Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wolves to be re-introduced in Scotland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolves to be re-introduced in Scotland?
    Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 08:32
The conditions in Scotland are not so harsh as to drive wolves to such extremities when they normally will fear humans (there will be plenty of deer for them) and this was a very rare occassion that it happened 40 years ago and is still a famous story. 

lowly punters lol... not at all - just put the url of the image between these tags [img ]imagelocation.com/image.jpg[/img ]

but remove the spaces that I have inserted in [img ] and [/img ] to make them visible to you.

Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 12:13
I've printed off your tip just in case though seems I'm now getting a script box and can now upload images via their URL.
    I was looking more for the popup window that allows direct upload from my comp but beggars can't be choosers so thanks again.

Edited by Scorpian - 09-Mar-2007 at 12:26
Scorpian
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:49
Of course wolves should be re-introduced into Scotland, they have every right to be there. If I took all the people out of Japan and they wanted to go back as it was where they belonged - let them! Approve There are not going to be any 'wolf attacks' really, but do keep an eye open of course. Although, careful planning must go into where and how they will be re-introduced, as bad timing or location could be disastrous. 
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 09:27
And the wolves have been introduced to Yellowstone
leung
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 07:29

Theres a wolf conservation park quite near to us, if youre a member you get to go on woodland walks to view the wolves.

http://ukwolf.org/

They are magnificent creatures, it would be great to have them roaming wild again.

Gallery here

http://ukwolf.org/uk-wolf/gallery/

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 07:31
Great site Lotus Thumbs%20Up Now all they need is Brown Bears...Smile Does anyone believe that there is any hope for the re-introduction of Brown Bears into Britain?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 14:36
I don't know... Britain is quite crowded already... and their free space is running out. Maybe mass emmigration out of Britain these days may help...?

Join us.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 14:55
England, not Scotland.  there are twice as many people in London as there are in teh whole of Scotland and Scotland is 70% the size of England.

There is plenty space.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 16:35
Wolves have gotten a bad rap. There isn't a single Wolf attack on record yet in the United States. Yet we still wiped them out.
On brown bears being introduced. Aren't Browns the most violent of the bears. Most are endangered too.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 15:23
Do you mean that brown bears are notorious for going out of their way to cause havoc/attack? I'm not sure this i s true but I could be wrong. The Brown Bear subspecies they would have to repopulate with would be the European (Ursus arctos arctos) Brown Bear. This is the smallest subspecies of Brown Bear. I am not sure of exact calculations, but I would imagine there are still a few thousand at the least, remaining in the wild ... though this is the case, repopulation/translocation might be a good option for increasing population to counter their dwindling numbers. 
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 19:06
From my understanding, there is livestock raising in Scotland(sheep), will this affect the industry
leung
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 07:30
If proper precautions are taken regarding the safety of livestock the chance of problems occurring will be greatly minimised. For example, new fencing, gates, compounds, night paddocks.etc. 
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 00:35
Wolves were exterminated from New England (Northeastern  U.S.A.) back in the 1700's. By the 1800's the forests also had been mostly exterminated, replaced by farms. The farms were mostly gone by the early 1900's as people moved into cities, and forests grew back in many parts of New England. Wolves returned to, and they didn't have to be re-introduced by humans, they migrated in naturally, coming down from the Maritime provinces of Canada (where they had continued to exist). These "new" wolves are partially naturally hybridized with coyotes (a species of small wolf which migrated in at the same time, coming from western U.S.A.). They are quite common now but very secretive, hardly ever seen. I've only had 3 sightings, once one was on a path in the woods on a dead deer carcass left by hunters, once one crossed the road in front of me while I was driving, and once I saw a nursing female with heavy teats in a suburban field. I also saw the carcass of one on a highway where it had been hit by a car. They are very cautious, timid, and secretive and do everything they can to avoid humans. The only problems with them over the last 50 years, since they've returned, have been livestock kills (few and far between, usually calves and sheep) though they've also been known to prey on domestic cats. Rabies is prevalent in New England, usually affecting foxes, skunks, raccoons, etc., but occasionally a wolf will be infected, and that is the only time that they've been known to attack a human.
Windemere
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 04:43

I don't think it is right to release wild animals on or near a farmer's property. The transports to get the wolves to the destination would cost money, and the replenishing of livestock would be costly as well.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 08-Nov-2007 at 04:44
What is the officer problem?
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 09:32
Originally posted by tommy

From my understanding, there is livestock raising in Scotland(sheep), will this affect the industry
Without a doubt. Wolves will take the easiest prey and if sheep are easier to catch and kill than deer, then wolves will target them.
but I don't care. The wolves were cleared out of Scotland to make way for people and then the people were cleared out to make way for sheep (Highland Clearances) so if the sheep are cleared out to make way for wolves, then so be it.

It's funny the way things move in circles sometimes. Good luck to the wolves is what I say.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 10:33
U.S. authorities pay ranchers compensation for wolf killed livestock near Yellow Stone national park. The re introduction of wolves into Yellow Stone has not been a disaster for the ranching industry and some ranchers now even support re introduction programs so long as there are controls.

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Jul-2011 at 10:35
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 13:09
It's not so much that they kill sheep but more about the manner in which they kill them, A bear for instance will swipe a sheep, killing it instantly and devouring it at its own leasure. Three or four wolves on the other hand, will rip the sheep's face off, disembowel it and proceed to eat it alive, from the inside out. Pass this little gem of information over to the British public and their squeamish little tummies will turn upside down and no matter how hard you work at convincing them that over population of deer herds is much crueler to not only the deer, but countless other species and the enviroment....they just wont get it. Which leaves us with the big bad wolf...

I'd love to see wolves re-introduced to Britain, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting. 
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 13:45
My guess would be the excess deer population has more to do with excess hunting restrictions. Meanwhile, government scientists get new furry toys to play with, and make public access to the wild slim and difficult. At least that's the story in my state.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 05:43
Originally posted by unclefred

My guess would be the excess deer population has more to do with excess hunting restrictions. Meanwhile, government scientists get new furry toys to play with, and make public access to the wild slim and difficult. At least that's the story in my state.

Pretty much, unclefred. Here in the UK it's very difficult to get a shotgun licence never mind a rifle licence.
Another problem with deer stalking is the remoteness of the deer-lands. Back in 1986 when we had the chernobyl disaster, venison was deemed unfit for human consumption due to radiation fallout and that's when the deer population got out of control.
I remember when some of the estates were offering free deer hunting to anyone with a rifle licence on condition that they removed the carcasses from the land. Now unless you also had a horse (or a helicopter) or shoulders like desperate Dan ? you weren't going to be carrying many deer home.

It's interesting today on some of the sites advertising deer stalking in Scotland, when they refer to the chronic overpopulation of deer and yet, these are the same people who are opposed to the introduction of the wolf. Claiming that the deer population isn't that bad..really ????  Deer stalking in Scotland involves a lot of walking and I guess they fear that wolves lurking around may put some of their customers off.  
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 08:45
I must nod in the direction of unclefred and Paddboy, above with their well thought out solution to the problems.

A lot of farmers, or small garden tenders, only see deer as a giant forest rat that constantly destroys crops, etc. And, as well when deer populations become too large for the environment, they also destroy small trees, and other plants, especially if this population is hit by a period of very bad weather.

It is the reluctance of England, etc., to allow the culling of the deer population via weapons, that creates the problem. Men will hunt for venison for the most part, or maybe even a bounty could be paid for each carcass if need be?

Bounties were paid in the American Colonies for wolves, coyotes, squirrels, etc., well up into the 19th century in many states, and even into the 20th century in some states.

So there exists but two alternatives, either hunt or poison the excess population or use predators like wolves to solve the problem.

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>