Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Babylonians had wrist watches!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Babylonians had wrist watches!
    Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 10:49

source
The Babylonians started the practice of dividing day and night into 12 parts apiece, giving us the familiar 24-hour day. They also had a sexagesimal fascination that begat 60-minute hours and 60-second minutes, albeit much later when technology permitted such fine divisions. As with most such decisions, base-60 must have made sense at the time.
The French tried and failed to rationalize timekeeping by introducing decimal time in the late 1700s, with three 10-day decades per month, two 10-hour sections per day, 100 minutes per hour, and 100 seconds per minute. Not even the Revolution could change the 12-month year and, after about 13 years of dogged effort, France rejoined the rest of the world with Babylonian standard timekeeping.

I think Babylonians were really very advanced in this subject, is it possibe that they had wrist watches?!!

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 11:19

Yes - absolutely - and they traded their technology with the Mediterranean basin so that they could have laptops, and cell phones as well:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=975& PN=2

With research like this going on here, Hancock, Bauval, Menzies and Von Daniken better move over - here come Cyrus and vagabond.   We  just need to research whether they used the Atlantean crystal technology or the Alien Solar Energy Pulses?  BTW - Ladies - is that a designer outfit or of the rack? Is the handbag a genuine Gucci or a fake?

Cyrus - I knew how weird my mind was - but

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 19:11

vagabond, that is definitely a designer outfit - I'm sure I saw it on the runways of Christian Lacroix and I'm willing to bet that's a real Gucci. 

Its amazing at how often we 'invent' the same things over and over.....and how those who came before us have influenced us even today.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 03:36

Babylonians were a great civilization! And a very intriguing one as well. It certainly was a cradle to mankind. From the mythical Babel Tower to the Suspended Gardens, the Amurabi Code and the advancements in astronomy and astrology. I always had a crush on ancient civilizations, especially those who have contributed with knowledge to mankind.

I still regret that nowadays its Iraq and not the glorious Babylon, but hey, I'm not in charge.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 03:39
Btw, I fancy more the name Persia than Iran, but the iranians never called their country Persia, right Cyrus? I think it's a greek name.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 11:21

DO YOU REALLY THINK BABYLONIANS HAD CELL PHONES AND LAP TOPS? I certainly can understand the rationale of wrist watches, maybe!

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 13:10
obviously the finer points of sarcasm are lost on you, dufus...
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 13:18

Very interesting topic as usual from you Cyrus,I think maybe but no one can precisely know that.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:15

Originally posted by Infidel

Btw, I fancy more the name Persia than Iran, but the iranians never called their country Persia, right Cyrus? I think it's a greek name.

So what?It is more Imperial and Aristocratic than Iran...... 

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:31
Where do you get the wristwatches from? I don't see them anywhere? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 16:40
Look at it's hand carefully.Near the rist.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 17:11
Ok it's a joke -  

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 18:05

I believe that those things on the wrist might be either large jewels or sundials.  I lean more twords large jewels because he is wearing it on both wrists so that kinda makes no sense for a advanced people to waist there resources on two watches or sundials.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 07:40
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

I believe that those things on the wrist might be either large jewels or sundials.  I lean more twords large jewels because he is wearing it on both wrists so that kinda makes no sense for a advanced people to waist there resources on two watches or sundials.

Good point, I think its a sundial (first mention it may be a sundial).  Notice the thing on his other wrist is shaped differently, so thats likely a bracelet. 

marjorie100 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote marjorie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 09:44
The thread is quite old, but very interesting for me. Thanks for letting me know about other good stuff!
 Post Reply Post Reply