Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Muslim Women Leaders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Muslim Women Leaders
    Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 15:59
The following are three Muslim women who gained power in their respective countries and are still leaders.

Benazir Bhutto- She was, for two terms, prime minister of Pakistan. She was accused of corruption and is now living in exile in the United Arab Emirates with her three children and is the Chairperson of Pakistans opposition Peoples Party.

Benazir Bhutto

Sheikh Hasina Wajed - She was prime minister of Bangladesh and the daughter of an assassinated statesman (just like Bhutto). Her father led Bangladesh to independence in 1971. Her party (Awami League) restored democracy after a military coup and improved relationships with India.

Sheikh Hasina Wajed is the one placing the wreath

Suzanne Mubarak - She is the wife of President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt. She is very active in childrens issues and education. She has spoken about health care issues, improving reading habits, and expanding public library systems for children. She is head of Egypts delegation to the 23rd UN General Assembly special session on women.

Suzanne Mubarak

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 00:01
1) Benezir has ridden to two terms on her fathers popularity. A disaster if we ever knew one.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 15:29
Ayesha Iman of Nigeria - She is an avid defender of womens rights in Muslim laws and practices, and particularly for her work against the discriminatory and restrictive forms that the new Sharia Criminal laws in Nigeria have taken. She is the 2002 recipient of the John Humphrey Freedom Award presented to her by the BAOBAB for Womens Human Rights. Her work with BAOBAB also supports women to fight or redress rights violations (i.e. forced marriages, domestic violence, custody and guardianship rights for their children, etc.)

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 15:44
Mahnaz Afkhami of Iran

In the Islamic world, she is the leading proponent of womens rights. She is exiled in the United States and serves on the boards and steering committees of several international organizations (World Movement for Democracy, Commission on Globalization, Global Fund for Women, International League for Human Rights, Womans Human Rights). She is president of Womens Learning Partnership (WLP), executive director of the foundation for Iranian Studies, she chaired the English department at the National University of Iran, founded the Association of Iranian University Women and served as secretary general of the Womens Organization of Iran and minister of state for womens affairs prior to the Islamic revolution.

"Morty

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 15:47
Shirin Ebadi is an Iranian lawyer, human rights activist and founder of Children's Rights Support Association in Iran. On December 10, 2003, Ebadi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her significant and pioneering efforts for democracy and human rights, especially women and children rights. She is the first Iranian and the first Muslim woman to receive the prize.

Edited by sirius99 - 22-Feb-2007 at 15:49
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 16:06
Seriously.. I cant... find anyone from my country... seriously... who can be considered as the leader of muslim women in here? QuestionErmm

Here is a link tht can give some of the info...

Edited by cahaya - 13-Mar-2007 at 16:09
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 16:35
Originally posted by cahaya

Seriously.. I cant... find anyone from my country...seriously... who can be considered as the leader of muslim women in here? QuestionErmm

Here is a link tht can give some of the info...

Well, Cahaya. You seem to be doing a very good job of representing Muslim women in AE, so I consider you to be the woman Muslim leader here!
"Morty

Mortazaa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mortazaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 16:45
I hope you wont find any data about turkey and our fomous woman leader.Ermm
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 16:49
i mean 'in here' is my country.. not here... here 'AE'. maybe i picked up a wrong word.. some kind of misunderstanding...
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 15:34

i mean 'in here' is my country.. not here... here 'AE'. maybe i picked up a wrong word.. some kind of misunderstanding...

I understood you before, Cahaya. I just thought that, since you could not think of any woman in your country, you should represent the typical Malaysian muslim woman here at "AE". It was a joke!
"Morty

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by Mortazaa

R you talking about tansu?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 13:30
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Originally posted by Mortazaa

R you talking about tansu?

Yes, I believe he is referring to Ciller Tansu, the once Prime Minister of Turkey (who was not very popular)!
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 16:43
i'm still thinking of who can be considered as the leader of Malaysian Muslim women... i dont have a clue.... this is so funny.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 15:50

i'm still thinking ofwho can be considered as theleaderof Malaysian Muslim women... i dont have a clue.... this is so funny.

Here's one, Cahaya:

As of Monday, March 19th, 2007, a dental consultant became the first woman to hold the rank of Brigadier-General in the Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF). Dr. Roshidah Ishak received the Brigadier-Generals star at a special event. She was also the first Malaysian woman to hold the rank of Colonel in 1988. Here is a quote from her:
"I feel proud and touched by the conferment of the rank and I hope this conferment can encourage other women members (in the MAF) to be more inspired in carrying out their duties.Dr. Roshidah Ishak

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=252079

"Morty

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 16:00

Tansu iller

Tansu%20iller
Tansu iller

Tansu iller (IPA: /ˈtɑn.su.ˈtʃil.lɛɹ/ (born 9 October 1946) is an economist and politician in Turkey. She was Turkey's first and to date only female prime minister.

She was born in Istanbul and graduated from the School of Economics at Robert College after finishing the American College for Girls of Istanbul. iller received her Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut and completed later on her postdoctoral studies at Yale University. In 1978, she became a lecturer and in 1983 a professor.

After teaching at several universities as a professor, she entered politics in November 1990 joining the True Path Party. She was first elected to parliament in 1991 as deputy of Istanbul and served as Minister of State in charge of economics in the coalition government of Suleyman Demirel. On June 13, 1993, she became party leader and then prime minister of a coalition government. The withdrawal of the Republican People's Party from coalition in 1996 brought down her government.

She was investigated in the Turkish Parliament on serious corruption accusations following her period in government. Along with Mesut Yılmaz she was later cleared for all the charges mainly due to technicalities such as statue of limitation and political immunity. Many in Turkey believe that such charges played an important role in the emergence of political Islam in Turkey, that eventually led to the victory of the present government of Recep T. Erdoğan.

After the election defeat in November 2002, she retired from political life.

She is married to zer iller and they have two children.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 15:38

She could be the oldest Muslim Woman leader so far in this thread - She's Al-Khayzuran bint Atta - one of the Yemeni concubines of the Abbasid Caliph Al-Mahdi. She held great power over the young Harun Al-Rashid. She died in 789 and is believed to have been the key inspiration behind that character of Scheherazade in Arabian Nights.

...There's also Roxana - the wife of Suleyman the magnificent (one of the most famous Ottoman Sultans around roughly 1550). She was the first offical "wife" of an Ottoman sultan rather than concubine. She killed off many of Suleyman's previous children (such as Cihangir, who she hired a deaf, blind and dumb mute to strange, so they say...) and held an extraordinary amount of power in the court. She was the first recognized "Sultina" of the Ottoman empire.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 21:56
Spray-of-Pearls the first sultanah of the mamluke dynasty. After her husbands (the last Ayyobid sultan of Egypt) death just before the battle with the crusader Louis the Pious's army, she was elected sultan(ah) by the mamlukes.

She led the muslims to victory over the crusader army and later married Aibek.

But of course the muslim woman leader is the Mother of Believers, the prophets wife Aisha (pbuh). 
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 14:54
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

...But of course the muslim woman leader is the Mother of Believers, the prophets wife Aisha (pbuh).

Can you tell us a little bit more about Aisha, Omar? Why is she considered the muslim woman leader? Just curious!

Edited by morticia - 23-Jul-2007 at 14:54
"Morty

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2007 at 14:08
Well Afghanistan has seen many like Nazo Ana (mother of the founder of Afghanistan, Ahmad Shah Baba), Malalai (motivator of the freedom fighters in the victorous Battle of Maiwand) and recently after the regim of Taliban where the rights of women was demolished and women was not even permissioned to study, comes a brave lady by the name of Malalai Joya.

She is the lady who has taken stance infront of the cruel warlords, women and human rights abusers and the drug mafia who have a strong grip over the country.

She is a member of Afghan Parliment and due to her controversial statements against the warlords, she is known as a shame to Afghan women by the warlord, who themselves don't know that she is not a shame to Afghan women but they themselves are shame for the pride of the word AFGHAN.

More about her could be found here.

Post Reply Post Reply