Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writers from your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writers from your country
    Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:25
Well, I'm a literature major, so I'm curious to see what you all have to say. For my country (America), I believe the best writer to have been Ernest Hemingway. Pure preference, but there are thousands of other American writers that I enjoy.

Since I am part German, I get to comment on that country as well. Herman Hesse, hands down. Anyone who's read "Narcissus and Goldmund" will know exactly what I mean. And "The Journey to the East" has been accepted into the canon of Western Fiction.

Since I'm also part Italian, I also get to comment on that beautiful nation's literature as well. Dante Alighieri's Divina Comedia is my favorite, though I can't say I've read many other Italian writers.

So, come on out and tell me some great writers from other countries. I've read much of the canon of British and American literature, and I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit.
Cheers.

Edited by Brian J Checco - 23-Feb-2007 at 12:26
DocStaph View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DocStaph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 13:30
Mir Ghulam Muhammad Ghobar
The one and only famous, crediable historian in Afghanistan. A man of who stood for truth and imprisoned for his thoughts repeatedly. Ghobar was a strong advocate of justice, civil liberties and above all Truth. He believed in policies needed for  censorship

Afghanistan dar Masir-e Tarikh (Afghanistan in the Course of History) published in 1967

here are some of his published works..

(1943) Tarikh-i Ahmad Shah Baba

(1947) Khurasan 

(1947) Qurun-e Ula 

(1947) Afghanistan ba yak Nazar 

(1967) Afghanistan dar Masir-e Tarikh, volume I 

(1999) Afghanistan dar Masir-e Tarikh, volume II

Some of these books may have been lost, burned, and some maybe found in Kabul. But they are written in Dari, and awhile back english translations were avaiable on his History of Afghanistan book, but i have yet to claim one.
There are a few others i want to mention as wellSmile
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:01
I can advice trying "The Discovery of Heaven" by Harry Mulisch. It is one of the most famous Dutch books of the past 20 years and it has been translated to dozens of languages. As far as I can tell your interests, I think you will like it very very much. It is a story of how the powers of heaven decide humankind is not worthy of the Word and decide to take it back, but first they have to "create" a human who can do that for them. It is fantastic.

I also believe we have some of the best childrens books writers in our country, like Thea Beckman, Evert Hartman, and Tonke Dragt.

As for English literature, I like 19th century lit. Like Jane Austen, Oscar Wilde and Dickens. I have not read much American literature. I had to read Cather in the Rye in school, and I found it increadibly boring at the time... perhaps I should re-read...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 23-Feb-2007 at 14:03

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:54
hahaha Harry mulisch is for univeristy men to read its literature

Thea Beckman is indeed an good writer but it are all childeren books

last I read one book of here for an book report on the beginning it was nice but later on it annoyed me for it was for childeren

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:58
I had to read Mulisch in school... It is a big book, but not at all hard to read. I like childrens books personally. They are often more fun than adult books. I particulary like Dianne Wynne Jones and Jonathan Stroud.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 15:25
hahahahahah you had to read mullisch what school you sat then
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 16:17
First havo, then I did vwo on another school so I could put it on my list again. Two for one...Big%20smile 

I like Mulisch, I read a lot of his books. (I had to read a total of 50 books Dutch literature for school, I must say that most Dutch literature is intensely boring, but Mulisch is quite fun)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 17:02
From my country, Chile, some writers known abroad are:

Isabel Allende (The house of spirits) The most famous.

Roberto Bolao
Luis Sepulveda
Jose Donoso
Ariel Dorfman
Vicente Huidobro

And two winners of the Nobel Price:

Pablo Neruda
Gabriela Mistral

Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 17:11
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

First havo, then I did vwo on another school so I could put it on my list again. Two for one...Big%20smile 

I like Mulisch, I read a lot of his books. (I had to read a total of 50 books Dutch literature for school, I must say that most Dutch literature is intensely boring, but Mulisch is quite fun)

wow Big%20smile you must be or an very hard worker or an smart adult

yes the most dutch literature is very boring

ok you like Harry mullisch I like Shakespeare

Edited by Top Gun - 23-Feb-2007 at 17:13
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 17:58
Brian I would have to disagree with you about Hemingway being the be all and end all of American literature. In my eyes although Hemingway is in the top 5 of American writers I would argue that Edgar Allen Poe would be the top American author.

I personally prefer Brit Lit though especially the likes of Hardy, Dickens, and Kipling. My favorite writer although happens to be the Anglo-Irish playwright Martin MacDonaugh. I am such a fan of his because his characters are so real and he really captures the nuances and minor differences between the good and the bad. Case in point his plays "The Pillowman" and "The Beauty Queen of Lenane."
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 18:08
Matthew Reilly writes some excellent books...but be sure you have your seatbelt on before you start reading!...if you get my gist
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 19:50
Borges, anyone? Any takers? He's probably my favorite writer of all-time. He's Argentinian, and I consider the man to be a modern-day Homer.

John, the only reason I prefer Hemingway, is, as I said before, taste. I am also a huge fan of John Steinbeck. Hell, I love so many authors, I'd have a hard-time naming them all.

For German writers, I also really like Johann Wolfgang Goethe. The Sorrows of Young Werther is a damn fine read.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 20:19
Well, the post writers from "your" country.

Now, I agree, Borges was an extraordinary writer of fantastic tales. I don't believe he is a modern day "Homer", because Homer didn't have that imagination.  Now, Borges is a "metaphysical" philosopher rather than an average writer. Perhaps Phillip K. Dick was so nut as him, although Borges just need a short story to express an universe.

Pinguin

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 22:00
Pinguin, do you know this faboulous writter from your country named Patricio Manns?

In French I'd say my favourite writters are:
Laclos (Dangerous liason), Stendhal (The Chartehouse of Parma), Moliere (the Misanthropist), Jean Cocteau, Pierre Mac Orlan, Simenon and Jean-Jacques Schulze.
I am a free donkey!
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 15:13
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, the post writers from "your" country.

Now, I agree, Borges was an extraordinary writer of fantastic tales. I don't believe he is a modern day "Homer", because Homer didn't have that imagination.  Now, Borges is a "metaphysical" philosopher rather than an average writer. Perhaps Phillip K. Dick was so nut as him, although Borges just need a short story to express an universe.

Pinguin

Borges is so ridiculously imaginative and concise that every time I read one of his stories, I have to close the book, and sit and meditate for about half an hour. His works just destroy my pre-conceptions about the material world about me, one word at a time. A remarkable, destructive, lovely experience every single time.
Cheers.

PS- Anyone read any Celine? I'm about to jump into Journey to the End of the Night. I'm a bit intimidated.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Pinguin, do you know this faboulous writter from your country named Patricio Manns?

Patricio Manns, the composer?

Actually, it is not very famous as a writer in here. As far as I know. Sorry.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

PS- Anyone read any Celine? I'm about to jump into Journey to the End of the Night. I'm a bit intimidated.

Don't be. In my opinion it didn't age very well.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 17:36
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Borges is so ridiculously imaginative and concise that every time I read one of his stories, I have to close the book, and sit and meditate for about half an hour. His works just destroy my pre-conceptions about the material world about me, one word at a time. A remarkable, destructive, lovely experience every single time.
Cheers.

I read an essay of an argentinean scholar, called Carlos Abraham, about Borges. He says Borges great masters were SF and terror writers, particularly H.G. Wells, C.S. Lewis (space series) and Lovecraft, authors that he admired very much. However, Borges insisted in converting every idea into the classical literary cannon.

That's why is so surprise in his story "Tlon, Uqbar, Ordis Tertius", the reader makes a "space travel" to a very distant planet, called Tlon. But he does not need space ships to do it, but just reading a book.

Borges was a genious. It is so sad he never received the Nobel prize that he deserved.

Penguin

Edited by pinguin - 24-Feb-2007 at 17:38
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 19:33
Originally posted by pinguin

Borges was a genious. It is so sad he never received the Nobel prize that he deserved.

He was genious indeed, but I wouldn't say he was writer. He was a kindof "thinker" whereas his writing skills were not somewhat special. Which does not make his stories less interesting. IMHO.

My country is not famous by its writers but we have some good as well. From classic ones I would name Ivan Vazov and Elin Pelin. From modern ones the best is Teodora Dimova and her novel "Emine".
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 01:09
... Borges not a 'special' writer? Wow, friend... aren't 'thinkers' and 'writers' supposed to be synonymous? Or has this post-modernist cluster f*ck outsourced that too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>