Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Character discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Character discussion
    Posted: 12-May-2005 at 13:59
He was a lover of Catherine the Great and her support made him the king of Poland and Lithuania. For sure he was intelligent and enlighted altough very weak. He was use to spent a lot of time with painters, writers, poets. On the political scene he wanted to strenghten Poland and to free it from russian influence. So he suported the reforms of the goverment and army and helped to enact the consitution of 3rd may in 1791. So the picture shows the king with consitutution in his hand being carried by the marshal of parliament and the people of Warsaw, after it was passed by parliament. But soon conservative oposition revolted, sponsored by Russia and Prussia. Catherine forced king to change the front so he betrayed constitution and joined the enemies. Finally abdicated.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 08:22
Well, I figured it out by the late 18th century garments. Not so aware of its role in polish history. Wasn't he sort of a russian puppet, although a kind of reformist?

Edited by Frederick Roger
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 17:09

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Is it King Stanislaw August?

excellent, im surprised that someone from Portugal recognised him so fast. Congratulations! Stanislaw August Poniatowski, the last king of Poland, a character completelly different than Richelieu, much weaker man.

Edited by Mosquito
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 17:00
Is it King Stanislaw August?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 16:10

Ok, here is my proposition for character discussion. I know it wont be easy for you. Maybe too difficult as history of my country is not as well known as french history. Do you know  the man on the picture? (Poles please dont answer it). I mean the one carried by people with papers in his hand.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 20:19

giani:

Richelieu was a formidable intellect and servant of the Crown, but also a great gambler.  The intervention in Italy in 1629 against Habsburg moves in Mantua, and the declaration of war against Spain in 1635 were risky adventures as the French army was both poorly prepared and supplied, and also only experienced against Huguenot fortifications and against an English force badly handled off La Rochelle.

In order to have a substantial military force that had experience in the field, France hired the services of Duke Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar from the Swedish service in 1635.  Richelieu knew of the problems of the French armies, and gambled that this experienced force would be able to cover for the inexperience of the French and for the egos of the Marechals of France who specialized in quaralling with each other over precedence and matters of honor.  Noble rebellions also caused problems such as the affair of Cinq Mars in the 1630s.  (The french have always been the French.)   

Anyway, the French army was not really reformed until after the first two wars under Louis XIV...the "War of Devolution" in the late 1660s, and the Dutch War of 1672.  Richelieu was undoubtedly a great statesman, but Cardinal Mazarini had more impact on the rise of France after Richelieu's death in 1642.  Still, his reputation is deserved....a realistic politician who combined the legitimacy of Church and King, and who did "what had to be done" to preserve and empower France. 

He was a gambler, but some people are lucky, and sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good.

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 04:41

I support the opinion that he was a "great statesman" responsible for the stop of the conflicts between catholics and protestants, having a great influence in centralizing the rule of the monarch, and reorganizing the army. His diplomatic ability aided him on several occasions during the 30 year war and still many historians believe that his reorganization of the French army actually brought the end to the Spanish supremacy in Europe.

In my opinion, he is the prototype of a modern day politician who'd use every means to finalize his goals. Actually his work very much contributed to the rising of France among the greatest powers in the world.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 09:24
This picture is really amazing.

The character himself was mercyless, but he took a great part in making France what is it now.
Vae victis!
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 20:08

Richelieu at the break water of La Rochelle.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2005 at 18:28
One must always recall that Richelieu was supposed to become a soldier, having gone through training at the Academy, but the sudden death of his father, forced him to move to the clergy for economic reasons. 
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 13:34

Richelieu at the siege of La Rochelle. By Henri Motte (1881).

This was the text under the picture in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RichelieuRochelle.jpg

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 11:56
Maybe we should distinguish between two kind of "great statesmen." There are the ones who are "great" because they are excellent, effective leaders for their countries, regardless of the ethics of their decisions.

Then we have the ones that are "great" because of how good the quality of life and liberty was under their power.

From what I hear, Richelieu was a "great statesman" under the first category.

This is an amazing painting of Richelieu.

Here we have Richelieu standing out from the regular soldiers and religious men. He is a hands-on leader that gets as close as possible to the action. Even though we may think that he is safe behind the battlefront and the battle works, he is still in danger: the spear closest to his body has been damaged by a cannon ball.

He looks deep in thought, as if he is absorbing and analyzing the battle. In contrast, the soldier to the left seems to be explaining the battle to the monks.

I like the detail of the monk holding his cardinal hat, hinting that the Church is Richelieus servant. For him, it was.

Do you know when the painting was done and who was the painter? It will explain a lot. Thanks for sharing this picture Frederick Roger.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2005 at 10:28

Well that is true Conquistador...

Richelieu, well the best minister, statesman, cardinal and character France met in many years before and after.. his politics could be discussed but this is him.

The picture should be stated as Cardinal Richelieu at The Siege of La Rochelle in 1629 and I have seen it in wikipedia...

Conquistador View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Conquistador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 06:16

he is one of those people (I have many of these) who I would have hated to liv eunder but can admire from a distance.

That is so true. Another one of mine is Peter the Great. He pushed Russia forward, but I still wouldn't want to live there.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:19
he is one of those people (I have many of these) who I would have hated to liv eunder but can admire from a distance.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 13:46
He looks like real prince of the church and god of war in one. I guess it was his intention to look this way on the pictures.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 13:03
he was just like Bismarck...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 04:41

I believe it to be a sea battle during the Siege of La Rochelle (1627-1628).

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 21:35
what is that painting of?
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 20:38
Originally posted by Genghis

I would say it was because he was ruthless that he was a great statesman.

Much like Bismark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>