Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and alcohol
    Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 05:44
"In the Qur'an the prescribed penalty for adultery is one hundred lashes and a year in exile - sura 24:1. However, Mohammed did condemn people to be stoned to death, in one case the rabbis brought a man and a woman accused of adultery, Mohammed ordered the pair to be stoned to death.
Comparative Index to Islam : VERSE
Muslim jurists are unanimous about the penalty for adultery: ... The non-virgin, one hundred strokes and death by stoning, the virgin, one hundred strokes ...
www.answering-islam.de/Main/Index/V/verse.html - 37k -
So heaven is where crime is the reward - promiscuous sex and alcohol. Islam is a source of criminal motivation.
chimera
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 06:38
LOL
Your joking right.

answering-islam, a source? you must be joking LOL
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 06:45
99% of Turkish people don't even know what "Kimiz" is.

Oh and you've asked 99% of the population of Turkey Confused

And the Khirghiz farmstead in Izmir, which belongs to a Khirghiz family, is the only place to drink "Kimiz" in Turkey. And only psycho Pan-Turkists go there. But even they don't claim such a ridiculous thing.

You better tell them to take it off the tourist map then, it's become a hit tourist cultural attraction Smile

Edited by Bulldog - 01-Mar-2007 at 06:47
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 07:24
No, Bulldog. It's because It's a central asian drink which is completely alien to the Turkish people. That khirghiz farmstead is also a wonderful proof of my statement.

Okay?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 10:18
If it's alien why is it sold in Turkey LOL

Arn't the people of that farm Turkish citizens? so what's your problem.
Albert Pine

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 10:21
Guys. Is that stuff good enough to fight over? It better be... Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 10:50

I have no problem as long as you don't claim that "Kimiz" would be a traditional drink of the people of Turkey.

And that kimiz was a gift from our Kirghiz farmers to our brainless Pan Turkists. That farm is NOT a "Kimiz shop".

Find any place where Kimiz is sold in Turkey and I'll accept that Kimiz is the national drink of Turks.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:18
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Great post, Malizai! That's the kind of thing that I was looking for. Very explicit evidence for the case.

I encourage more of the same, and I'd also like to ask any of you who are Muslim (if you care to answer, one way or the other) if you yourselves drink? I wonder what the answers will be.

I didn't drink when i didn't care for religion and i never have. But if i did i would have stopped. It may be useful information to know that in the early period of Islam there wasn't a prohibition on drink. When the revelation regarding the prohibition was revealed it clearly identified two behavioral categories of Muslims, like there always will be. Incidentally there were some that were drinking when the prohibition was revealed. Upon hearing the prohibition there were some who literally spat out what they held in their mouths, whereas others swallowed one last time. I guess i would have spat out.LOL
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:48
Hidden_Face
And that kimiz was a gift from our Kirghiz farmers to our brainless Pan Turkists.

Really? so why is it on the tourist map, tours that visit the Izmir area tend to go there quite alot.

Hidden_Face
Find any place where Kimiz is sold in Turkey

When I was in Istanbul I saw it being sold, I guess you'll find it in Ulupamir Van aswell Tongue

Aelgifu
Guys. Is that stuff good enough to fight over? It better be... Wink

Big%20smile 

We'll have to find you some.
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 12:18
Originally posted by Bulldog

Really? so why is it on the tourist map, tours that visit the Izmir area tend to go there quite alot.

Which map? Which tour? What are you talking about Bulldog?

Originally posted by Bulldog

When I was in Istanbul I saw it being sold, I guess you'll find it in Ulupamir Van aswell Tongue

I was born and raise in Istanbul. Is it awfully hard to say just a place where it is sold! 

Goodnight, Bulldog. Nice discussion indeed.

Edited by The Hidden Face - 01-Mar-2007 at 12:21
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 20:14
Kimiz is not the national drink of Turkey.but its the national drink of Turks.it was invented by Turks,it was drunk by Turks.it is still drunk in CA.all Turkish dont live in Turkey!
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 15:19
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Alcohol is the central substance in the Christian mysteries (along side with the wafers; you know, the Transubstantiation), and us such, there is not much justification for the demonization of the recreational use of alcohol in the west. Can you imagine the argument?

This point regarding the necessitty of wine is for the Eucahrist is for Catholic and Orthodox traditions.   Evangelical traditions reagrding alcohol are far different.

As for as imgaining the argument, I have lived it in many places in the American South.  Many counties still have  "Blue Laws" that regulate the sale of alcohol.  These laws can make purchasing of alcohol merely incovenient to almost impossible depnding on the regulations.

Some variants that I have seen include forbidding bars outright, requiring that restaraunts that serve alcohol incorperate as "private clubs" and  limitations or even banning alcohol vendors.

When I was in college, I knew "Bootleggers" who would stocka  car  trunk full of alcohol in one county, drive about 60 miles to a "dry area"  and then resell it for good profit as the thirsty locals did not want to drive 100 mile roundtrip for beer.  (most of the customers were fishing on rural lakes).    

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 18:33
I used to live in New Orleans. Not all the South is neo-prohibitionist Wink

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 02:53
Oh God! The South is one of the most hard drinking parts of the country! There are many Christians down there who do not agree with it, but many more who love their alchohol! 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 11:28
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Sparten

So dose Pakistan

To answer the post, it does appear logical that banning alcohol was another measure Mohammad implemented to prevent the incessant infighting which broke out between the Arab tribes. This was a necessary step to take before he could begin his military campaigns to expand outside Arabia.

Buddy, here you downplayed Muhammed's permament influence on Muslims. Muhammed's main role was not waging military campaigns,but enlighting genetarions then and now. It is also worth noting down the fact that  Islamic rules are the will of the Allmighty, Muhammed is the messanger.

I am glad alchol is forbidden in Islam. I do not drink and will never drink. I have witnessed how bad things people could do when they are drunk, or under the influence of alchol. I have witnessed how people could degrade themselves.Confused

Buddy, GDP per capita is higher in Latvia and Russia than Turkey. But Just let me remind you the fact that average Turkish man live 6 years higher than avarage Latvian or Russian manWink Now you may count reasons like climate, murder rate and so on..But I tell you what! in 2005 just 30.000 Russians died of fake vodka. Not to mention who died because of real alchol.. But alchol reallly kills people and made them kill others also unfortunately.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:27
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

Bulldog, please, stop this misinformation.

99% of Turkish people don't even know what "Kimiz" is. It's a traditional drink of central asian Turkic peoples, who are utterly different from the people of Turkey, especially culturally.

Would you please stop with such stupid generalizations? 99%....

It's not like you've never heard of it that 99% of the population didnt heard of it Dead

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:31
Most People know what is kımız(It is horse milk) but It is true people did not tasted it.

I dont know any place who sold Kımız at istanbul too.(Of course, I should add I am not a drinker too.)

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:51
Regarding the Kimiz issue; 

The rate would most probably be the same as what would be in Belgium. It's simply imposible that most of the Turkish people know what even Kimiz is.

I consider myself quite authorized to make generalizations on my own people. It's about my family, my friends, my schools, my town and city, which are quite good samples. Especially if you were born and raised in Istanbul.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:54
Hidden, I live in istanbul too(And I have family, friend ext.). I think I can make some generalization too.

Kımız is known by Turks but People dont drink it. It is not a Turkish drinking, but a known drinking.

Cogu kişi diğer ikilerden iyi biliyor. En azından geyik iin kullanılıyor. Ka kişi sarabın biranin veya rakının iinde ne oldugunu biliyorki? Kımızın at sutunden yapıldıgını bilen pek cok kişi var.

A lot of people know it better than others drinking. At least, for making fun. How many people know what bira, rakı consist.  A lot people know Kımız is done by horse milk.

Edited by Mortaza - 20-Apr-2007 at 16:25
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:28
C'mon Mortaza. Kimiz is only known by some Pan Turkists. That's all. I said %99. But even %1, which means 700,000 of Turkish people, is very high number, if you ask me. The reason is that Kimiz is not a part of Anatolian Turkish culture.

Edited by The Hidden Face - 20-Apr-2007 at 17:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>