Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and alcohol
    Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 19:43
Anyone know why in the Koran alcohol is considered haram ('forbidden')? I'm curious, because as an Abrahamic religion, wouldn't wine and alcohol have been present in the mysteries? Can someone tell me why the Islamic world has developed a cultural aversion to alcohol?
Cheers!
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 23:23
Thank your for the question. Actually I live in Azerbaijan, in a muslim country. But I drink and do not usually practice my religion. And that in reality makes me not to muslim in fact Tongue.

Coming to the issue, I think it is becouse arabs during the prophets times, were drinkin and gettin drunk really bad and usually made fights and were not able to control themselves, especially lots of times during wars. That is what I 've heard, but that does not make me ignore that "The BEER is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamen Franklin. Here with friends, we dring Bidburger and Heiniken as water man.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 23:34
An interesting fact is that a "muslim" country, Turkey, exports her alcoholic products to "christian" countries, in other words, many "christians" drink "muslim" drinks.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 00:29
So dose Pakistan

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 00:35
Well put Sparten. Is there a traditional pakistani alcholic drink?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by Sparten

So dose Pakistan

This brewery is so well known, and also renowned for being the only distillery of whisky in the Islamic world outside Turkey with a long history, that it made its way into a book of the world's most famous whisky distilleries I read through recently.

To answer the post, it does appear logical that banning alcohol was another measure Mohammad implemented to prevent the incessant infighting which broke out between the Arab tribes. This was a necessary step to take before he could begin his military campaigns to expand outside Arabia.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 05:09
Well put Sparten. Is there a traditional pakistani alcholic drink?
Well there is traditional mead that is made in the Punjab farmlands come harvest time. And the Chitralis and other N Area people make themselves alcohol out of fruit.

We earn a lot of dough exporting alcohol.

Cheers guys and keep it up.

Edited by Sparten - 26-Feb-2007 at 05:09
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 06:52
Alcohol is an intoxicant, it is one of the most dangerous and devastating drug in existance. If it was invented today it would have been totally outlawed and be a high A class illegal narcotic.

If we all smoked weed or crack for a thousand years I'm sure it would be socially accepted aswell, it doesn't however make it something to be really promoted.

Banning alcohol won't help prevent its usage, only education can.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 08:27
Originally posted by Bulldog

Alcohol is an intoxicant, it is one of the most dangerous and devastating drug in existance. If it was invented today it would have been totally outlawed and be a high A class illegal narcotic.

If we all smoked weed or crack for a thousand years I'm sure it would be socially accepted aswell, it doesn't however make it something to be really promoted.

How does this have to do with the question of why alcohol is forbidden in Islam? This is just your private opinion.

Alcohol, like smoking whatever, if done with reason is not harmful or bad. It is only when misused that it becomes so. Too much of anything is bad: you can kill yourself by drinking too much water as well. And yet nobody wants to prevent us from drinking water.

Cars are causing far more accidents, deaths and problems than alcohol, but no-one keeps carbrands from advertising.

And if education would prevent drinking, you would expect higher educated people to drink less, and yet it is generally university students who drink most.
Besides, education on veneric diseases did nothing to stop people from having sex. Education on alcohol wont stop people from drinking. People like doing things that are nice.
Instead education about drinking, like education on sex, should focus on how to do it safely, rather than on prohibition.

And if people could be stopped from drinking, you would expect the Turks to have done so by now. But they drink as much alcohol as most Europeans. Besides in countries were alcohol is very expensive, (Scandinavia, England, Netherlands) people do not at all drink less.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 26-Feb-2007 at 08:28

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 09:27
FYI. Hope you enjoy it.

best
CV
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcohol and Islam

by Ibrahim B. Syed, Ph. D. 
President
Islamic Research Foundation International, Inc.
7102 W. Shefford Lane
Louisville, KY 40242-6462, U.S.A.

E-mail:
IRFI@INAME.COM
http://WWW.IRFI.ORG

Alcohol is a dangerous drug and a major public health menace in the United States and many other parts of the world.  Drinking alcohol is a disruptive social evil and it has been recognized as such since the beginning of the Islamic era.  Drug abuse is not only an American problem, but also it has become a serious worldwide socio-medical problem. 21st century is witnessing the use of harmful substances as more common in a given society than at any time   Inspite of public education on the dangers of drug dependence, the number of drug-addicts is increasing day by day. The credit goes to Islam for successfully combating and eradicating drug-addiction.

Historically during the Jahiliyya period, in the Arabian Peninsula, brewing of alcohol from dates, grapes, honey and doura or durra (from Indian cereal, sorghum) was generally popular.  Drinking of wine was clearly identified as a troublesome social evil and successfully dealt with. Even after fourteen hundred years, Islam has successfully made its followers to abstain from alcohol, and prohibition of alcohol stands out as extraordinary and almost distinctive in human history.

History

Small but definitely measurable quantities of alcohol are normally present in many parts of the human body: in the liver, brain and blood; from bacteria in the large intestine; and in the muscles.

An ancient Persian legend says that Jamshid, a grape-loving king, stored ripe grapes grown in Shiraz in Fars Province, (which is about 935 km from Tehran) in a cellar so he could enjoy grapes all year long. One day he sent his slaves to fetch him some grapes. When they did not return he decided to go to the cellar himself only to find that the carbon dioxide gas emanating from some bruised fermenting grapes had knocked them out. The king ordered the jars be labeled as  "Poison" One of the king's rejected and distressed mistresses decided to end her life by drinking this poisoned potion, only to leave the cellar singing and dancing in high spirits. The king realized that this fruity liquid had the wonderful and mysterious power to make sad people happy. When Alexander overthrew the powerful Persian Empire he entered Darius's palace in January 330 BCE. During one of the conqueror's orgies soldiers raided the wine cellars. In a drunken moment Alexander ordered the destruction of Persepolis of Persia.

People discovered that alcoholic beverages could be produced from practically any fermentable material: fruits, berries, flowers, honey, the sap of trees, milk and from almost any plant or animal substance containing carbohydrates or sugar. In the tropics, people learned to use the sap of palm trees and cactus. In the Far and Near East and in Europe, they used honey and milk. In the New World, they used corn, barley, wheat, sugar cane, potatoes and a wide variety of other plants.

Ancient civilizations used alcohol to welcome friends and to say goodbye to them. They drank to in honor of new leaders, new years, marriages, births and deaths. People drank to each other's health and to avoid each other's illnesses. They drank to launch ships, to celebrate victory, and to forget the misery and defeat of war. They drank in luxury as a symbol of their wealth and in poverty to forget their hunger. They drank to their gods and to many earthly things.

In 2300 BCE, history records (in the Code of Hammurabi, King of Babylon) a number of price-fixing and dispensing controls of alcoholic beverages. These statutes were directed at pub (inn or tavern) keepers of the time.  Later on in ancient Egypt, the priesthood issued a number of prohibitions (proscriptions) against excess alcohol drinking. Attempts to deal with the problems of excessive drinking were also recorded throughout Persian, Cretan, Arabic, Greek, and Roman history. In ancient Rome   the Romans were heavy drinkers, and the Emperor Domitian ordered the destruction of half the vineyards and forbade additional planting without imperial approval. The rulers of many other countries tried to enact similar restrictions.  No one succeeded in implementing prohibition, and hence prohibition was always repealed.

During the 17th and 18th centuries with the Protestant Reformation   drinking was condemned by the Christian church as sinful and immoral. The preaching of self-control by Calvin and Luther had a profound effect on not only Europe, but upon Colonial America, which pilgrims of these faiths were just settling.

Dates and Grapes

According to the Qur'an, wine was a "device of the devil" hence forbidden but it also states:

And from the fruits of date-palms and grapes, you derive wholesome drink or strong drink (this was before the order of the prohibition of the alcoholic drinks) and also good nourishment (as food), (is healing for mankind).  , Behold, Verily in this also is a Sign for those who are wise (or who understand or who have sense or who ponder)."  

Surah,  An-Nahl  16: 67

This Ayah or verse was revealed during the last Makkan stage of Prophethood.

continues@ http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_101_150/alcohol_and_islam.htm

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 10:23
Aelfgifu
How does this have to do with the question of why alcohol is forbidden in Islam?

Alcohol is an intoxicant

Alcohol is prohibited as a measure to protect and look after the body, there are a number of ruling on issues which inflict harm upon human beings "recommending" us not to indulge in them.

The prohibition of Alcohol is in its own category, it does not fall in such serious areas as gbh, murder etc. It is taught that we should refrain from drinking as it can cause serious problems. If we do drink in privacy, not infront of families, do not drink excessively, do not drink to an extent where we poison ourselves or hurt others then we can be forgiven. However, if you get drunk and kill, hurt or abuse somebody or yourself you were warned and therefore there are no excuses.

Also different school's have different interpretations, Hanafi has the most liberal approach.

Aelfgifu
Alcohol, like smoking whatever, if done with reason is not harmful or bad. It is only when misused that it becomes so. Too much of anything is bad: you can kill yourself by drinking too much water as well. And yet nobody wants to prevent us from drinking water.

A ridiculous comparison. We need water to function, to survive, if we have no access to water we would perish.

Alcohol is an intoxicant, we are choosing to poison our body. If done in moderation and if you don't cause harm to others and yourself there is no problem. However, drinking can cause addiction, it can break up families, some people loose control, you can inflict harm on yourself on others and devastate socities.

So please don't try to compare it to water.

Aelfgifu
Cars are causing far more accidents, deaths and problems than alcohol

Another awfull comparison.

Cars dont kill, human's do. It's our driving which causes accidents and you do realise a high proportion of car deaths are caused by drink driving.

Aelfgifu
And if education would prevent drinking, you would expect higher educated people to drink less, and yet it is generally university students who drink most.

No.
Acedemic learning teaches what you require for your subject. Just because your in education it doesn't mean your any more responsible than anybody else.

I remember having a half an hour talk by a local youth charity in my school about the dangers of drink, drugs and so on, hardly an "education" on the matter.

Besides, education on veneric diseases did nothing to stop people from having sex.

What education? an hour or two across your school-life while the media around you is bombarding you to go and have as much sex as you can.

Education on alcohol wont stop people from drinking. People like doing things that are nice.

It's having an impact on smoking, it can have an impact on drinking. The social problems caused by drink is enormous.

The binge drinking culture is plain and simply "awfull". There is nothing wrong with people having a drink with friends in restaurants having a good time but this binge drinking is disgusting. If this carries on the way it's going I wouldn't be suprised if the authorities started getting tough on alcohol.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 11:56
Well, these are all interesting arguments. Myself, I'm a fairly heavy drinker. I usually have a few drinks a day, and on the weekends it's nice to get a little tight with the guys, or have a few glasses of wine with my girl. But it's good to hear other positions.

So in Islamic countries, from what I can discern, drinking is really only frowned upon, as opposed to being 100% forbidden? If it is forbidden, are there any penalties for drinking?
Cheers.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 12:09
Brian would I be wrong in saying you enjoy your drink and that it's a nice social activity between friends?

Well I think this is fine, it's great to get along and have a good time, I have friends that drink and they're lovely people.

The problem I see today is this fad of "binge drinking", drinking purely just to get drunk, buying the cheapest alcohol on the shelf and getting plastered.

Brian
So in Islamic countries, from what I can discern, drinking is really only frowned upon, as opposed to being 100% forbidden? If it is forbidden, are there any penalties for drinking?
Cheers.

It all depends where you go.

I think outside Iran and Saudi Arabia you can drink in most majority muslim countries. Saying that, there's some Saudi's who love their drink and there's alot of small time Al-Capone's across Iran selling alcohol Wink
Albert Pine

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 17:04
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Well, these are all interesting arguments. Myself, I'm a fairly heavy drinker. I usually have a few drinks a day, and on the weekends it's nice to get a little tight with the guys, or have a few glasses of wine with my girl. But it's good to hear other positions.

Cheers.
Well in Iran for example it is forbidden but the biggest, greatest smuggle product from Turkey to Iran is alcohol drink and drugs :D

ARTE tv from France filmed once on the Turkish - Iran border those smuggle operations :)
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by DayI

Cheers.
Well in Iran for example it is forbidden but the biggest, greatest smuggle product from Turkey to Iran is alcohol drink and drugs :D

ARTE tv from France filmed once on the Turkish - Iran border those smuggle operations :)

It may be true for alcohol, but for drugs it would be Afghanistan.

Abstinance from pork and drink are still a dominant feature in Muslim countries, with a very few countries supporting open public bars. Most outlets are for foreigners/tourists etc.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:16
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

How does this have to do with the question of why alcohol is forbidden in Islam? This is just your private opinion.

Cars are causing far more accidents, deaths and problems than alcohol, but no-one keeps carbrands from advertising.

Besides, education on veneric diseases did nothing to stop people from having sex. Education on alcohol wont stop people from drinking. People like doing things that are nice.
Instead education about drinking, like education on sex, should focus on how to do it safely, rather than on prohibition.

And if people could be stopped from drinking, you would expect the Turks to have done so by now. But they drink as much alcohol as most Europeans. Besides in countries were alcohol is very expensive, (Scandinavia, England, Netherlands) people do not at all drink less.

85% of University students are not educated.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:31

The problem I see today is this fad of "binge drinking", drinking purely just to get drunk, buying the cheapest alcohol on the shelf and getting plastered.

Why is that a problem? Being drunk is fun-but not every day! People are more social and happy! What's wrong with people getting drunk on the weekends after a hard week?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:37
Adalwolf, I think this divide is one of the big cultural differences between a traditionally Islamic east and a traditionally Christian west. Alcohol is the central substance in the Christian mysteries (along side with the wafers; you know, the Transubstantiation), and us such, there is not much justification for the demonization of the recreational use of alcohol in the west. Can you imagine the argument?

That said, why did Muhammed (or God, depending on your beliefs) view alcohol consumption as a problem when the Qur'an was being compiled? Do many Muslims drink openly? I know many Muslims myself, but few, if any, who openly imbibe alcohol.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 20:04

Adalwolf, I think this divide is one of the big cultural differences between a traditionally Islamic east and a traditionally Christian west. Alcohol is the central substance in the Christian mysteries (along side with the wafers; you know, the Transubstantiation), and us such, there is not much justification for the demonization of the recreational use of alcohol in the west. Can you imagine the argument?

That said, why did Muhammed (or God, depending on your beliefs) view alcohol consumption as a problem when the Qur'an was being compiled? Do many Muslims drink openly? I know many Muslims myself, but few, if any, who openly imbibe alcohol.

The Bible looks down upon getting drunk, it does not forbid alcohol outright, but there are qoutes of Jesus(pbuh) commenting negatively on drinking. Wine was a common drink such as water, it was not as strong as it is today, nor used to get drunk on all ocassions, wine was used in water to kill of bacteria and make water safer to drink, thus greatly reducing the alcohol content and potential of intoxication. However, the act of being drunk was looked down upon.

Drunkenness is clearly a sin (I Timothy 3:8).

The Apostle Paul warns us that we should not be drunk with wine, wherein is excess ( Ephesians 5:18).

"But if that servant says to himself, My master is delayed in coming, and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, to eat and drink and get drunk, then that servants master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the unfaithful" (Lk 12:45-46).

"let us conduct ourselves properly as in the day, not in orgies and drunkenness" (Rom 13:13)

"But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard" (1 Cor 5:11).

"nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 6:10).

"occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God" (Gal 5:21).

"And do not get drunk on wine, in which lies debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18).

"For the time that has passed is sufficient for doing what the Gentiles like to do: living in debauchery, evil desires, drunkenness" (1 Pet 4:3).

"Therefore, a bishop must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money" (1 Tim 3:2-3).

"Similarly, deacons must be dignified, not deceitful, not addicted to drink, not greedy for sordid gain" (1 Tim 3:8).

"Similarly, older women should be reverent in their behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to drink, teaching what is good" (Tit 2:3).

I am muslim, and I used to drink openly, however, I stopped drinking serveral months ago for personal reasons. There are a lot of muslims that drink openly, Turks, Bosnians, Albanians, and other ethnicities as well.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 04:26

Aelfgifu
How does this have to do with the question of why alcohol is forbidden in Islam?

Alcohol is an intoxicant

Alcohol is prohibited as a measure to protect and look after the body, there are a number of ruling on issues which inflict harm upon human beings "recommending" us not to indulge in them.

The prohibition of Alcohol is in its own category, it does not fall in such serious areas as gbh, murder etc. It is taught that we should refrain from drinking as it can cause serious problems. If we do drink in privacy, not infront of families, do not drink excessively, do not drink to an extent where we poison ourselves or hurt others then we can be forgiven. However, if you get drunk and kill, hurt or abuse somebody or yourself you were warned and therefore there are no excuses.

Also different school's have different interpretations, Hanafi has the most liberal approach.

Well, that is fair enough.

Aelfgifu

A ridiculous comparison. We need water to function, to survive, if we have no access to water we would perish.

Alcohol is an intoxicant, we are choosing to poison our body. If done in moderation and if you don't cause harm to others and yourself there is no problem. However, drinking can cause addiction, it can break up families, some people loose control, you can inflict harm on yourself on others and devastate socities.

So please don't try to compare it to water.

Of course we do need water and not alcohol, it was not meant too seriously. You can kill yourself by drinking too much water you know...Wink Drink about 6 litres too fast and you are a goner: Too much water dilutes the salt-levels in your body too much and will stop the electrical currents in your brain from working.

And yes, alcohol can be addictive. But out of the millions and millions of people who drink, most do not get addicted. I don't know any addicted people, and almost anybody I know drinks at least two nights a week. To judge all these millions by the few who cannot cope is unfair.

Aelfgifu
Cars are causing far more accidents, deaths and problems than alcohol

Another awfull comparison.

Cars dont kill, human's do. It's our driving which causes accidents and you do realise a high proportion of car deaths are caused by drink driving.

Cars dont kill, humans do, guns dont kill, humans do, alcohol does not kill, humans do. True, and exactly my point. Alcohol, like cars, is neutral. (unlike guns, which are made to kill and therefore evil). Speeding is the number one cause of car accidents, ignoring red light is second, drinking is third. And yet, I looked up the figures, and on a given Weekend-night (when drunk-driving should be the biggest problem), only 3.9% of all drivers had drunk. (This is just The Netherlands, it could be very different in other countries). 

Aelfgifu

No.
Acedemic learning teaches what you require for your subject. Just because your in education it doesn't mean your any more responsible than anybody else.

It is my conviction that there is not a single person who is smart enough to do university, who does not know what downsides there are to alcohol. They know, they just dont care. No education of any kind will change that. 

Besides, education on veneric diseases did nothing to stop people from having sex.

What education? an hour or two across your school-life while the media around you is bombarding you to go and have as much sex as you can.

I am sorry your educational system failed you, but we did get proper education on the subject. Not just two hours, but a whole project over several weeks. Not only focusing on 'technical' bits but also on how to say no, how to respect your own body and the importance of love as opposed to sex.

Education on alcohol wont stop people from drinking. People like doing things that are nice.

It's having an impact on smoking, it can have an impact on drinking. The social problems caused by drink is enormous.

The binge drinking culture is plain and simply "awfull". There is nothing wrong with people having a drink with friends in restaurants having a good time but this binge drinking is disgusting. If this carries on the way it's going I wouldn't be suprised if the authorities started getting tough on alcohol.

You are right, binge-drinking is awful. But to completely prohibit alcohol (which is what we were talking about), because a few cannot deal with it is weird. To make the car comparison (I know you dont buy it, but I like it Tongue), there are a few people who will never learn to drive safely and resposibly. This does not mean we should prohibit cars for the rest of the population, does it?

I know binge-drinking is big in the UK, but that does not mean everybody else does it...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>