Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yugoslav wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yugoslav wars
    Posted: 24-May-2007 at 07:39
You lived through the entire war? Where?
Being there doesn't make you a neutral, on the contrary.
And I'm not lecturing you, I only highlight the fact that you people were not able to solve your problems without the cost of way too many lives.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 03:17
Originally posted by Cezar

Es_bih, you said to be born in YU. You are not living in the wreck of her, you are living in the US. It's easy for you to speak about what the "interests" of the inhabitants were, of the bad things that were happening during the communists, and of the good things that will happen to the new states once they manage to get to normality (which is unlikely, IMHO).

The only thing that matters I guess, is that instead of being able to avoid violence, the people of former YU fell prey to a bad leadership that eventually got them into a position of distrust from the other nations of Europe.
Shortly after the fall of Ceausescu there were some riots here (I mean Tg. Mures), confrontations between Magyars and Romanians. The purpose might have been to start an ethnic conflict. WE (Magyars and Romanians) didn't let it happen. Even more, after that there were never again violences (except in the politicians quarrels).
THEY (people of the YU) ... weren't able to talk to eachother instead of fighting/killing?!?!
Extremist groups are everywhere around the world and in Europe. Blood was spilled on a huge scale only in YU.

I lived through about the entire war. I think I know full well about the war, and what happened, I do not need an outside lecutre on it. I outlined a neutral stance on the whole Yugoslavian crisis.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 02:52

Es_bih, you said to be born in YU. You are not living in the wreck of her, you are living in the US. It's easy for you to speak about what the "interests" of the inhabitants were, of the bad things that were happening during the communists, and of the good things that will happen to the new states once they manage to get to normality (which is unlikely, IMHO).

The only thing that matters I guess, is that instead of being able to avoid violence, the people of former YU fell prey to a bad leadership that eventually got them into a position of distrust from the other nations of Europe.
Shortly after the fall of Ceausescu there were some riots here (I mean Tg. Mures), confrontations between Magyars and Romanians. The purpose might have been to start an ethnic conflict. WE (Magyars and Romanians) didn't let it happen. Even more, after that there were never again violences (except in the politicians quarrels).
THEY (people of the YU) ... weren't able to talk to eachother instead of fighting/killing?!?!
Extremist groups are everywhere around the world and in Europe. Blood was spilled on a huge scale only in YU.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 16:15
Originally posted by Cezar

Originally posted by konstantinius

I think the Bosnians received an unfair deal of retribution, especially since they were "sandwiched" between the Croatian and Serb interests. 

Don't mistake me for quoting you Konstantinius but there are somethings I would really like for our friends from former Yougoslavia to clarify:
  1. When speaking of "interests", of whatever side of the conflict, is it about what kind of interests? I mean, does a Serb from Bosnia has the same "interests" as a Serb from Croatia and, of course, a Serb from Serbia? Or does a Croat and a Serb/Bosniak, etc. living next door have so different "interests" that it becomes absolutely necessary to draw a border between them in order to stop them for killing eachother?
  2. Wasn't it better when Yougoslavia was a whole?
  3. What do you feel is better: to be a small/tiny/puny/insignificant/ ethnic or cultural monolithical entity or part of a respected multinational state? (Please don't consider this as being offensive. I just can't compare the respect towards Yougoslavia with the respect towards BH, for example. The question is merely intended to highlight the fact that to what Yougoslavia was the current array of states that "gained their independency" are almost insignificant, maybe except Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia which might be considered somehow significant. I mean Yougoslavia really had a word to say, what's left of her is just a loud noise. Sorry for being so rude)

1."Interests" are usually associated with territory based on ethnic make-up of said territory. The Serbs, i.e. tried to link up all Serb enclaves in Bosnia claiming in the process something like 45% of BH. This doesn't nesseccarily involve civilians who sometimes continue their everyday lives in peace with each other. But when one or the other paramilitary come through, evryone is forced to choose sides.
2. In my oppinion, absolutely yes.
3. I gravitate towards large, centralized states not ethnic "mosaics". I don't think you're being rude at all, you've brought up a valid point. I hope I'm proved wrong, but the Balkans in 20 years will be in a sad shape if this process of fragmentation continues.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by Penelope

Not to interupt the discussion at hand, but i would just like to ask if any of you were actually born in Yugoslavia, becuase i was born there, to Greek parents.

What part of Yugoslavia, penelope?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 04:58
You cannot know that whether there were people in the goverment who actually support the action of those paramilitaries. Of course the goverment was aware ,to a degree, of what was going on. Everybody was because it was their duty to do so.That's sth very usual in politics.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 00:09

I'm not accussing everyone, however, some members of government did support that motion

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 12:52
It was their desicion to be there,so why do you accuse the Hellenic goverment?

Edited by Spartakus - 19-May-2007 at 12:52
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by Spartakus

Originally posted by es_bih

The government wasn't exactly innocent either, however, yes in the videos there are Greek soldiers in Srebrenica.

You mean paramilitaries. By using the term "soldiers" you imply official involvement of the Hellenic/Greek army and State, which never happened.

The Serbian government was involved in the Bosnian war, although it was paramilitaries from Serbia that did its bidding, the Greek government had in depth knowledge of those paramilitaries, and kept quiet about it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 02:22
I was
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:57
Not to interupt the discussion at hand, but i would just like to ask if any of you were actually born in Yugoslavia, becuase i was born there, to Greek parents.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 13:28
Originally posted by es_bih

The government wasn't exactly innocent either, however, yes in the videos there are Greek soldiers in Srebrenica.

You mean paramilitaries. By using the term "soldiers" you imply official involvement of the Hellenic/Greek army and State, which never happened.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 02:40
1. - Interests that is a hard term to define when looking back at the whole conflict. Interests changed forms many times within one faction, were similar between some, and some different across the board. You had moderates who wanted peaceful breakup, their interest was independence, they lobbied the populace in referendums to vote for independence from Yugoslavia. Hardliners and nationalists wanted monolith super-states composed of the one ethnic group they represented. In BiH you had a mix of religious backgrounds that joined together (Bosniak/ Bosnian Muslim being the majority) to defend, and form the independent republic of Bosnia i Herzegovina. A Serb from Serbia did not have the same interests necessarily as one from Croatia, or BiH. Some did some wanted Serbia the way it is, some were under the sway of Milosevic, and yet others looked back to Tito. Same for the others, Bosniaks in Sandzak(Serbia) sympathized with the situation in BiH, but did not physically break off from Serbia proper. It is not absolutely necessary to draw any further borders, it is necessary to dissolve some of the fictional ones created post war  such as the Federation *Bosniak, Croat*  and RS *Serb*. Such entities within the country create more friction, not to mention are not well represented, Bosniaks alone are probably above half the population, and Croats about 17%, but yet co-jointly only have administrative local control of 51% of the country, Serbs 30% control half of the country, yet are about a third of the population. Such borders are slowly but surely being dissolved, in Croatia there need to be movements to integrate Serb exiles back into their homes, and into the social infrastructure, in Serbia the Kosovo situation needs to be solved. There were distinct groups facing each other in the series of wars, however, as well there were numerous continuous co-operations, example: the commander of the BiH armed forces during the war was a Bosnian Serb, etc. The lines were not as monolith.

2. - In some respects it was surely better in Yugoslavia, however, in some others it was not as good. Religious, and cultural identity were suppressed by communists who tried to re-create the six republics into a monolith cultural and ethnic entity under the umbrella term of Yugoslav. A Yugoslav is rather a linguistic, and ethnic term on a larger scale, however, history caused cultural, religious, etc differences between the various ethnic groups. Furthermore, the status of Yugoslavia was higher than that of the various republics for now anyway. Stability is slowly crawling back to the region, the economic infrastructure is being rebuilt, and soon the governments of the various republics will work together on some economic agreements, which would only make sense, and be crucial for them to succeed in post-Cold War Europe.

3. - I liked Yugoslavia, I am a bit nostalgic, however, you have to live in reality to have any credible chance at evolution. The republics are not doomed to economic failure, they are viable states, instability is the norm in upstart states, especially with the war that devastated infrastructure, destroyed many lives, and displaced millions. It is kind of insulting for you to call any one of them puny, sure they are less in power than Yugoslavia, but since when is size of a country the only determinant of power. Switzerland, the Netherlands, and Belgium are not large states either, however, they are successful viable states. All of them have natural resources, and industry, and ingenuity, the school systems have a tradition of excellence, Yugoslavia had been a host to many foreign students as well. Once stability is sufficient, and the economy is repaired fully the four main of Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, and BiH should be rather prosperous small states. Nostalgia is nice, it brings you back to some time in history when things were alright, however, to just think back and say I liked it better when we were together is not the solution either. Some sort of economic alliance, or perhaps even a semi political one could happen in the near future, but not while people keep thinking back to the past, remember, that whenever you think back you re-create it to soothe your own needs, which may or may not be the same as someone elses version of the past.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 06:29
Originally posted by konstantinius

I think the Bosnians received an unfair deal of retribution, especially since they were "sandwiched" between the Croatian and Serb interests. 

Don't mistake me for quoting you Konstantinius but there are somethings I would really like for our friends from former Yougoslavia to clarify:
  1. When speaking of "interests", of whatever side of the conflict, is it about what kind of interests? I mean, does a Serb from Bosnia has the same "interests" as a Serb from Croatia and, of course, a Serb from Serbia? Or does a Croat and a Serb/Bosniak, etc. living next door have so different "interests" that it becomes absolutely necessary to draw a border between them in order to stop them for killing eachother?
  2. Wasn't it better when Yougoslavia was a whole?
  3. What do you feel is better: to be a small/tiny/puny/insignificant/ ethnic or cultural monolithical entity or part of a respected multinational state? (Please don't consider this as being offensive. I just can't compare the respect towards Yougoslavia with the respect towards BH, for example. The question is merely intended to highlight the fact that to what Yougoslavia was the current array of states that "gained their independency" are almost insignificant, maybe except Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia which might be considered somehow significant. I mean Yougoslavia really had a word to say, what's left of her is just a loud noise. Sorry for being so rude)
Ironduke View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ironduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by Yugoslav

What do you PERSONALLY think of the wars that happened in Croatia and Bosnia (unavoidable, stupid, whatsa?) 

Of course they were avoidable.  There are plenty of examples of serious historical grievances not being elevated into armed conflict, such as those between Poland and the Ukraine, as well as Hungarian irredentism.
Admin of the World Affairs Board
Geopolitical, Military, & Defense Discussion
351,000 posts - 4,100 members
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 14:33
Between half, and just over half of the country is Muslim, or Bosniak, with about thirty percent Serb/Orthodox, and the rest Croat/Catholic, and a small minority of Bosnian Jews, protestant, etc...

General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 14:11
Thanks for the clarification, obviously I don't have my facts right. In the case of BH, there are many Muslims there, as well as in Kosovo. I think the Bosnians received an unfair deal of retribution, especially since they were "sandwiched" between the Croatian and Serb interests. Sad really, since traditionally Balkan Muslims are not fundamendalists and have lived in peace with their neighbors.    
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 10:56
Well, it's about Yugoslav wars, isn't it? Who are the Muslims in the case of
Croatia vs Serbia?
Or aren't there any Christian Albanians in Kosovo?
Is the conflict based on ethnicity or on religion? From what I've seen and read it looks like the former.
Romania vs Hungary is certainly not about religion, yet Romanians are mostly Orthodox while Magyars are Catholics (or some reformate sect of Catholic origin). Also it's not about Maramures and Bucovina (Northern Bucovina is in Ucraine and Maramures is in northern Romania, no border with Hungary) since most of the magyars live in central Transylvania. Harghita and Covasna can be considered a sort of enclave, if you wish.
The question, I think, it's not just about the nationality, beliefs or the politicians. There's got to be something wrong with a multinational state, Yougoslavia, that suddenly turns into a battleground. During the Cold War era we were envying our south west neighbours. Many people from Romania went to work there. Then, all of a sudden people who have been living together for decades started killing eachother. They fell prey to negative propaganda, they never really fought against it? What made it possible for mass murderers to became leaders? And now it looks like it's still going on. What do people out there really want?
Also, why are they blaming the UN, EU or whatever forces for not being able to act against crimes/riots/genocides? How can they espect a foreign soldier to understand what's going on? I know a guy that have been there and he  said that he would have liked more to be in Bagdad, since things are far more simple there than in former YU.
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 18:37
Or an example of what can happen when pre-existing deep religious and national divides resurface during times of crisis. The situation in my oppinion also provides a good study case about  the evils of extreme nationalism; unfortunately some in the wider balkan area still retain much of that coupled with a healthy dose of militarism and shody politics. I will reiterate here my controversial oppinion that one of the cornerstones for stability in the Balkans is the ethnic homogeneity of each of the member states; this, in the name of the stability to follow, should be enforced if neccessary through mandatory population exchanges (outdated option perhaps and totaly against EU--German/USA plans for the area) that will ultimately eliminate ethnic minorities within other states' borders. Tough love but we're seing the alternative in the present tenuous situation in the Balkans which is bound only to be made worst by the addition of ethnically doubious and unsastainable entites such as Kosovo and Bulgarian/Albanian "Macedonia".   

A Romanian vs. a Hungarian is devoid of the passion involved in Christian vs. Muslim, a very different type of conflict. The argument about Maramures and Bucovina is strictly over territory between two otherwise friendly and similar(?) cultures that also share a common religion (Catholicism). Christian vs. Muslim is a conflict of ideologies and  belief systems, as well as established historical animosity that involves an extensive trail  of blood shed on all sides. This is not to say that Christian/Muslim cannot live peacefully in trading coexistence though which both profit (bullion usually burries the hatchet). As a matter of fact, Christians and Muslims have lived longer together than they have fought against each other. But during times of crisis the conflict is likely to reach explosive proportions faster and last longer than any other (in the Balkans).    

Edited by konstantinius - 13-May-2007 at 18:40
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 16:28
I can't help it: why were/are you fighting/killing eachother?
I mean, even now, I see no reason to start a genocide only because some think than you are different, Or vice verse. C'mon people get a look down here, we've been so on bad ways with the magyars (well, according to some people) that we never even managed to make a whole fuzz of it. What are those YU wars supposed to be? An example of what should people not turn into?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>