Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Artificial Island, good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artificial Island, good or bad?
    Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by elenos

Of course we could internationally agree at stopping at a certain number of islands being built. (Ha, ha, ha!)  And the UN would be effective in making sure such a thing would never happen. (Is this really a serious discussion of reality?)

LOL 

Originally posted by elenos

One may have heard of Atlantis. (Who in this universe hasnt?)  A whopping great island that sat in the middle of Atlantic Ocean and look at the advances they made. (Didnt they destroy themselves in the end?) Now the existence of Atlantis is going too far for either side of my split personality for it would sit right on top of the Atlantic trench, the major underwater artery of global weather conditions since time began. Any major blockage to this trench would cause this planet to cook for the unimpeded flow of cold water between the polar icecaps is essential for keeping world temperatures in balance. 

Interesting point. How secure is artifical island, especially in the Ring of Fire? (Reason why Japan suffer earthquake so much)... could the island sink easily like Atlantis due to earthquake?

Join us.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 02:07
Hello pekau, greetings. I have no idea of how secure an artificially built island would be. It seems it would sink in earthquake prone places, but one must take into account what modern technology can do. I understand that in Japan they have for a long time been extending their coastline by dumping recycled waste into shallow bays and so far without disaster. 

Of course I (and most others) would love to see proof of the existence of an Atlantis, a lost civilization that ruled the world way back in the mists of time, but certain global realities need to be taken into consideration. I favor the island of Thera as a possible location, but then the whole of the Mediterranean is a geologically unstable area. There are recorded instances of islands that rise and fall.
elenos
Explorador View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Explorador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 15:20
In some places it's been proved that just building near the coastline, on land, provokes a huge damage to the environment. So building on the sea can't be good. If a good impact study is developed maybe damages can be minimized, but it's never going to be good.

Edited by Explorador - 01-Jul-2007 at 14:09
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 16:22
I imagine artificial islands are about as good for the environment of the sea as urban sprawl is for the land.

You're just utterly destroying a big chunk of the wilderness, of course it is bad for the environment. Picture a 10 square mile bushlot. Now picture someone builds a 10 square mile concrete block, a few hundred feet high, there. Was it good for the bushlot?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 17:30
An earthquake could sink an island if it caused vertical movement along a fault. The island would have to be small and be right on top of that fault though i'd reckon.

Of course, sinking can also happen very slowly, in theory i think if the Pacific plate stopped subducting under the Eurasian plate, then the pressure that created the mountains just before the sunduction zone, that effectivly make Japan, would go away and over time it would revert to an equilibrium.

I have created a divice that can end this subduction, and i shall use it unless the Japanese government pays me 10 million Yen!

Edited by Cywr - 08-Jul-2007 at 17:36
Arrrgh!!"
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 08:26
O, spare us great master of evil! But shouldn't that be ten billion yen?
elenos
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 12:48

Cywr, 10 million yen isn't a huge sum of money. It's only about 82,000 dollars in US.Wink

Join us.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 15:16
Well yeah, havn't you seen the Austin Powers movies Wink
Arrrgh!!"
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 20:02
Yeah baby, shagadelic! And where are you going to live after using your death ray to alter the face of the planet?
elenos
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 08:00
Shangra La, where i shall spent my ten million yen on booze and computer games, oh, and dancing girls, and maybe some sharks.
Arrrgh!!"
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 09:31
Oh no! Not the pool of radar guided man eating sharks!
elenos
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 10:38
Artifical Islands?

Almost every city in Europe, with either access to the seas or located alongside of rivers, was converted into aritifical islands at one time or another as a defensive measure. France in general, and Paris in particular, are both called "Isle(s)!" Any where canals were dug to make a moat, there was created an island! Examples probably number in the thousands or tens of thousands world wide?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12