Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home Alone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Alone
    Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 12:14
This Morning i could read:

Medieval graveyard found in basement

At least ten graves believed to date back to the Middle Ages were found in a basement of a house in Rang in Hrarstunga, east Iceland. Three skulls have been discovered and the graves will be examined in detail next summer.

My sons were digging up the floor to increase the distance to the ceiling and found a skull, Soffa Benjamnsdttir, who lives in the house, told Frttabladid.

The family began changing its basement last summer. They wanted to deepen the floor and pour concrete over the parts of the basement that were made of earth.

Inga Sley Kristjnudttir, who serves as relics guard in east Iceland, arrived at the scene and discovered two more skulls. The skulls are in a poor state and the bones are rotten, she said. Further digging will have to wait until next summer, Kristjnudttir added.

The house in Rang is a century old and is one of the first houses that was made out of concrete in this region. When it was built bones were found, but still the location for the house was not changed.

That is strange, Kristjnudttir said. The house was built right on top of the cemetery and in 1915 pagan graves were found by the house.

The age of the three skulls has not been determined, but according to Kristjnudttir, experts will try to find out how old the bones are. She believes the graveyard dates back to at least the 17th century and probably back to the Middle Ages.

According to historical sources, there was a chapel at Rang in mediaeval times.

Benjamnsdttir and her family do not find it uncomfortable to live in their house after a graveyard was discovered in the basement, but are anxious to be able to continue with their operations.

Isnt it like this in every other house? Our ancestors are all buried somewhere, Benjamnsdttir said. I have always lived here and Ive always felt good living here and this hasnt changed anything. There are many people around here, but only good people and good spirits.

I will inform you about the further development....

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 06-Mar-2007 at 12:15

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 12:32
Interesting cultural difference, where I am from that would freak some folk out.

Cool post, thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply