Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Genghis and Hitler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genghis and Hitler
    Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 21:18
i find it interesting that many people somewhat admire genghis khan, but saying the same of hitler would be horrble (i am in no way a hitler sympathizer, i'm just trying to make a point here)

they were both ruthless conquerors who killed millions in the course of their wars.

so what makes it ok to think genghis is cool but hitler is the devil incarnate

is it just that the memory of hitler is too recent...
hitler did commit the holocaust, one of the most horrific things ever commited by human beings...but genghis khan slaughtered entire civilizations because he felt like it
is it better to kill indiscriminately than to kill for a (very very disturbed) personal belief?
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:16
Well, lets see.  Most civilizations admire their great Emperors or Conquerers because those men gave their nations something to be proud of, despite the massacre of millions.  Napoleon is also a good example.   The trick for getting admired instead of demonized is basically WIN THE DAMN WAR!  If Hitler won his war, you and I would probably be speaking in German and shouting Sieg Heil

PS:  Napoleon didn't really win the whole war but hey, it took a coalition bring him down.  So I guess it is acceptable to the French.

Edited by El_Bandito
I'm awake, I'm awake.
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 00:17
Win most of the battles.. interesting
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 12:15
well it's simple, Chinggis Qaan was a person that had a good personality, he created stable environment due to his wars and his laws which an even be cosnidered democratic. Hitler however had the intention to kill people he doesn't like, before the war he even categorized the kind of people he would kill because he thougth of them to be inferior. Napoleon has already been mentioned, the win-the-war theory can therefore be dismissed...
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:27

Well, Genghis did spread Chinese culture and create a Pax Mongolica, and in general the mongol states were civilization spreading and not the anti-civilization of the Nazis.

I personally admire Genghis, hence my username.

Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:40

he was no worse than any other steppe or even settled comunity conqueror in how he behaved, he was only more sucessfull.  LAso remember most of Mongol history is written by the unhappy losers, The great Khan also advanced government and trade in ways ahead of his time which Hitler did not.  Also the people the Khan killed was either through the haphazard of war or through strategic example, very different than the targeted execution of people based on ethnicity.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:01
The extent of the killing and destruction is distorted by sheer size of the conquests. Julius Caesar killed a million men in Gaul, which wasn't as much, but considering how Gaul wasn't as heavily populated as China or Kwarezm, the percentage was almost comparable. Genghis Khan was no more cruel than any other barbarian leader. If you were to replace him with another leader of his time, like Richard the Lionhearted, the amount of destruction would have been the same.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:18
Some historians, especially french, claim novadays that the number 1.000.000 of gauls that died during 10 years of Caesars conquest of Gaul is much bigger than real number of casualties.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 22:47
I don't think Genghis is as bad as Hitler. I'll admit sometimes he does have some strange views and he is this forum's resident right wing nutter. But he does know a lot about invading Russia, he's not Welsh and I'm sure he's nice to his mother. Now if it's was Genghis and Pol Pot... hmmm
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 16:45

Originally posted by Paul

I don't think Genghis is as bad as Hitler. I'll admit sometimes he does have some strange views and he is this forum's resident right wing nutter. But he does know a lot about invading Russia, he's not Welsh and I'm sure he's nice to his mother. Now if it's was Genghis and Pol Pot... hmmm

Thank you, when I am world overlord, you shall be justly rewarded.

Member of IAEA
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 17:51
haha i realized after i posted the topic that maybe i should have called it "genghis khan and hitler"....just so our own genghis didn't think that i was comparing him to hitler
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:07
Haha, it's okay, I'm not so egotistical that when I see the word Genghis, I automatically assume it's me.  If I ever do, somebody either slap me or make me spend less time on AE.
Member of IAEA
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 16:52

Originally posted by Genghis

Haha, it's okay, I'm not so egotistical that when I see the word Genghis, I automatically assume it's me. 

If that's true then maybe you're not cut out for world rule.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 18:29
many times the true world rule ego does not come until the power has been achieved.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 19:14
Oh believe me, I already have the ego, but I'll go by my real name, and not my AE one.
Member of IAEA
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 00:52

Originally posted by Murph

i find it interesting that many people somewhat admire genghis khan, but saying the same of hitler would be horrble (i am in no way a hitler sympathizer, i'm just trying to make a point here)

If by "many people" you mean people outside this forum I am not the above statement is correct.

Regardless, if Hilter was concerned about public relation he sure picked on the wrong group of people

Monkeydust View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monkeydust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:24

Perhaps it simply has something to do with different eras in which the two men lived.

Genghis was around in an age when a "proper" ruler was expected, or at least not condemned, for invading expansive territories and killing a few innocents in the process. He is not vilified, perhaps, because he was simply doing the "norm" of his epoch.

Hitler, on the other hand, inhabited a world where first-world states were expected to be at least bearable, if sometimes oppressive, places to live. His imperial aims, or raher the fact that he acted upon them, were quite unique. And, moreover, his killing was so sytematic and predetermined that many just find it chilling.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 10:05

The Matter, that one lived in the middle ages and the other in the modern era, makes the unarguable difference. In the middle ages, killing was a part of life and it was also in honor. People were in a way used to the annual raids and massacres commited by their opponents. It was a natural loss, that a certain percentage of your people were lost due to war. There was also no nationalism and blind hate towards the attacker so people did not feel the same feelings as they do today against strangers, those being the invaders.

Killing was a normal sight for the midlleages. Without it, life couldn't be imagined. A war was one of the few easy ways to keep your people alive.

These days, wars have turned into atrocities for the people and therefore, Hitler is worse, because to enter a war in this era, it takes a more disturbed person.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 15:44
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The Matter, that one lived in the middle ages and the other in the modern era, makes the unarguable difference. In the middle ages, killing was a part of life and it was also in honor. People were in a way used to the annual raids and massacres commited by their opponents. It was a natural loss, that a certain percentage of your people were lost due to war. There was also no nationalism and blind hate towards the attacker so people did not feel the same feelings as they do today against strangers, those being the invaders.

Killing was a normal sight for the midlleages. Without it, life couldn't be imagined. A war was one of the few easy ways to keep your people alive.

These days, wars have turned into atrocities for the people and therefore, Hitler is worse, because to enter a war in this era, it takes a more disturbed person.

During the times of ancient Greece the same 'ideas' of human rights existed as today. So perhaps westerners at least have no excuse. Similarly Confusionism and Budhism was well eastblished in the far east so they can't be let off the hook either.

And I think the 20th century has proven worse than any prior century for inhumanity. So I think Hitler & Stalin are on a level playing field with medieval kings, Roman & Chinese emperors when it comes to us judging them.

Edited by Paul

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:07
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

If you would be able to ask Genghis victims I'm sure they'd rather want killing not to be normal.

Besides, if we want to learn from mistakes made in history we'd surely not say "It was normal back then, so it was not bad."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>