Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vlad Dracula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vlad Dracula
    Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 21:14

Most don't know this man,and those who do know,shudder at the name.Vlad Dracula was born in 1431.He may have been one of the only reasons that the Pope maintained control of Europe through religion,in my opinion.He was the one who fought against the Ottoman Turks,and protected his kingdom of Wallachia.He did many grisly things though in order to maintain his kingdom,including impaling people and drinking their blood,hence the name that Bram Stoker gave Dracula,that was Vlad's last name in terms of some languages.

He is actually the figure modeled after Bram Stoker's popular character.Wallachia is in present day southern Romania,and is actually considered a national hero.Vlad's real last name is Tepes.It is said that many step on his grave from time to time,because of his sins,and murder of thousands of innocent people.

In Honor
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 01:52
Wasn't "Tepes" a nickname meaning "the impaler"?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 04:08

the people he drank their blood are turkish or his own people?

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 04:20

Originally posted by Serge L

Wasn't "Tepes" a nickname meaning "the impaler"?

yes Tepes means impaler(i think the word Tepes may be Hungarian)

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 04:46

Well there're obvious exaggerations about his life. He didn't "drink blood" but he used to impale Turkish prisoners in order to terrorize their comrades.

Of course that wasn't anything new at that era. Impaling was the official method of execution in the Ottoman empire.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 11:39
I always thought Drakula was a titular name that meant "of the Dragon" and had something to do with a secret society or a Patriarchal position held by the 1st born sons of his family.  Please correct me if I am wrong.... 
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 11:45

i think Dracul was his father's nickname

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 13:37

Originally posted by pytheas

I always thought Drakula was a titular name that meant "of the Dragon" and had something to do with a secret society or a Patriarchal position held by the 1st born sons of his family.  Please correct me if I am wrong.... 

I have heard the same.I think it also meant Devil or something.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 14:11
I think word "drakula" is coming from "drakona" which  means "the dragon". Also his name Vlad  is slav and is coming from "Vladislav" which can be translate like "Rule and glory". 
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 21:54
Here are their respective names.
Dracul=the dragon(the father)  Dracula=little dragon(Vlad the son)

Vlad love to impale ANYONE, whether you are a turkish POW or a begger in the streets.
I'm awake, I'm awake.
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 22:07
You do know that when they found his tombsite,his body wasn't in it,right?.....He was decapitated though by an Ottoman,and killed in battle.Maybe a graverobber stromed his tomb..or....hehe

In Honor
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 01:13

BOO! 

Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 11:28
Originally posted by El_Bandito

Here are their respective names.
Dracul=the dragon(the father)  Dracula=little dragon(Vlad the son)

Vlad love to impale ANYONE, whether you are a turkish POW or a begger in the streets.

I've read the same.
I'd like to add that in the source I've seen they say that "-ulea" was a suffix that meant "son of", then Draculea (Dracula) would be "Son of Dracul" or "Son of the dragon".

It seems he was the impaler kind, but there are also other interesting things. Here is a quite good biography I've found (longer and more serious than most around the internet).
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~emiller/VladT.htm
Hola.
Inquisitor Dei View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Inquisitor Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 11:45
He was an interesting character. Obiously he earned his nickname "Impaler" for some reason. Wether he really drank blood or not, one can't really tell. If so, he and the hungarian countess Erzsebet "Vampire" Bathory would make quite a couple!
"I am the way, the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father but through me."

--John 14:6
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 19:07
Originally posted by azimuth

i think Dracul was his father's nickname

And I thought Dracula meant son of Dracul.
Papillon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Papillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 20:01
^It does, I think.

IIRC, his father was given a place in an order by the Pope or someone equally influential, called the order of the Dragon, hence the nickname Dracul. Dracula does  mean son of the Dragon, hence the name.

Granted, I did hear/read all of this ages ago, and it might be wrong....
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:41
Well, it could be true... I know that the Dracul family was very often embroiled in wars with the Ottomans, and thereby considered a valuable player against the Muslims by the Catholic Church.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 17:20
Vlad impailed anyone he wanted to, regardless of nationality.  Remember he switched sides alot one minute pro Ottoman the next anti.  He was raised as a hostage in the Turkish court and supposedly was the ...ehm, sex toy of the Sultans son while he was there.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:04
Drakul is Dragon or Devil in Romanian. Vlad's father's nickname was Drakul, being that he was a member of a secrct sort of cult, or group of warriors.

Drakula means Son of The Dragon, or Son of the Devil.

Tepes means Impaler in either Hungarian or Romanian.
Vlad was actually born in Transalvania, but ruled in Walachia(a neighboring region)

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 00:03

He is a fascinating character, though. Bram Stoker's novel, and later, Coppola's movie caught my eye. I really have to go to Romania sometime just to be there.

PS - I'm not talking about the Dracula Park, of course.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>