Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in USA! Shame on American movie: 300

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism in USA! Shame on American movie: 300
    Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 13:21

ATHENS, Greece Greek critics have blasted 300, a Hollywood recreation of the 480 BC Battle of Thermopylae, where King Leonidas of Sparta held back a massive Persian military invasion, leading to its eventual defeat.

The movie an adaptation of artist Frank Millers graphic novel opens in Greece today and will show at 70 screens in greater Athens.

The popular Athinorama magazine described the film as a "bloodlust videogame."

Daily Ta Nea newspaper gave Zack Snyders 300 zero out of 10, with critic Dimitris Danikas claiming the film even carried a message about the U.S. war on terror.

"By ancient Persia, they refer to modern Iran whose soldiers are portrayed as bloodthirsty, underdeveloped zombies," he wrote. "They are stroking racist instincts in Europe and America."

Robby Eksiel at the daily Ethnos said moviegoers would be dazzled by the "digital action" but irritated by the "pompous interpretations and one-dimensional characters."

Greeces critics were similarly scathing about other recent movies depicting ancient battles, including Wolfgang Petersens Troy and Oliver Stones Alexander in 2004.

Its a pattern that disappointed Panayiotis Timoyiannakis, the lone voice of support among Greek critics for 300

"This is not a university lecture, its a movie," he wrote in the daily Eleftheros Typos. "Its an adaptation of a comic to the big screen, and thats only how it should be judged . . . When seen this way, it gets high marks."

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 13:25
More info about 300: http://www.300themovie.info Wink

300%20the%20movie

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 13:30
I agree with Timoyiannakis .It's an action movie based on a comic book.it depicts a mythological battle with historical background.It is not a historical movie,it was never meant to be a historical movie.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 13:37
"This is not a university lecture, its a movie," he wrote in the daily Eleftheros Typos. "Its an adaptation of a comic to the big screen, and thats only how it should be judged . . . When seen this way, it gets high marks."

That is the most reasonable thing I've heard anyone say about history themed movies lately. So many of my friends were outraged by the historical inaccuracies in Alexander, and the inclusion of coins and such in Troy. All along, I kept trying to remind them that these things are just supposed to be movies. As long as they don't have an overt agenda, I don't mind it when they are a bit off. If people start citing them as history, then we have a problem. LOL

-Akolouthos
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:14
You would be right but if you called this movie "Warcraft" and that was a battle between Humans and Orcs, but those are called Persians and that monstrosity king is the Great king Xerxes!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:23
The problem that many of us are easily brainwashed by the simple media. Many of us could point out that it has historical inaccuracy, but just enjoy that it has some good action clips. But for much of the population are easily fooled. The movie itself is not evil. We in general just can't handle it. We can't just say that the director's evil. Good intentions often pave the way to hell...

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:26
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

You would be right but if you called this movie "Warcraft" and that was a battle between Humans and Orcs, but those are called Persians and that monstrosity king is the Great king Xerxes!

You're right.  The comic book series mixed in politics and so does the film, too much.

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:26
At last  criticism depend from the background of the critic ,Danikas is a leftist and Timoyiannakis is a commercial (no clear political background)critic.Well in the next days I m gonna watch this film and  I m gonna tell you my own opinion if i manage it because all the tickets are sold out!!! 

Edited by Antioxos - 10-Mar-2007 at 14:27

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:29
Just for your information,  all the mentioned newspapers are leftists as of course and theirs political lines. The most known moovies exegetists are  the  Timoyannakis (you read his opinon) and  Koutsagionopoulos.  Both  disagree in the line that they try to pass this side of journalist.

Edited by akritas - 10-Mar-2007 at 14:31
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:33
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

And where was your outrage 10 years ago when the comics books were made? The comic books show them just as bad if not worse. Yes lets jump on the bandwagon of Dimitris Danikas one of the most ignorant critics I've read and not because of this article.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:40

Demetris Danikas critized bad even and the Harry Potter  LOL

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:40

Spartans depicted as fighting for freedom is rather ironic, isn't it?  They were probably just worried about losing their helot slaves, since the Persians would have probably set them free .

"By ancient Persia, they refer to modern Iran whose soldiers are portrayed as bloodthirsty, underdeveloped zombies," he wrote. "They are stroking racist instincts in Europe and America."

So true.

Edited by Zagros - 10-Mar-2007 at 14:41
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 14:58
He, never even heard of this movie.
Arrrgh!!"
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:10
Spartans depicted as fighting for freedom is rather ironic, isn't it?  They were probably just worried about losing their helot slaves, since the Persians would have probably set them free .

They were indeed fighting for their freedom.Helots were not free but Spartan citizens were free.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:22

It is still ironic, did it depict the treatment of Helots?  Doesn't the movie say the first ever fight for freedom? Wouldn't that be the Helot revolts?   I heard it also depicts Xerxes as homosexual, that's rather ironic too.

This movie's a joke and I take it as no more.

lol. Or a cheap LotR rip off.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:30
Well,i have not really seen the movie.I do not know whether it depicts helots or not.But again,it's non-historical.Only it's background is historical.
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:43

I think Sparta can not be the symbol of freedom, justice, reason.a barabric city state who killed babies who were not strong enough, and teaching children to take food from other people could hardly be said as a civilized state.

I saw the movie last night. I am feeling that I am watching Lords of the ring, demon, monsters, Big elephant all appear.And a disabled person betrayed the Spartans, is it based on history.If not, people will say this is the discrimination towards the disabled.It always show the physical and mental superiority of the Spartans over Asians.

But do not be angry or even take it serious. It is totally  commercial movie, it only care to express sex and violence in order to provide excitement and entertainment.

If you want to find out the truth of history, may be you can produce other film, something  like Letters from Thermopylae,saying both sides had good and bad guys,spartans soldier realized that the war only for the interest of  the slaveholders, and when they read a letter from a wounded persian captive, they realized that Persians were human beings, and the Spartans
King Leonidas treated the persian prisoner well since he had persian friends and loved the Persian culture.But if the the story is just like that, our Iran member will feel comfortable. But will the film earn large money. Today people just want to watch violence and sex , but not a movie requires they to think.
leung
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:47
According to the modern meaning of freedom,there was no  free State in the Ancient World.But,in history we cannot watch things of past only with modern eyes.
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 16:03
In the modern meaning of freedom, i think even spartans themselves became the slaves of their King or noblrs. they did not have the chance, but to be soldiers, to receive military training, mother could not preserve the life of their babies  in front of "The best interest of the state", just liked Nazi Germany or Facist Japan, or Maoist China.
leung
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 16:07
Well,the way Ancient Helles saw it,Spartans citizens were free.For an Ancient Hellen,with the exception of Athenians democratic conscience,having an oligarchic or a democratic system,or worst a tyrannic one,does not mean that the citizens were not free.If the rulers were Hellens from the same city,then common citizens were considered free.If the ruler was a foreign despot,then they were not free.

Generally is a complicated issue.

Edited by Spartakus - 10-Mar-2007 at 16:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>