Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

14th Cuirasiers - Dutch or Polish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14th Cuirasiers - Dutch or Polish?
    Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:33
I found contratictory sources. some say they were formed from a Dutch Curiassier regiment after the kingdom of Holland got annexed by France. other sources include the 14th cuirassiers in the list of Polish troops. at the battle of Borodino they were also brigaded with the Saxon heavy cavalry regiments were they were also described as Polish...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:27
Pity that TJK is no longer visiting this boards. I bet he would know.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 21:40
why isn't he visiting here any more? did he say so?
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 08:49

I'm visiting AE however not very often..

Regarding Temujin's question:  14th regiment of Empire was created in 1810 from the ex Dutch 2nd Cuirassiers. Polish only regiment of cuirassiers have also the no 14 but it was 14th regiment of of Grand Duchy of Warsaw

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 12:49
mmh, I already suspected so....but why did it got the number 14 since it's the only cuirassier regiment?
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 15:14

Cavalry regimenst in Duchy of Warsaw have recieved the numbers connected to date they been fomed despite the kind of unit. There were following cavalry regiments:

- 1st, 4th, 5th Regiment of Chasseurs

- 10th, 13th Regiment of Hussars
- 14th Regiment of Cuirassiers

-  Guides
Krakusi
- 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th , 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th ,19th, 20th, 21st and   formed in France in 1814: 1st, 2nd Regiments of Uhlans

Edited by TJK
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:51
ah I see, so all cavalry regiments were numbered in the same tier, irregardless of type? that explains a lot...
 Post Reply Post Reply