Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TheBattle of France, 1940 - Easy Victory?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TheBattle of France, 1940 - Easy Victory?
    Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:09
Just some numbers
In 45 days Germans have lost

46000 killed(63 000 killed for others sources)
111 000 wounded
Italian have lost 6 000 casualties(dead and wounded)

Germans have also lost 839 tanks destroyed(32% of their tanks) and several hundreds strongly damaged
Luftwaffe has lost approximately 1400 planes destroyed and also 500 strongly damaged
Total Luffwaffe has lost 1900 planes destroyed and damaged.

these casualties in only 45 days are important.

Then easy victory or not ?

Edited by Tancrde - 01-Mar-2007 at 11:19
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:47
By comparison to WWI (which was what it was compared to in 1940) it is very easy. Every major offensive during WWI meant 5000 casulties the first hour, 50,000 the first day and 500,000 at the end...

It is also ok compared to the major defeats of the Germans during WWII, Stalingrad, Tunisia, Normandy, Kursk, Belarussia meant from 100,000 to 400,000 casulties.

It is quite smilar to what the Americans (alone!) lost during the Liberation of France.

If your figures are corrects and if my math are also you get:
less than 2,5% of the Wermacht engaged killed
about 5% wounded
it is less than 10% of the army, which is what is usually assumed to be the cost of a successful attack.

It is true that the Luftwaffe lost a lot of plane.

But ultimately the benefices are much higher than the costs: almost no oil spent, one enemy down, light casulties... The German saved of the three things they were short on: petrol, time and workforce.

So: easy victory, but not completely costless.
I am a free donkey!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 16:36
And remember, France possessed among the best land armies with plenty of supplies in WWII. Defeat of France was a great success to Germans. Even Hitler did not expect such a quick victory. He imagined the same scenario as in WWI, where France and Germany will face stalemate.

With exception to Operation Sea Lion, German success in WWII was fantastic, until Hitler became arrogant and blinded by his hatred and pride... and made foolish decisions in German's invasion against Soviet Union.

Join us.
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 16:51
Originally posted by Maharbbal

It is also ok compared to the major defeats of the Germans during WWII, Stalingrad, Tunisia, Normandy, Kursk, Belarussia meant from 100,000 to 400,000 casulties.

Without the prisoners
in Tunisia germans lost much less casualties than in May june 1940 in France
and during the battle of Normandy they lost approximately 200 000 killed and wounded
hardly more than during the battle of france.

During Barbarossa between june and August 1941( 3 months)
Germans have lost 67 000 killed, 143 000 wounded and also 660 planes and 1200 tanks destroyed.
In 3 months their casualties in planes were much less heavy than in 45 days during the battle of France.

It is true that the Luftwaffe lost a lot of plane.

And these planes destroyed have missed at lufwaffe during battle of England.

Edited by Tancrde - 01-Mar-2007 at 17:02
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 16:56
I still wonder why Hitler let Himmler to become the head of Luffaffe. I honestly don't think he was a capable for such responsbility.

Join us.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 17:55
Originally posted by pekau

I still wonder why Hitler let Himmler to become the head of Luffaffe. I honestly don't think he was a capable for such responsbility.

You mean Gring.
One must not insult the future.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 18:04

By comparison to WWI (which was what it was compared to in 1940) it is very easy. Every major offensive during WWI meant 5000 casulties the first hour, 50,000 the first day and 500,000 at the end...

The difference was the time-frame. It ended up easy in absolute numbers, but if you break the rate of killing down in relation to the time-frame it was bloody murder.

It was worse for France of course, with twice the casualty rate of the Germans, but it certainly was a very real and brutal war conducted at a very high pace.

The French were loosing lives at a rate higher than the worst parts of WWI in 1940. It was easier on the Germans, but had the campaign dragged on into somethning like the grinding offensives of WWI they would have been used up very quickly.

Of course the whole point of the way Fall Gelb was fought was to avoid static WWI battles. And besides the war had to be short and sharp fo the Germans, as they lacked the supplies to keep it going for much longer than it lasted.
One must not insult the future.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Tancrde

Just some numbers
In 45 days Germans have lost

46000 killed(63 000 killed for others sources)
111 000 wounded
Italian have lost 6 000 casualties(dead and wounded)

Germans have also lost 839 tanks destroyed(32% of their tanks) and several hundreds strongly damaged
Luftwaffe has lost approximately 1400 planes destroyed and also 500 strongly damaged
Total Luffwaffe has lost 1900 planes destroyed and damaged.

these casualties in only 45 days are important.

Then easy victory or not ?

Despite the casualties, I believe it was a real easy victory. They were running over France, inspite of her weaknesses, still was a huge power and was globally a great power...

Comparing with the results, the casualties were not much bothering.

Though the Italian war effort was a mess...French Alpine Army easily defended its positions, despite the loss in the northern sector of the battle.

Had the French been more prepared, they could have probably resisted much more. Especially in terms of armored brigades, which they lacked. It is necessary to mention French manpower reserves, which had taken a great blow after WW I, was still low.

The generals make a great difference as well...German generals were tactically excelled and capable, while French generals mostly couldn't match their superiorities.

Still, we have the Dunkirk myth out there..

Edited by Kapikulu - 01-Mar-2007 at 19:04
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 19:10
Originally posted by Tancrde

In 3 months their casualties in planes were much less heavy than in 45 days during the battle of France.

Which is not really surprising for several reasons:

The Eastern Front was a wide front and didn't involve that much of an aerial fighting.

Apart from that, the Soviet planes, despite their huge numbers, lacked quality against their German counterparts.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 23:46
Interesting... what was Soviet Airforce like. I heard that some of them were assigned to bomb Berlin, but they lost so many planes that they just gave up the idea...

Join us.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 13:24

also, it is called Luftwaffe, what you wrote means "air-monkey". please use the english names (airforce) instead if you don't know the spelling... ;)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 14:17
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Apart from that, the Soviet planes, despite their huge numbers, lacked quality against their German counterparts.

Many German pilots rated the MiG-3 superior to their own ME109's.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 16:34
Originally posted by Temujin

also, it is called Luftwaffe, what you wrote means "air-monkey". please use the english names (airforce) instead if you don't know the spelling... ;)

Cool. Luffaffe sounds much better~LOL

Sorry, I will watch my spelling. My posts have a lot of typos...

Join us.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 13:56

It was easy I think becouse France wasnt prapered for Blitzkrieg. It was totaly supraising for them.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 14:06
During 1939-1940,Germany was not technologically superior to France.In fact,Germans lacked in great artillery numbers.What brought the victory was ,as erkut mentioned,the new form of warfare:combined air and land attacks,massive use of tanks to break the opposite lines.The French had plenty of tanks,some of them even much heavier than the Pz IVA like the 2C,B-1 etc,but they were rested in WWI tactis,in which tanks were meant to be used as servants of the infantry,not as a break liners.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 03:17
Well, the "Conquest of France", i doubt was an easy task for the Germans, even though the powerful French Army lacked preparedness. And the "Invasion of Normandy" was obviously not an easy campaign. Hitler in fact knew that the Allies would have to invade France.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 12:45
Though it was somewhat of Phyrric victory, , the Germans had conquered one of the greatest armies in the world at that time, not to mention that the Germans had hated the French ever since the Versailles Treaty.

Overall, the victory, IMHO, was an easy one, though the losses probably didn't help the Fuhrer during his Russian campaign.   
Crusader3943
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 05:57
It was a peice of a cake 4 the Krauts. British and French were useless in the early WW2 they had old war tactics from WW1, they had outdated weapons etc. And the stubborn Brits refused to adopt machine guns which didnt help either
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 06:59
Originally posted by VenetianKnight

It was a peice of a cake 4 the Krauts. British and French were useless in the early WW2 they had old war tactics from WW1, they had outdated weapons etc. And the stubborn Brits refused to adopt machine guns which didnt help either

I'd agree the Brits at the start of the war was incompetent in terms of their army, though they had an excellent navy and a gallant air force.
    But to say they didn't adopt the machine gun? What you said is like...Confused I actually don't know what to make of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 08:30

It was a hard battle. Lets remember that in the Anglo dominated world we tend to concentrate only on British contribution, which ended after Dunkirk, OTH the Battle of France which continued till 10th June was a bloody affair.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>