Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the greatest Roman Defier?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who was the Greatest Roman Defier?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [81.40%]
6 [13.95%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Noir View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Noir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the greatest Roman Defier?
    Posted: 15-May-2005 at 12:06

Difficult choice...

My personal choice (using my heart, not my mind) would be Mithridates Eupator (Greek : ). This half Greek - half Persian King of Pontus (very greek at ideology and culture ) was Rome's terror (something like the Soviet so called super-power for Americans) for 2 generations of Romans. They constantly defeated him and he tenaciously regrouped  and stroke back. When he died, Rome was celebrating for months. Mithridates of Pontus was a thorn in Rome's side for forty years before Pompey earned his title "the Great" by defeating him. He was the last of the ancient "Greeks" (ideologically).(Cleopatra excluded). (see also : http://www.pontos.dk/round_table_mithridates/TBNmithridates_ personality.pdf)

Mithridates EupatorMithridates Eupator

From the given answers :Hannibal was the greatest general and (using my mind now) the greatest danger for Rome. But he was very early and Rome at that time wasn't the super-power empire that we now refer to. (see map :red=roman territory)   

Spartacus was the greatest threat because slave revolt was the economic - social - military -political nightmare for the Empire. He emerged from nothing, he had not a state to support him, and he (also) nearly made it.

The others mentioned were insignificant by comparison.

I think (given all that...) I will vote for Spartacus.

Edited by Noir
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 16:54
Spartacus' was far from the most destructive rebellion. His was not even the first major slave rebellion of the Republic. (The Roman Empire did not exist during spartacus's time)

One who deserves nomination is Zenobia, who conquered over half of the Empire's eastern territories.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 19:03

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Spartacus' was far from the most destructive rebellion. His was not even the first major slave rebellion of the Republic. (The Roman Empire did not exist during spartacus's time)

One who deserves nomination is Zenobia, who conquered over half of the Empire's eastern territories.

Ahh yes, queen of Palmyra.

I think that war with the allies was far more destructive than Spartacus Rebellion.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 05:52
Bah, none of mye favourites are listed.

I like the barbarians, guys like Vercingetorix, Brennus, Alaric, Arminius and Theodoric. Neither must we forget the Goth Fritigern's crushing defeat of the Roman army at Adrianople 378 AD, where Emperor Valens was killed (328-378 AD).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123