Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do the red-haired originally come from Ireland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the red-haired originally come from Ireland?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 11:00
To me, it seems that Ireland is the no.1 country with redheads. But where did the red-head start? Britain also has many, but do they originally come from Ireland? Can every red-haired person trace their gene back to Ireland?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 14:12
Never really associated red hair with the Irish. I always thought of the Scots as the ginger weirdies.

Wiki gives these figures for frequency, which could suggest a Norwegian influence, though one would expect even higher figure in Norway if this is so.

15% Northern England
13% Scotland
10% Wales
10% Ireland

Edited by Paul - 14-Feb-2007 at 14:14
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Paul

Never really associated red hair with the Irish. I always thought of the Scots as the ginger weirdies.

Wiki gives these figures for frequency, which could suggest a Norwegian influence, though one would expect even higher figure in Norway if this is so.

15% Northern England
13% Scotland
10% Wales
10% Ireland

True, I have always heard the stereotype applied to the Scots more than anybody. I mean, in most depictions in paintings, about one every eight Scot has red hair and a big red beard to go with it.

Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 17:02
Gingers come from the Vikings, or so I've heard. 
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 17:20
Perhaps Captain Redbeard was a late descendant from King Erik The Red? Evil%20Smile

Edited by Boreasi - 15-Feb-2007 at 17:22
Be good or be gone.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 18:20
The ginger race is dying out, due to the redhair gene being a recessive one and the influences of darker haired races making the future of the flame top quite bleak...Sad really, ginger girls are pretty sexy
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 22:29
I might be descended from Barbarosa, as I have a red beard myself.
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 00:40
i think aborigines also have an occurrance of red hair.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 00:46
Sounds very strange doesn't it jackal god...however I do believe that red hair is present in some Aboriginals, and a tribe called the Koori have natural blonde hair. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 01:05
According the the Guinness Book of Records for 2007, Scotland does have the highest number of redheads per capita: 1 in 8.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 19:13
Most natural Welsh redheads in my experience tend to be of the dark copper variety.
Not sure if thats usefull.
And yeah, stereotypes aside, its more of a N. England thing.

i think aborigines also have an occurrance of red hair.

IIRC, yes, and blonsdism. Also some soutern African peoples, possible those Kalihari bushmen types (can't renember) have it in small amounts.
Though it looks different, so probaly deroieved from a sort of seperate but paralel genetic linage or whatever.
Arrrgh!!"
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 20:07
My Father who was Iranian had red hair, although the redness of his hair was darker and closer to the real colour of red rather than to the ginger-redness of the Scots. In fact I have seen quite a few Iranians with red hair.

Edited by omshanti - 17-Feb-2007 at 20:11
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 20:29
I have always had the same impression as the original poster about Ireland.
IrishNation1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 16:41

lol Well Im from Ireland and I dont know to many people with Red hair. I know a few but 1 in 8 of the people as someone above mentioned with the Scots. lol I dont think thats the case in my part of the Country anyway

Edited by IrishNation1 - 23-Feb-2007 at 08:28
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 18:44
I believe the red hair gene is present in most european populations and is not distinct to just the British Isles and Scandinavia. I know that in Ireland there is a high number of people with black hair. I believe that the black hair gene is more prominent there than the red.

My grandmother was from Mani in the Southernmost point in the Peloponnese peninsula in southern Greece, and she had pure red hair.
She was in no way mixed with the Celts or any of the Nordic group. That area of Greece remained completely isolated until the past 10 years and they were never conquered by anyone, not even the Turks.

So it seems that the Red-Hair gene is just a caucasoid feature.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 10:21
The red-heads in Turkey are said to be mostly the descendant of Galats (Celts) who came to Anatolia around 278-277 BC.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 10:33

Well my wife and my 1 year old daughter are both red heads and both have quite fiery tempers.

I always thought red heads were more Celtic than Nordic, are there many red heads in Scandinavia ??

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:42
I have read somewhere that a genemix of black hair (real black) and blonde (real blonde) gives red-haired kids. This does explain redheads in places you do not expect them. Blondes from the north (Kelts, Gemans, Balts etc.) mixing with dark Mediterranian types would cause red haired kids to appear. Tourism must help... Wink

I wonder if this could be the reason for Scottish redheads as well, quite a lot of mixing there: Kelts, Picts, Saxons...

The Red Irish idea is pretty fixed in peoples minds though. When I was in Italy people kept asking if I was Irish, just because of my red hair... It is not even my real colour... It is not even a natural colour at that...Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 23-Feb-2007 at 14:43

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 02:00

Peruvian Redhead

"A red-haired mummy recovered from the Nevado Ampato, Peru, in the mountains near the famous Machu Picchu mountaintop fortress. Dated at circa 1400 AD, this may even have been one of the red-haired Incas that the Spaniards reported seeing.
Some of the mummies were found to have the stiff black hair of the Indians, while others, which have been kept in the same conditions, have red, often chestnut-colored hair, "silky and wavy, as found amongst Europeans, they have long skulls and remarkably tall bodies. Hair experts have shown by microscopic analysis, that the red hair has all the characteristics that ordinarily distinguish a Nordic hair type from that of Mongols or American Indians." (Heyerdahl, ibid., pages 351, 352).
"

Pizarro asked who the white skinned redheads were. The Inca Indians replied that they were the last descendants of the Viracochas. The Viracochas, they said, were a divine race of White men with beards. They were so like the Spanish that the Europeans were called Viracochas the moment they came to the Inca Empire. The Incas thought they were the Viracochas who had come sailing back across the Pacific. (Heyerdahl, ibid., page 253).

According to the principal Inca legend, before the reign of the first Inca, the sun-god, Con-Ticci Viracocha, had taken leave of his kingdom in present day Peru and sailed off into the Pacific with all his subjects...

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/redhairedmummiesunitedstates.html

Guanche

Ramses II

Ramses II

Yuya, Egyptian nobleman from 1400 BC

l

Loulan, Tarim, NW China

Tarim, China

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarim_Mummies

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't give me advice - send me money...

Be good or be gone.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 11:07

Mummies? I don't think is a good proof of red hair, because the body has suffered chemical transformations after dead. Native Americans in particular have hair varying from real shinny black to dark brown. In Egypt or China there is a real possibility blond or red haired "caucasians" existed one time or other.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>