same throughout our history. Look at all the accomplishments Armenians had OUTSIDE of Armenia. You cannot say forced relocation and exile as well as murder is justified just because 3 generations later the Armenians are happy with their situation. You're simply giving eye-candy to the rest of the forumers in order to justify genocide.

Sorry i did not give a source to the maps. It is in a book by Robert H. Hewson called Armenia: A Historical Atlas, which talks about Armenian history and gives about 230 maps about all kinds of information pertaining to the region. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/332284.html#about

Dont put words in my mouth,pleasE!

that tactic will not work here for sure...

if you really have a serious argument,please take it to the court as offered by Gunduz Aktan earlier.And let the historians speak not politicians aftermath

Case is closed by en expert of the issue.

"There is no crime without evidence. A genocide cannot be written about in the absence of factual proof." 

Henry R. Huttenbach, professor and genocide scholar, "Bosnia's Killing Fields: The Memory war," The Genocide Forum, 1996, No. 9

Edited by TheDiplomat

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 13:31
lol? we may not live in an utopia but neither do we live in the stone age!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 22:53

Originally posted by Stillhawk

Once a Prussian Field-Marshal said and I quote "A nation which can't defend itself, does not deserve to exist". I have to check my books to find out what the fellow's name was.

My point is, we are not living in a utopia. Nations, tribes and so on have been committing genocides for ages and it's just going to continue. So stop your bitching and have a nice day...

I highly doubt you would be saying that if something like that happened to your people. Your culture has never been in danger of going extinct, there are 40 times more Turks on earth than Armenians. You're immature comments are not progressing your point in any way. Saying we dont live in utopia isnt an excuse to massacre a whole ethnicity.

And, if the Ottoman Empire wanted to go to war they could have officially waged one. Its pretty hard to defend yourself when your disarmed to 'supply your empire in a time of catastrophe' and then attacked by fully equipped soldiers while your asleep. By your post it seems you are admitting that a genocide did take place. Also, youre talking about defending your nation and not existing and you chose to quote a man whose nation doesnt even exist? Your about as sharp as a dull spoon.

Dont put words in my mouth,pleasE!

that tactic will not work here for sure...

if you really have a serious argument,please take it to the court as offered by Gunduz Aktan earlier.And let the historians speak not politicians aftermath

Case is closed by en expert of the issue.

"There is no crime without evidence. A genocide cannot be written about in the absence of factual proof."

Henry R. Huttenbach, professor and genocide scholar, "Bosnia's Killing Fields: The Memory war," The Genocide Forum, 1996, No. 9

You didnt even respond to the factual information i presented, you're simply quoting something which is already universally accepted, which is "A genocide cannot be written about in the absence of factual proof"...thanks for pointing that out Dr. Obvious. I have been presenting facts to you this whole time, while you post quotes which bring about no progression whatsoever to your argument.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 03:54

To ArmenianSurvival;

1.) What the hell do you know about my nations history? The history of the Turkish nation does not consist only of The Ottoman Empire. We go far back than that. Don't make comments on things you don't have any idea about.

2.) Well about the genocide, you got what you deserved. Appereantly we didn't do a good job since there are a lot of you going around bitching. By the way since it was a genocide why didn't we slaughter the armenians living in the west part of the empire. Bet you got an answer for that!

3.) Why does it matter if the Prussian Nation doesn't exist, does that mean you can't quote from historical figures whose nations cease to exist? That's the lamest thing I've ever heard. What the Field Marshal said stand true.

Last but not least, your pathetic insults amuses me so keep up the good work!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 23:23

1.) What the hell do you know about my nations history? The history of the Turkish nation does not consist only of The Ottoman Empire. We go far back than that. Don't make comments on things you don't have any idea about.

But, i do have an idea about your nations history.

2.) Well about the genocide, you got what you deserved. Appereantly we didn't do a good job since there are a lot of you going around bitching. By the way since it was a genocide why didn't we slaughter the armenians living in the west part of the empire. Bet you got an answer for that!

You didnt do a good job? Dont be so hard on yourself. The genocide started from the West and went Eastward. And you tell me not to talk about things i dont know about? You should consider reading once in a while. Thats my answer, Effendi.

3.) Why does it matter if the Prussian Nation doesn't exist, does that mean you can't quote from historical figures whose nations cease to exist? That's the lamest thing I've ever heard. What the Field Marshal said stand true.

Its only lame that you talked about the existence of a nation, and chose to quote someone whose nation doesnt exist. Thats very amusing to me.

Last but not least, your pathetic insults amuses me so keep up the good work!

On the contrary Effendi, it is i who am amused by your pathetic insults. You're only showing everyone in the forum what your level of intellect is.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 04:24

LATEST INFORMATION

i have learned that ''Political'' gorup remained outside of 4 type of gorups in the commitment of 1948.

because ,on the conditions of independence,autonomy people could commit crimes.it can still be a crime but never to be defined genocide as a result of MUTUAL ACTIONS.

Therefore,i dont need to  tell you that you should reswpect the rule of law.

You have to respect the rule of law  if you wish what you claim to be accepted. 

Edited by TheDiplomat

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 03:08

Originally posted by Kapikulu

as all Armenians and Greeks besides the ones emigrated wasnt forced to change identities.

Quite truth Kapikulu. I didn't espress myself correctly. I meant that those that were left behind we forced by the circumstances to change religion, not by force.

I've been told that there're still a few Turkish people of Greek/Armenian/other origin that practice christianity in hidden. Mainly at Pontus and Cappadocia. Any more info on this?

yES,actually there are some but their numbers are very very few...There are 1-2 churches in Cappadocia,though,but in my original hometown,Kayseri,just near Cappadocia,the Greek and Armenian originated people used to live,but their churches are abandoned right now and under protection,but some tourists still come visit those old abandoned but nicely done buildings...

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 04:03
So you live in Cappadocia? I've seen a very nice documentary-style film, in Greek TV a couple of months ago, about Cappadocia. Mostly about the churces but also the natural beauty of the region. I'm sure that if you preserve these churches and show the nature of the region, there will be many tourists interested to visit Cappadocia. I've seen that some Greeks and other tourists visit the place, but in an unorganized fashion, and the hotels are not of good quality.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 05:20

So you live in Cappadocia? I've seen a very nice documentary-style film, in Greek TV a couple of months ago, about Cappadocia. Mostly about the churces but also the natural beauty of the region. I'm sure that if you preserve these churches and show the nature of the region, there will be many tourists interested to visit Cappadocia. I've seen that some Greeks and other tourists visit the place, but in an unorganized fashion, and the hotels are not of good quality.

I actually live in Istanbul but my original hometown is 1 hour to there.There are quite a lot of churches preserved out there.The nature is very interesting and nice and quite a lot of tourists,especially Japanese visit there a lot. The hotels are actually quite good,many 5 star and 4 star hotels out there,but the cheap hotels may be not really good.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>