Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Concerning a grand history encyclopedia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerning a grand history encyclopedia
    Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:55
I have been thinking about this for some time.... but I myself could not finish it due to the lack of manpower and time consuming...

But I was thinking if we could make our history enecylopedia. For instance, the enclyclopedia would be divided by the timeline. (Ex. Section A would be between 0 - 500 A.D.) and member A will post reliable summarized notes about China during this time and member B will be posting summarized notes about Roman and so on...

I understand that it would be very time consuming, but it won't be too bad.... especially when no one would badger about the due date. Plus, we have plenty of manpower... and some of the smart ones could check the accuracy of the posted works so that our work wouldn't turn out to be another wikipedia crisis.

What do you think?

Join us.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:09
Hmmmm

Before constructing stuff too big for our shoulders maybe we should try to figure how to make this Academy work. Problem #1: concidering that in a short amount of time we will have plenty of posts but that the whole point of the Academy is to be a reference, how do we prevent the earlier posts to be burried under the new ones and how do we separate the posts about the gender condition in Athen and cattle raiding in the Argentinian pampa in the early 20th century? We need a sort of index. What form should this (these?) index take?
I am a free donkey!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hmmmm

Before constructing stuff too big for our shoulders maybe we should try to figure how to make this Academy work. Problem #1: concidering that in a short amount of time we will have plenty of posts but that the whole point of the Academy is to be a reference, how do we prevent the earlier posts to be burried under the new ones and how do we separate the posts about the gender condition in Athen and cattle raiding in the Argentinian pampa in the early 20th century? We need a sort of index. What form should this (these?) index take?

I think there are sufficient encyclopaedic resources available for all of us.  The concept of discussion (hopefully predicated on actual, reliable sources) would probably be best for us as a vehicle for an exchange of intelligence and opinion. 

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 21:57
Well, I think that we should start by creating basic documents that give the rudiments on how to conduct research. And we obviously need a page with resources, mainly online one. I know that the university of Berkeley has an excellent library, but most of us cannot get there to do research in it.

Nice to hear from you again, Pike.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 18:23
in my opinion, the only bad in wikipedia is that hasn't the depth that i'd desire. I don't think that is not reliable, just doesn't have deep search. Pekau, i believe that you are asking a kind of "mission impossible"... I think that a mini percent of members are in able to gather and right with scientific accuracy about a historical subject.
I suppose that this effort will be in crisis from the very first momentCry...
But it maybe worths a tryThumbs%20Up...

Post Reply Post Reply