Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so, the Stupid Nationalism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: so, the Stupid Nationalism
    Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:46
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:57
My favorite nationalism is East Asian nationalism...its just SOOO DUMB!  Didnt  the Japanese occupation teach them anything?  I guess not.  The unspeakable acts done in the name of nationalism all start from silly little claims and verboise hyperbole.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:18
Wait hold up it's a history book...I only glanced over it as my korean reading skills are elementary.  What offended you about it?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:21
yea, do you believe this is a history book? I believe it made by the nationalist.
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:39
Ok ok...I got that part but what's bothering you about it...with a brief glance I don't see much wrong.  Please point it out ya?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:54

just look at this pictue, do you feel it is right about Korean land? And the book says Koreans were from Middle east, they dominated the Huang-river culture....

Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:57

here is some more pictures

And a part which says Koryou attack Tang dynasty for punishment and they beat Tang so easily... I am not sure about why Koreans make a such book with no sense, I believe there is no other reason.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 22:02
OK I don't know about the Huang-river culture and crap and the middle east stuff is nationalistic..I agree...the map though can be justified.

Jeju-do, then Tamna was a tributary state of Baekje so that's ok.

Here's the bit on Baekje in Shangdong taken from the Baekje Article in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baekje

The boundaries of Baekje control shifted substantially through the centuries. According to Chinese chronicles, Baekje rule during the time of King Geunchogo extended to the Shandong peninsula in present-day China, but it's not clear. At this time Baekje controlled almost the entire coastline of the West Sea (or Yellow Sea). However, the area under Baekje control soon contracted under pressure from Goguryeo and Silla.

The Japanese part is a bit harder to justify.  We do know the bloodlines of the Yamato court and Baekje were related.  The map seems to be playing off of the Horserider invasion theory which some scholars do prescribe to.  It's very much probable that Baekje had a large impact and influence on Japan at this time and one could make the argument that they were the De Facto rulers of Japan.

About Koguryo attacking Tang...I am sure Koguryo attacked Tang a few times...not so sure who won and all...so I can't comment on that....

Overall assessment:  Yes it is nationalistic, but not all of it is lies.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 22:10

True, not all is lie, but it is ... you know, this post put on a Chinese website, people are translated them. almost all the Chinese were get so mad, I think nationalism is good, but not good too aggrandize a nation.

I know some Chinese were nationalism also, but they are not crazy like this post, at least Chinese history book never say China have dominated the world. 

battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 23:14
Originally posted by ChineseManchurian

True, not all is lie, but it is ... you know, this post put on a Chinese website, people are translated them. almost all the Chinese were get so mad, I think nationalism is good, but not good too aggrandize a nation.

I know some Chinese were nationalism also, but they are not crazy like this post, at least Chinese history book never say China have dominated the world. 

this comes and goes....when the chinese claimed koguryo the koreans were furious too....and many chinese books take a very nationalistic view as well.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 23:55
I took a closer look at the website..indeed it is very nationalistic...it's one of those sites that's a suporter of the Baedal, Hwangook, and Handangogi theories.  None of which have been proven and are very much in doubt...the guy is a good painter though...
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 00:40

everyone has nationalistic crap.. i don't see what makes this special..

lol, i guess the admiral Yi section didn't need any exagerration

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 19:20
Some maps that get my water boiling...

Here's one that Hansioux and others told me is highly highly exaggerated..I wouldn't know, I don't read Chinese but I'll just take their word for it.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 23:20

lol "tributary"

Well tang did eventually destroy Koguryo with some help, but that clearly wouldnt account for the entire Korean penninsula now would it?

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:55

Something as funny as nationalism is counter nationalism.  It's always "that is xing wrong", without evidence to rebut.  Sometimes it makes me wonder whos the one who's not lying.   

-.-

Grrr..
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:37
for the first map that Dangun Wanggeom  put, isn't that koryo dynasty.... ~_~;;; .....  i think that thoes maps are @##%$ stupid...
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:51
Originally posted by chaeohk

for the first map that Dangun Wanggeom  put, isn't that koryo dynasty.... ~_~;;; .....  i think that thoes maps are @##%$ stupid...

First of all the first map I put up is about the Ming dynasty...

Second of all the name's Gubuk Janggoon not Dangun Wanggeom. 
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:52
ehh sorry... my bad.. anyway i was asking about the part of korea that is supposed to be part of ming

Edited by chaeohk
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:56
Third of all, that was what I was talking about too.  If you look at my post title it's, "Maps that make my water boil." meaning they piss me off.
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:58
....i was asking if the dynasty in korea on that map is koryo....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>