Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Ancient Hellenic names?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite Ancient Hellenic names?
    Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 12:11
What are your favourite Ancient Hellenic names?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 12:37
Pamela, is the name I gave my daughter LOL
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 12:42
Not favorites but just some I can think of at the moment (sorry for any spelling mistakes):

Achilles, Alexander, Apollo, Atlas, Chaos, Helios, Icarus, Jason, Morpheus, Nereus, Orion, Paris, Perseas, Thales, Xenon.
Andromeda, Antigone, Artemisia, Athena, Cassandra, Chloe, Daphne, Hera, Irene, Larissa, Nike, Olympia, Pandora, Penelope.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 14:25
Can I include titles as well?

Alexander Wink, Alexios, Demosthenes, Xanthippus, Artemis, Adelphos, Demetrius, Dexippus, Hipponicus...and many more. I also like Strategos and Basileus...oh and Krypteia (I know it's not a name or title...but I wanted to include itEmbarrassed)

Edited by Knights - 24-Feb-2007 at 20:20
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 14:30
Socrates
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 14:45
Hector
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 05:14
I was given the name Φίλιππος, so Philip is one of my favourites.

I also like Thales, Archelaos, Homeros, Achilleus, Solon, Klisthenis, Aristides, Pelops, Philolaos, Iokasti, Eugenia, Androniki, Areti, Memnon, Phaidon, Artemis, Aphroditi, Eytyxia, Zoe.

Names I don't like are Aglaia and Pyrrha. Dead

Edited by Flipper - 22-Feb-2007 at 05:20

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 08:13
These names are not Albanian,they are Hellenic.And just because they have some meaning in Albanian ,this does not mean anything.Illyrians ,Albanians and Hellens lived together for hundrends of years,while the Hellenic language until the Middle Ages dominated the Balkan peninsula.It's more than natural to have similarities with it's neighbouring Balkan languages,but saying they are Albanian it's nothing more than blantant nationalism,or in other words bullsh*t.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 08:26
Leonidas.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:09
Originally posted by liburni

and at the same way how do u explain the fact that all the aboved names have their own meaning in albanian language????!!!Shocked
i am giving u some examples:
ex: hera in albania means "the wind"
apollo means "the opened star"
paris means "the first"
aphrodithi means "the near day".....etc

1) This forum is not Stormfront or any white power trash site.
2) This forum is not a place for 16-year old nationalists.
3) This is a forum is assembled by people that have love for the history of human kind. Some do it seriously as hobby, others work as historians and others are here to learn. Points 1 and 2 can be taken elsewhere where it fits best.
4) Let me give you an example of how wrong you are:

Hera is a latinized version of Ηρα. It sound Ira (like iran). Wind in Albanian is er and not Ira. So, phonetically you're completely wrong except from the r.

Apollo, the "open star"? Is it a logical meaning in this? Or is it that "Apollon" in Greek comes from the verb "Απολλώ" which means "To drive away"? Remember that he was god of healing, music, light. Things that drοve away evil according to their greek traditions.

You have more mistakes in your phonetics...Apollo again is the latinized version of Απόλλων. In Albanian open is "Hapa" and "Yll" is star. So, that was far fetched and poor to try to connect.

Paris was a Trojan man. And with your logic in Greek it would litterarly mean "To take"? Take who? Helen Clap

Now, my favourite...Aphrodite. To make it sound Albanian you have to convert it to
afrdit which means "near day" but makes no sense at all. If you stop reading romantic nationalists historians and read greek mythology instead you will see that Αφροδίτη (Aphroδiti is the correct sounding) was rised from the foam of the sea. LOL And if you open a greek dictionary you will see that Foam is "Αφρός" and the female form for the noun that shows her rise is "διτή".

Now shall I remind you that the biggest Illyrian god was named Genesus which comes obviously the Greek word Genesis (birth) and was actually a copy of Zeus?
Believe me, you don't want me to start analyzing etymologies here. If you want to try to draw parallels of Greek with another language, the best is to do it with Phrygian which has a direct connection and not just a related like Albanian.

Now, please take those things elsewhere.

Edited by Flipper - 23-Feb-2007 at 12:28

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:47
Lysander
Iphigineia

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 15:20
Originally posted by liburni

all the names u said above are all spelled very well in the albanian language and they are all albanians (illyrians) names.

LOL

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 15:43
Helen, Artemis,Ajax.
Anfører
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 17:55
Originally posted by sirius99

Helen, Artemis,Ajax.

How can I forget Helen and Greacus!?!?!?!?! Big%20smile

bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 19:00
telemacus,sipiros,andromeda
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 19:22
The name Telemachus is insane. Remote fighter!!! Like if he through fireballs or something. Wacko

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 19:43
Originally posted by Flipper

The name Telemachus is insane. 

Was Telemachus the name Odysseus' son in the Homeric books?

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 19:54
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by Flipper

The name Telemachus is insane. 

Was Telemachus the name Odysseus' son in the Homeric books?

YesApprove
Anfører
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 22:08
Achillea, Leonidas Wink, Agiliseus, Artemis

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 20:24
Wow - Artemis is certainly popular. Well, it just happens to be the coolest Hellenic name Wink ... and Alexios Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>