Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek democracy: the Basis for Western

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek democracy: the Basis for Western
    Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 21:49
Adopted cradle? Thats a confusing statement.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 05:49
Zagros is right, demos= people, krati=rule. And with people the greeks in their city states meant the citizens, their OWN people. So what we have is a citizen influence which wasn't very common at the time, at least not among civilised and urban societies where discipline was needed to keep their enormous organisations together. The more important thing about the ancient democracies of greece however was the divison of power which has been inherited down and kept in a good fashion throughout western history. These states were not AUTOCRATIC, that is the important value we've inherited from them, we have secular functions that CONTROL the ruling power coming from the bases of the population. Their societies were not EGALITARIAN in any way, that didn't occur until 1789.
And who are we to say that the ancient hellenes didn't have TRUE democracy? After all, they invented the word.....maybe we should come up a  definition of our own.  How about Egalitariocracy?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 05:56
 Correcting myself " Zagros is right" I meant SPARTAKUS is right. I disagree with the viewpoint Zagros seems to have, though I understand and respect his basic concern about not trying to glorify a slave-based society.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 06:39
It seems to me that everyone is kind of missing the point, except EDWYN, which has basically nought to do with context but simply that if what we have today is an inheritance from Greek democracy then we also have inherited the dark side, the slavery... therefore it is nothing to boast about as morally superlative.

Freedom and justice for the few.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 06:47
I also believe that this claim of inheritance is false, it has just been a way for Western historians over the centuries to fill the void in their civilisation of any meaningful civilised ancient history - just another, more subtle, volume of the Nordic Aryan theory which, rather than creating complete fairy tails spins historical facts.

So what is so similar about the modern West and ancient Rome and Greece, a plagiarised code of law, copy cat architecture?  In fact, Greco Roman cultures were more akin to what we see in the Med and Middle East.  For example, it is much easier for someone from Iran to relate to a Greek on a cultural level than it is for soemone from England or Germany - I have experienced it and seen how the English culture clashes with Med culture and how they, in general, look down on and disrespect it.

Edited by Zagros - 16-Mar-2007 at 06:49
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 07:17
Originally posted by Zagros

I also believe that this claim of inheritance is false, it has just been a way for Western historians over the centuries to fill the void in their civilisation of any meaningful civilised ancient history - just another, more subtle, volume of the Nordic Aryan theory which, rather than creating complete fairy tails spins historical facts.

The slavery system was a predemocratic system. Democracy never affected the slaves. By using the word inheritance, it doesn't mean you have an exact copy of the subject. You get some elements and develop your own unique ones or override the previous.

It is not just democracy that was inherited but other things as well. Just take a look at Aristoteles writtings. The way he analyzes things...We still use his standards to document science. The rationalism, the value of education. There are many smaller parts that alltogether create the greater picture of the western world.

For example, it is much easier for someone from Iran to relate to a Greek on a cultural level than it is for soemone from England or Germany - I have experienced it and seen how the English culture clashes with Med culture and how they, in general, look down on and disrespect it.

Greece is in the middle of Iran and England. Just because some bad mentality of some people you can't say English culture clashes with Med culture. Two friends of mine come from Brittain (1 English and 1 Welsh). None of them want to exchange their current life in Greece to their previous life in Brittain. They respect Greece more than Greeks in many situations. There you have the opposite example.

I usually tend to think of a group of young Greeks sitting on a table with 1) a group of other westerners, 2) a group of easterners.  I have witnessed both situations and the switch between the two groups is very easy. You could refer to the culture as a chameleon.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 07:20
Originally posted by EDWYN

And who are we to say that the ancient hellenes didn't have TRUE democracy? After all, they invented the word.....maybe we should come up a  definition of our own.  How about Egalitariocracy?

Vldigt bra sagt!
Well said! Clap

You can't redefine a definition that is already defined.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Adopted cradle? Thats a confusing statement.

In what way is it confusing? The Western states, and therefore societies simply adopted the values of Ancient Greece(mostly Athens) to themselves in past.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 08:43
i do agree with Zagros's (edit: and kapikulu's ^) point on inheritance. I dont think the west inherited anything from Greece, they adopted and adapted it and called it their own. i don't see a linear progression from Greek to western. Most of the Greek writings/ideas were lost in the west and only re-introduced from the Muslims because they appreciated and preserved the greek learning earlier on.

We do have more of an affinity to other Med's and to our east (like Iranians) rather than the northern Europeans. Just because they use our concepts and learn our history doesn't make them like us. The definitions of West vs East is wrong and does nothing for the distinct Mediterranean region + any related adjacent regions in Africa and M/E.

Well, yea... Why else did I make this thread? 

Citizens = Westerners
non-Citizens/slaves = everyone else.

= Go out of line and you're screwed

I think however this comparison of the greek slave = everyone else is misguided when it is related to democracy. That would be best undertsood in terms of an economic rather than political theory. I prefer to use Marxist critique on history to understand that evolution, if it can be argued. Either way such servitude did not originate from the Greeks in particular, but from human condition.

Edited by Leonidas - 16-Mar-2007 at 08:48
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 09:41
The Greek city states were sustained by a slave economy were they not?  Western living standards are maintained by what?  Cheap labour and materials in "developing" countries.  The political agenda of the West is to maintain the status quo so far as possible in order to sustain its extravagance and keep its own populations numbed by crap TV, video games and other inane forms of entertainment.  Should prices rise and lives get somewhat uncomorftable then the attention of the masses will turn to their rulers/elites and their extravagant living - there's the connection between politcal and economic.

IMO democracy is an illusion, imagine the world as one, it is like a giant feudalism with aristocrats and peasants.  The aristocrats fearing the potential power of the peasant masses. 
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 09:50

The Greek city states were sustained by a slave economy were they not?

No.  Greeks were among the first to have economies almost entirely based on trade.
Slave labour existed in some city-states, like it did in the rest of the ancient world.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 09:53
Greece is in the middle of Iran and England. Just because some bad mentality of some people you can't say English culture clashes with Med culture. Two friends of mine come from Brittain (1 English and 1 Welsh).

I stated in general. Go to (Ch/)Kavos, Ionapa etc and you'll see what I mean.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 10:08
I think we flert wrongly with the words...

I believe that Zagros means that the west did not copy/clone the greeks like the romans did in a certain degree.

The inheritance is however a correct word to use.

What is inheritance?

-
hereditary succession to a title or property that which is inherited;
- any attribute or immaterial possession that is inherited from ancestors;
- a way to form new instances of something using terms that have already been definedModern democracy is a derived form, that took over attributes and behaviour of the pre-existing system, which is referred as a basic democratic system or an ancestor to the current democratic system.

So what did we do? We took the basis of democracy and changed its attributes while time passed. We added more attributes and formed it in a way it suits the society of today.

On the other side...Haven't the west copied the rationalism of the Greek philosophers? How do you people debate in this forum? What are the rules of this community we belong to?

Edited by Flipper - 16-Mar-2007 at 10:22

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 10:24
In the same way Zagros we can speak about Algebra. Didn't we inherit that knowledge from your people? We evolved it however. We took its attributes and added new ones. During the history of Algebra we found new, more effective ways and dropped the legacies. 

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 10:30

The Greek city states were sustained by a slave economy were they not?  Western living standards are maintained by what?  Cheap labour and materials in "developing" countries.  The political agenda of the West is to maintain the status quo so far as possible in order to sustain its extravagance and keep its own populations numbed by crap TV, video games and other inane forms of entertainment.
i understand the parallels, though your confusing  democracy with imperialism-capitalism. The two are not indivisibly linked.

Capitalism comes out of western Europe's industrialization and from more recent concepts that have nothing directly to do with Greece. Democracy was conceived by the Athenians for its citizens and this concept was adopted by the west. The only link is the west but not concepts themselves.

western imperialism is just another imperialism( + capitalism), but they all extend power and trade, and create winners and losers.

Edit: imperialism and democracy are ethically opposed.

Edited by Leonidas - 16-Mar-2007 at 10:46
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 10:32

I stated in general. Go to (Ch/)Kavos, Ionapa etc and you'll see what I mean.

I know what you mean. And the same happens from the other side. But is it correct to depict a Cretans or a Cypriots opinion of Brittish youngsters that get drunk and do things with a whole nation?

These examples are too extreme because of the situation in those places. Terrible things happen there e.g 2 drunk friends drop their friend in a trashbin and then the trash collecting vehicle mauled the guy who was unconscious.

Such incidents shock and create strange reactions. We can't use them as a refference to Greek - Brittish views.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 13:14
Greeks had a form of government which suited them and which bought them sucess.

Is this form of governance the same as the governance of Greece today? ofcourse not.

Today's system of governance is more similar to say the Saxons and other groups termed "Barbarians". This system was more democratic because, the rulers would live among the masses, they would be elected by the people they represent, the general public had more rights and so on.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 13:16
Originally posted by Hellios

Brother Zagros, we can debate ironies between slave labour in the ancient world and Greek direct democracy, but trying to draw a parallel with present-day "democracies" is met with the fact that that present-day so called "democracies" are not direct democracies at all.

A main factor in this is the size. It would be much harder if not impossible to have direct democracy in an empire or bigger state. City-states by nature are a closer environment.

Zagros- By the same line of reasoning you could argue that Federalism and indirect slavery through taxation in most western societies is a parallel to the ancient Iranian society

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 13:32
Originally posted by Miller

[QUOTE=Hellios]

A main factor in this is the size. It would be much harder if not impossible to have direct democracy in an empire or bigger state. City-states by nature are a closer environment.

I agree 100%. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it before.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by Bulldog

Today's system of governance is more similar to say the Saxons and other groups termed "Barbarians".

Today's so called democracies are Representative democracies, closer to the Roman version of Athenian Direct democracy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>