Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Resurrection!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resurrection!
    Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 00:34

I take great joy in being first to start a thread here in East Asia section!

Ironically I will start the very same thread I started right before the old site blew up.

Basically, Ch'ang-an the captial of Sui and Tang, I want to know more about it and what happened to it and where it is now.  Thank you in advance.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 06:45

Ch'ang-an, or Chang'an, or whatever, is the present day Xi'an the capital of the Shaanxi/Shan-hsi province.

Shaanxi:

Edited by Bryan
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 11:33

It's good to see Allempires back ^^

Grrr..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:37

But is there still a large city there?  What lies by the old captial?

Originally posted by Bryan

Ch'ang-an, or Chang'an, or whatever, is the present day Xi'an the capital of the Shaanxi/Shan-hsi province.

Shaanxi:

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Liu Ce View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Liu Ce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 15:17
I beleave there is still a city called Chang An there.
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 17:45

On the pretty much every current map of China that I can find, Xi'an is what is there now... but as I haven't actually been there...

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 21:00

During the Tang dynasty, Chang An was a huge city with dimentions 9.5km east-west and 8.5km north-south with a population of more than a million

today, as Xian, it's a capital of the Shanxi province, with area of 9,983 sq. km and population of 2.3 million

Edited by I/eye
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 18:38
The modern city of Xi'an is smaller than the old city of Chang'an, that's why Xi'an is located far deep inside the old city walls
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 21:17

Chang'an or Changan ( 长安 ) was the capital of the Western Han. It is about 10 km northwest present day Xi'an ( 西安 ), in the Shaanxi Province, and 2 km south of the Weishui River. Its pretty close to the Qin's capital which is north of Weishui. There were actually many palaces in the Western Han, but only three Emperor's really consturcted on the city.

First was obivously Liu Bang (刘邦, the founder of Han), he made the palace Changlegong ( 长乐宫 ), which although kinda counterdictory to what I said, but it was a futher expasion of one of the Qin Palaces [Xinglegong 兴乐宫(I'm guessing like the palace of Jianzhanggong it was built outside the city, you'll here about Jianzhanggong later)]. He also later made another one called Weiyanggong ( 未央宫 ), which was to the west of Changlegong, in between the two palaces he builds an armory.

Then Liu Bang's son Liu Ying ( 刘盈 ), then completed the city walls.

And then the infamous Liu Che ( 刘彻 ), or better known to you Han Wudi, build the palace of Mingguanggong ( 明光宫 ) north of Changlegong (the first capital). He built two palaces north of Weiyanggong, Guigong ( 桂宫 ) and Beigong ( 北宫 ). And outside the city there was another palace built, called Jianzhanggong ( 建章宫 ). Also opened the Kunmingchi ( 昆明池 ) which was an artificial lake.

I have am writing a paper that will be posted on Chian History Forum, I will edit this post giving the link. If you have any questions at all about Chang'an I should be able to give it a shot, especially if its on the Former Han (Western Han). I have plenty more on the Walls, Gates, Street Grids, Markets, Royal Parks, its Ritual Structures, or whatever you can think of. I have a map of Chang'an but I don't have a scaner, but I might try to do a crude recreation of it later.

汉鬼

Edited by Ghost_of_Han
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 21:21

I don't know whats up with the Smiley faces, but I didn't type those, and they cut into some of my Charcters, I'll try to fix it later, I'm sorry.

Edit, Well I fixed it but that was kind of annoying all my Chacrter's had smiley faces on the end of them.

Edited by Ghost_of_Han
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 06:12
Originally posted by Ghost_of_Han

I don't know whats up with the Smiley faces, but I didn't type those, and they cut into some of my Charcters, I'll try to fix it later, I'm sorry.

Edit, Well I fixed it but that was kind of annoying all my Chacrter's had smiley faces on the end of them.

i don't like how your signature for ghost of han is written in simplified chinese...you should really consider changing it into traditional chinese. 'cause what you've got there looks really sucks...

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 09:04
I can't read the characters, ghost of han maybe because I'm not using my computer now
Grrr..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 14:24
That must be the reason because I think I fixed the problem.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 19:22
AAAh! There!  Though I don't understand three or 4 characters
Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply