Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All Battles Quiz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Battles Quiz
    Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 11:27
Welcome to the

Round 2 Finished

The Quiz has ended and we have our winners!

Moderators: Rider & Northman

All Battles Quiz is a contest in which participants attempt to answer questions relating to history. Any forum member or guest may participate.

Instructions: Use the form in the link above to submit your answer to the question. You are allowed an unlimited number of submissions and you may use any source, reference or search engine to help you with your answering. Points are awarded for correct answers. The participant with the most points win. If you have gotten a question correct, you do not need to re-submit the correct answer. The scoreboard will be updated at 4-hour intervals when possible. Only use this answer sheet to submit answers, DO NOT post answers on the forum.

Note: Unlike in previous editions, question authors will not be revealed until the end of this quiz.

The second round lasts 5 days.

Answers to questions presented in Rounds One and Two:

Question 1
What battle has been described as following: "..the kings of Europe, after the lapse of eighteen centuries, trembled once more before a conquering military republic"? (Question by Rider)

Answer: The Battle of Valmy

Question 2
The field of Panipat has served as the site of three major battles over a modern and medieval capital city. In all three battles the attackers have been victorious. Name the city, the years in which the battles were fought, and the names of the three victorious rulers. (Question by Omar al Hashim)

Answer: Delhi; Babur in 1526; Akbar in 1556; and Ahmed Shah Abdali in 1761.

Question 3
This battle was caused by a gold miners revolt in 1854. It is the only rebellion in the history of this country. What country was it fought in? (Question by Omar al Hashim)

Answer: Australia.

Question 4
Who commanded the Mamluke army in the battle of Ain Jalut? (Question by Omar al Hashim)

Answer: Qutuz.

Question 5
This battle was fought by two empires, a growing one and a dying one. The old empire timidly won the battle, but eventually lost the war. A stuffed toy was named after one of the participants for a future event. (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: Battle of Las Guasimas

Question 6
This battle was fought by two Christian nations, although it has been thought later on that it was a Christians versus Muslims battle. Some time after the battle took place, an unknown person wrote an epic story of the battle, and the story became the beginning of a genre. In that battle, a knight was supposed to die a heroic death. What battle is this? (Question by Rider)

Answer: The Battle of Roncesvaux Pass

Question 7
What are one of the most famous words, put into another man's mouth that speak of hostilities and animals? Where were the words mentioned and by whom? (Question by Rider)

Answer: 'Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of war!', spoken in the play 'Julius Caesar', what was written by William Shakespeare and about Julius Caesar.

Question 8
In this battle, a naval force of few ships, not more than 10 strong (without nonmilitary vessels) defeated a much larger force. The larger force lost half of the vessels with the smaller one losing none. The battle took place at night and due to the result of this battle, the winning side could capture a large area. Name the commanders of both sides.

Answer: Winning: Vice-Admiral Kondo; Losing: Admiral Doormann.

Question 9
This was a major battle the first war between two European forces. The one attempted to fight its way to relieve a besieged garrison. It sustained heavy losses, and had to retreat. That side never fought with its colors again, because four ensigns were shot in battle carrying the colors. (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: Battle of Laing's Nek

Question 10
This battle was fought in a war that was held over a long period. It happened so that on a field, one commander crushed the other and later on, as it was thought very important, the commander went to meet a herold of the opposing side to decide a name for the battle. The battle was named after a nearby castle. What battle is this? (Question by Rider)

Answer: The Battle of Agincourt

Question 11
This important battle, one of the greatest in the region, occurred during a civil war. The two main sides counted with the financial and military support of many foreign powers. The outcome of the battle is still disputed, with both sides claiming victory. Two of the foreign powers involved faced economic embargos at the times of the war. (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: The Battle of Cuito Cuanavale

Question 12
What is a quote about the battle of Verdun, 1916? The quote is somewhat a token to the price of glory that was gained by French in the battle. (Question by Rider)

Answer: "It was the indecisive battle in an indecisive war, the unnecessary battle in an unnecessary war, the battle that had no victors in a war that had no victors."

Question 13
Between these two events were half a dozen of years. They both symbolized a clash of sides, and as usual, blood was spilled, of nobility and fraternity. These two events determined the way of life for the next hundreds of years. One decided to shape the fate of an organization, that was dissolved and the remnants incorporated to another similar organization; the other marked the boundaries of powers for hundreds of years to come. On both events the masters were killed and a great lot of subordinates as well. Once in a wet grave, the other time under the hot sun. (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1. The Battle of Sauga, 1236, where the Latgals and Semgals defeated the Livonian Brethern of the Sword; 2. The Battle on the Ice, 1242, where the Livonian Order was defeated, and many men fell into the icy waters of Lake Peipsi.

Question 14
A religious man started a war for independence, got the masses to support him, and marched towards the capital, winning victory after victory. His forces fought near the capital, won, yet the leader turned around. After this, everything went downhill for him. Where did this battle happen and what was the leader's name? (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: Monte de las Cruces, Mexico, in 1910, during the first phase of the Mexican independence war. The leader was priest Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla.

Question 15
It was an important battle, but often neglected. A new nation invaded an older one in its West. It marked the last offensive into the West from this new nation, and the absolute control over this territory by its enemy.

Answer: Battle at Perryville or Battle of Chaplin Hills

Question 16
The names of two different wars, in which two different future super powers fought, are drawn from the year in which this battle was fought. The battle took place at a village outside a capital city, and was particularly bloody. No clear result was obtained from the battle, although one side withdrew at nightfall. The side that withdrew ended up winning the war largely as a result of this battle. Which battle was it? What war was it in? (Question by Omar al Hashim)

Answer: The Battle of Borodino. The War of 1812.

Question 17
The strong military ally of a country refused to openly defend it. Instead, it attacked the country's aggressor, and declared war against another neighbour. The country joins with the other two, forming an alliance that defeats and ruins the ally for decades. What is the name of this war? (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: The War of the Triple Alliance - between Argentina, Brasil and Uruguay vs. Paraguay, in the 19th century.

Question 18
I was a great man during troubled times for my country. I was born into nobility on a land far away from my original homeland. I made war against four different states, but I should mention that I was not always in command - after all, I started as a pretty low man in the army. I was wounded in a battle, and I gained a higher rank due to the wound. A daring assault, led by me, which would remind some of the feats of the Noldoli took me even higher up in command. I controlled later on, in a catastrophic war, and army and I won great glory by devising a tactic new to the generals of our lands. I was most glorious in war but often misunderstood by my contemporaries. I died a few years after the long and exhausting war, being a count. I had no heirs of my line. I will award you with half a point more if you tell me which of my actions resembles a feat of the Noldoli. (Question by Rider)

Answer: Barclay de Tolly, Field-Marshal of the Imperial Russian Army. Feat of the Noldoli was the crossing of the Bay of Bothnia.

Question 19
In these two battles, a large trading empire fought bravely. In one of these, the empire outnumbered the enemies around two to one and although it lost a large number of troops to the enemy, it still managed to withstand the assault and drive the enemies away. By this encounter, the empire maintained a large and quite important territory. Around two hundred years later, the second battle took place. Now the sides had switched and the culture that had been defeated before, repaied the old debt. According to a legend, the troops of the empire that outnumbered the enemies around five times, deserted and fled the field, however one contignent withstood the assault and were annihilated to the last man. What were the two battles? (Question by Rider)

Answer: The Battles of Alalia and Crimissus

Question 20

This event began with a few hundred riders and a larger number of foot soldiers storming through the city. The man commanding this force was a noble, who previously had served at high offices during times of war and peace. Now, he wanted to repay a debt - his enemy had imprisoned his sons and nephew on false charges as he wanted the man to submit to his rule. The sons were released, but the nephew was kept in captivity. His enemy lived near him, and so he was informed of the gathering forces and he managed to slip away unharmed. The assault group was divided into three; one of these groups found an enemy detachment and leading them a traitor. The two contingencies began fighting and for a long time neither side had any success. One man, loyal supporter of the attacker, was a fabled warrior. He killed the nephew of his lords' enemy, and two other well known warriors. Still, the assault group started an orderly retreat. They remained actively in combat throughout the night. As they were tired, the enemy pinned them down with archers. When most men had lost hope, a large force came to support the assault. They didn't however use the moment of surprise and waited; enemy fortified himself on the streets. The enemy leaders also created a document which stated that the attackers were part of a rebellion. On these news, a large part of the attackers' force deserted. The rebels still managed to assault and advance, but suddenly the whole army turned to rout and flight due to an interesting event in which one of the rebels' leaders was killed. During the flight, the leader of the rebellion and his sons were killed in combat. However, the fabled warrior who had been successful from the start, gathered as many men as he could and escaped over water. What is this event known as? What was the event that brought the army into rout? (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1) It is known as the Wada rebellion; it took place in Kamakura, on the 2nd and 3rd of May, 1213. 2) The rout of the army was caused by an arrow that struck down a leader of the rebels. The arrow seemed to come from a temple and therefore it was thought to be a divine sign. Seeing this, the army ran.

Question 21
About the same event as the previous question: Who was the leader of the rebels? Who was the fabled soldier (who first killed three men, including a nephew of their enemy's lord and two others and then retreated with a large force over water)? (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1) Wada Yoshimori 2) Asaina (Asahina) Yoshihide

Edited by rider - 12-Mar-2007 at 15:37
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 13:08
Originally posted by Northman

The first round lasts 5 days.

Scores will be updated every four hours whenever possible.

have you no life - every 4 hours for 5 days. Wink
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 13:32
Once a day seems good to me
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 13:34

What else would you expect from a man who lives 55 degress north of the equator. Long winter nights. Warm coffee and the All Battles Quiz should keep him occupied till he see's any sign of sunlight again.Smile

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 13:49
What's the point?Decebal will win it again!WinkLOL
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 14:05
Pay attention people - and notice........whenever possible!

Its not possible if I'm sleeping, eating, driving, watching tv, working on something else etc. etc. etc....Wink

Rider will moderate LOL - I'm merely the assistant... - I hope!

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 15:01
great ... we bugged you now you won't update scores Ouch
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 16:16
But now I want to see how well I have done
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 16:22
Scores updated !

- and corrected 22:38 CET

Sweet revenge Dawn LOL 

Edited by Northman - 02-Mar-2007 at 16:39
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:10
I am sorry. I weren't here when  I should have been. It's that few minutes before the hour striked 7 EET (or 5 CET); I was informed that I have to leave extremely quickly... I had no time to respond and am happy that North begun it. Thanks,

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:18
Maharbbal, Ovidius; the Verdun one specifically speaks of one quote that was considered and to which the accompanying sentence hints to. 
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:25
hmpf? Ermm
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:41
Yes, not a random quote about it; but a certain quote that is hinted to in the accompanying sentence. Why else would it be there for?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:41
Scores updated!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:57
Originally posted by rider

I am sorry. I weren't here when  I should have been. It's that few minutes before the hour striked 7 EET (or 5 CET); I was informed that I have to leave extremely quickly... I had no time to respond and am happy that North begun it. Thanks,

No worries Rider things happen and we where just teasing Northman cause we can.Big%20smile
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:59
Btw, can one of you (Dawn or North) unlock and publish the AllBattles Forum part too? It is currently unavailable for normal users.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by Northman

Scores updated !

- and corrected 22:38 CET

Sweet revenge Dawn LOL 

you will pay ,I don't know when you will pay or how but will pay. You have the word of a Valkyrie on that TongueLOL
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 18:23
scores updated.. i was learning the engine...
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 18:36
I believe you are open for buisness Rider
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 20:52
Scores updated!

Next update in 6-8 hours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>