Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should the Kurds be given independence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the Kurds be given independence?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 02:41
Originally posted by Cent

"Key point: if they want it.

Referendum!"

Let's have a referendum in Iran, Syria and Turkey, only Kurds can vote.

1. Stay

2. Split and form an independent Kuridstan

Let's see what they vote for.

We've already done that in Iraq. Guess how it went?

IF, Kurds would choose, majority would choose separation.

Iranians, Turks and Arabs now this, that's why they'll never have a referendum.

WHY!?!? It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever!!! For one thing, what if Iran, Turkey and Iraq don't like losing their oil-rich and valuable territory? Secondly, a referendum can't be for a specific cultural group, that's not a referendum. Thirdly, see above.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 03:43
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Perhaps they should *have* independance, but they shouldn't be *Given* it.  I mean that "The West" or whoever shouldn't have the right to give or take away independance.

You compare it to 1918-1919 redrawing of maps, well perhaps this is another map redrawn by the west that would cause endless problems down the road.  I'm not saying I am anti-Kurdish-independance, but like someone said, it's not independance either to be an American protectorate..
This is the reality check post for all the supporters (like me)

The way they gain it is very important, if its imposed on turkey iran or syria then it just makes for future trouble and a less (if not non-) viable nation. While other details like Turkmen, Assyrian, yazidi and other (religious and ethnic) minorities have to be taken care of. Its not as simple as drawing a map; its writing constitutions, treaties and political maturity of all involved.

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Feb-2007 at 03:44
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 05:46
Originally posted by Zagros

"So this divorce would require a lot of ethnic cleansing and Iranians have never been partial to this barbarity."

I've bolded where it says they slayed Kurdish sunnis and replaced them with shia turkmens.

In 1609-1610, a war broke out between [COLOR=#800080">Kurdish[/COLOR"> tribes and the [COLOR=#0000ff">Safavid Empire[/COLOR">. After a long and bloody siege led by the Safavid grand vizier Hatem Beg, which lasted from November [COLOR=#0000ff">1609[/COLOR"> to the summer of [COLOR=#0000ff">1610[/COLOR">, the Kurdish stronghold of Dimdim was captured. Shah Abbas ordered a general massacre in Beradost and Mukriyan([COLOR=#0000ff">Mahabad[/COLOR">) (Reported by Eskandar Beg Monshi, Safavid Historian (1557-1642) in the Book "Alam Ara Abbasi") and resettled the [COLOR=#0000ff">Turkish[/COLOR"> Afshar tribe in the region while deporting many [COLOR=#800080">Kurdish[/COLOR"> tribes to [COLOR=#0000ff">Khorasan[/COLOR">

I call this ethnic cleansing.

My word! That is not ethnic cleansing, that is punishment and also strategic decision: he could have killed ALL of those Kurds, but he only punished the ones that took part in the revolt. He moved the others because had a history of siding with Ottomans and were too dangerous to have on the Western frontier. This was nothing unusual for the period. My own ancestors were Bakhtiari from Fars - Shah Abbas, after defeating my tribe moved us to Kermanshah because we did not accept his high taxes but were good warriors! Were we ethnically cleansed from Fars? No, there are still Bakhtiari there! Only my Larti tribe.

If he was to ethnically cleanse he would have killed or moved ALL Sunni Kurds, not just the ones who revolted. Don't distort history, you know how much that annoys me.

I like the date though: 1609.

Find out who commissioned the writing of the Sharaf Nameh of Kurdish history, it was no other than Shah Abbas.

Please Zagros, if that would of happened today, it would of been called ethnic cleansing.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 05:48
Originally posted by Zagros

Btw, Zagros, do you know who Ako Kordnasab is?

He was captured by pasdaran in Sanandaj for doing a report from a polling station.

"Journalist Ako Kordnasab, who was doing a report from a polling station in Sanandaj, was attacked and arrested by the regimes thugs."

Is he OK?

Unfortunately, this is nothing unusual, anyone who engages in political activity outside the scope of the Islamic Republic is reprimanded. A pollster was jailed and had his newspaper shut down a year and a half ago in Tehran because he comprised a poll that said the majority of Iranians prefer good realtions with America. He was not Kurdish.

My dad is wanted for having affiliations to the Fedayan e Khalq. (NOT MKO) Ten years ago they lured one of his old colleagues to Azerbaijan republic on a fake business deal and kidnapped him took him to Evin and tortured him. They released him, a broken man, some years later and took away his passport.

Yes, he's OK. They set him free after a week or so. That's the second time they've taken him.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:29
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Other examples include Kuwait, which was meant to be part of Iraq, but Britain excluded it for its own interests.
'Meant' by whom? God?

Britain created Iraq. That was a big mistake. The original three Ottoman provinces shouldn't have been combined in the first place.

Are you suggesting the central Asian republics shouldn't be independent? Or were they just 'meant to be'?

How about Peru, or Chile, or Argentina? East Timor? Croatia?

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-Feb-2007 at 07:33
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Perhaps they should *have* independance, but they shouldn't be *Given* it.  I mean that "The West" or whoever shouldn't have the right to give or take away independance.

You compare it to 1918-1919 redrawing of maps, well perhaps this is another map redrawn by the west that would cause endless problems down the road.  I'm not saying I am anti-Kurdish-independance, but like someone said, it's not independance either to be an American protectorate..

Very true. Remember what happened to Yugoslavia?

It's working out fine now it's split up. What was a disaster was not allowing the ethnic groups to be independent of each other.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:38

WHY!?!? It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever!!! For one thing, what if Iran, Turkey and Iraq don't like losing their oil-rich and valuable territory? Secondly, a referendum can't be for a specific cultural group, that's not a referendum. Thirdly, see above.

Turkish and Iranian Kurdish territories are oil-rich?

And any referendum is for a specific group, unless you're suggesting the whole 6 billion of us should be polled on everything.

Of course a referendum of a specific cultural group is a refendum.

Moreover the Kurds aren't a 'cultural' group. They are easily the largest ethnic group in the world not to have their own nation-state.

Not for the first time you need to do a little fact-checking.

(And who defines 'their' territory, and who is 'they'? The whole point at issue is whether the territory should revert to Kurdish ownership or not.

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-Feb-2007 at 07:42
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:01

Personally, I say no. Plain and simple. There are several reason why it wouldn't work, and shouldn't happen. Firstly, drawing national borders along ethnic lines, especially in the middle east, is a very foolish idea. Israel is a great example of how this only leads to further bloodshed and persecution.

Secondly, you would be carving territory out of nations that already exist, and would probably object to the idea. Again Israel demonstrates a problem with this. Other examples include Kuwait, which was meant to be part of Iraq, but Britain excluded it for its own interests.

Cutting countries into smaller and smaller groups is a way of keeping the Middle East in check, helping developed nations get a better deal on oil. As much as it sounds cynical and paranoid, it happens. The less united the Middle East is, the better of America will be. While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it also reduces the wealth of the developing middle eastern nations.

Finally, the nation can only exist in two states. It could either exist as a protectorate and puppet state of a powerful western nation, most likely America, or it could be annexed by another nation, such as Turkey or possibly Iran in the future. This is especially a problem because the region officially proposed for a "Kurdish Nation" in Iraqi lands is the most oil rich. American agenda anyone?

Second that!Clap
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:05
Originally posted by gcle2003

And any referendum is for a specific group, unless you're suggesting the whole 6 billion of us should be polled on everything.

Moreover the Kurds aren't a 'cultural' group. They are easily the largest ethnic group in the world not to have their own nation-state.

(And who defines 'their' territory, and who is 'they'? The whole point at issue is whether the territory should revert to Kurdish ownership or not.

Actually gcle, perhaps you fail to grasp democracy here. A referendum would have to apply to the whole voting body of the nations. The kurds are not the whole nation, and therefore should not get special voting rights over others.

What ethnic groups have their own state? Last I checked I could get British citizenship if I moved ther. I could probably get Indian citizenship. In fact I'm pretty sure that most nations have more than one ethnic group in them. So really, stop thinking like a racist. Or, while we're at it, we can establish the Caliphate and ethnically cleanse Europe. Wacko

EDIT: @ TheDiplomat - Star

Edited by Zaitsev - 07-Feb-2007 at 08:06
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:14
"Actually gcle, perhaps you fail to grasp democracy here. A referendum would have to apply to the whole voting body of the nations. The kurds are not the whole nation, and therefore should not get special voting rights over others."

What? A referendum should be to those it concerns.

When Kurds in Iraq made a referendum it was ONLY people living in Northern Iraq who got to vote. Not people in Basra or Baghdad.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:16
"What ethnic groups have their own state?"

Many ethnic groups. Swedes have their own, Russians also... Germans have their own too if I remember correctly.

Turks have many states...

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:58
look at china and you can find alot of  ethnics that don't have their own country and some of the even more than kurds or look in India. You can find some ethnics that are more than kurds in number but still live with other ethnics within thier country.
Anfører
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:59

"What ethnic groups have their own state?"

Many ethnic groups. Swedes have their own, Russians also... Germans have their own too if I remember correctly.

Turks have many states...

As a Turk I think the Kurds deserve a own stae a realy do. But the tpoic starter said give nobody is "given" anything it needs to be earned.

I know alot of people(esspecialy Turkish guys) are going to have coments on this.

The Kurds where teh only non-Turks who fought beside the Ottomans untill the end(Loyalty should be rewarderd not ignored).

But the Kurdish regions were allso populated with ethnic Turks some time ago. My great great grandfather comes from Bitlis(Van) He went to The "dogu cepesi" eastern front to gight with the russians(and he stayed there).

My question is towards teh Kurds in the forum. How are the relations with the other Kurds. Kurds from Turkey, syria, Iran & Iraq are not totaly the same.
It might seem that they will get along wich eachother. Now they do becuse they have a common goal a independant Kurdistan. But what after that goal is accomplised what next?

I am for an independant Kurdistan but the terms need to be realistic. So does the outcome

regards xi tujue
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:31
Cent
Let's have a referendum in Iran, Syria and Turkey, only Kurds can vote.

1. Stay

2. Split and form an independent Kuridstan

I'm sorry but did you ever stop and care to think about this because its totally un-realistic.

How can only Kurds vote on a referrandum which concerns entire countries?

Secondly how do we determine who is a Kurd? in Iran and Turkey and Syria they are citizens of those countries. I mean anybody could turn up and claim to be a Kurd, how can you guarantee only Kurds vote.

Your incouraging a racist program where only one ethnic has rights and other's don't.

In addition a large proportion of Kurds for example in Turkey don't even live in the South East. There are more Kurds in Istanbul than any other city. Also there is a historic Kurdish population in Istanbul from Ottoman times. What makes you think Kurds want to give up the areas they've been living in now for generations and simply move to the South East.

And to top it off the South East isn't a mono-ethnic region, infact most of the South East doesn't have a Kurdish population outisde Diyarbakir, Batman, Hakkari. There are majority Turkish regions, Arab regions, Christian Arab/Assyrian regions and mixed areas.

It's just as complicated in Syria or Iran. Zagros earlier stated that there are also Kurds in other parts of Iran, I'm assuming that there are also prosperous, influential and powerfull Kurds.

If Iran was just to "hand over" land, well it's then its a slippery slope, if other ethnic groups start "wanting" land are they just going to give it. Then what happens when there are these little states? the ethnics in these little states will start demands thus more little states and we'll end up with tiny principallity states destined to become nothing but pawns.

Gcle
'Meant' by whom? God?

Britain created Iraq. That was a big mistake. The original three Ottoman provinces shouldn't have been combined in the first place.

Why should Iran, Turkey and Syria have to pay for this mistake then.

It's not like Iraq is the only mistake, half the middle east is and I'd refrain from using "mistake" this was intential, a great policy to divide and conquer.

Gcle
It's working out fine now it's split up. What was a disaster was not allowing the ethnic groups to be independent of each other.

Is it working fine? the current borders are just a brewing pot for more conflicts in the future.

If UN forces wern't in Kosovo I wouldn't be suprised if another war began there.

Gcle
And any referendum is for a specific group

And how would that work.

Sirus
look at china and you can find alot of  ethnics that don't have their own country and some of the even more than kurds or look in India. You can find some ethnics that are more than kurds in number but still live with other ethnics within thier country.

Good point.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:47

Originally posted by gcle2003

Actually gcle, perhaps you fail to grasp democracy here.
I don't think you know what 'nation' means.
A referendum would have to apply to the whole voting body of the nations. The kurds are not the whole nation, and therefore should not get special voting rights over others.
Who defines the 'nation'? Certainly the Kurds see themselves as a nation. Whereas on the other hand the 'Iraqis' don't seem to.

Anyway, my objection was to your saying "Secondly, a referendum can't be for a specific cultural group, that's not a referendum. " In 1945 there was a referendum as to whether the inhabitants wanted to be part of Germany or of France. (They voted for Germany.) A similar referendum was held in the parts of France annexed by Italy (around Nice) about whether the territory should be returned to France.

Lots of referenda have been held similarly. As I keep telling you, check your facts before coming up with plonking universal statements.

(And how about that 'oil-rich' comment?)

What ethnic groups have their own state?
Pretty well all of them. Many of them with much smaller populations than Kurdistan.
 Last I checked I could get British citizenship if I moved ther.
Possibly. But the point is that you get it automatically if you're English or Scottish or Welsh or Irish. I assume an independent Kurdistan could allow foreigners to immigrate. Israel allows foreigners to have citizenship. But Israel is still a nation state for Jews.

I could probably get Indian citizenship. In fact I'm pretty sure that most nations have more than one ethnic group in them. So really, stop thinking like a racist.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not thinking like a racist, I'm recognising that there is a group of people here that - apparently - want their own country. If that's true (and I accept Zagros' point that it may not be) then they should have it, and not be forced to live under foreign domination.

Same is true of, e.g., Northern Ireland. If the majority there wants to be part of the UK, then they should be. If they want to be part of Ireland then they should be. If they want to be independent then they should be. There seems to be a glimmer of hope that all sides are beginning to accept that, luckily. But it's been a long time coming.

Or, while we're at it, we can establish the Caliphate and ethnically cleanse Europe. Wacko

That's silly.

Do you mean the Caliphate or the Sultanate? Restoring the Sultanate[1] would of course be exactly the opposite of what I am saying, since it was broken up in order to give ethnic groups independence. That the lines of demarcation were in places badly drawn doesn't affect the principle: Kurdish independence would merely correct a mistake made post-1918, just like the merging of Czechoslovakia, which has now been corrected.

The question of restoring the Caliphate I'll leave in the safe hands of Omar and other Muslims here.

[1] That is, the Ottoman Sultanate - the dominions of the 'Sultan of Sultans'.

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-Feb-2007 at 09:48
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 10:06
Gcle
A similar referendum was held in the parts of France annexed by Italy (around Nice) about whether the territory should be returned to France.

That's totally different, what is being proposed is a racist referrandum. If it was to be applied in the above example only ethnic French people of Nice would be able to vote and everybody else wouldn't have a say in it.

If there is a referrandum everybody who it concerns must have a say or it isn't a referendum.

Gcle
Lots of referenda have been held similarly.

I really havn't heard of any referendum in which people wern't allowed to participate just because of their ethnicity even though they live in the area which could be effected.

Gcle
Pretty well all of them.

I can assure you that isn't the case, do you know how many minorities/ethnics there are in India and China some with populations of over 65 million like the Tamils.

Gcle
Kurdish independence would merely correct a mistake made post-1918

It was not a "mistake", it was intentional and primarilly done to cause chaos making it easier to divide and rule.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:09
Zagros...whats the deal with UNPO?

h t t p : / / e n . w i k i p e d i a . o r g / w i k i / U N P O

I hear things such as south azerbaijan becoming a member and other non-persian ethnicities?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:31
GCLE I think Bulldog has addressed most of your misconceptions, however I will also point out that, as far as I am aware at this time, Israel is the only "ethnic state". It's possible there are a few others around, but generally they do not exist. There is no "you're a German you can live here otherwise shove off to France" state. There is no state in which only Norwegian people can reside. The fact that the majority of a nation's population is of one "ethnicity" does not make it an "ethnic state". It's tragic to see that some people can't get past the us vs them mentality when considering ethnic groups and nations.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 13:15
Cent: It wasnt ethnic cleansing because he didn't kill them for being Kurds - it isn't that hard to comprehend.

And if that is the best example you can find, 1609, then pfft.

I think a referendum should be had anyway - if ethnic groups want to split, then let them go since they are otherwise a liability. And I say this with confidence because I know Kermanshah and Ilam wouldn't, and between them they constitute over half of the Kurdish population in Iran. Why would we want to join people who we don't really understand all that well? It would be like being a part of another Iran, except worse since it would be imposing its brand of Kurdishness on others.

Just look at what's happening to Hawremani, it is disappearing and being replaced with Sorani... Seems it did pretty well for itself in the last 1600 years and recently it is diminishing.

There are more Kurdish separatists in Sweden than there are in Iran!

Like I said, referendum all the way, same for Azeris.

Edited by Zagros - 07-Feb-2007 at 13:26
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:51

"Actually gcle, perhaps you fail to grasp democracy here. A referendum would have to apply to the whole voting body of the nations. The kurds are not the whole nation, and therefore should not get special voting rights over others."

What? A referendum should be to those it concerns.

When Kurds in Iraq made a referendum it was ONLY people living in Northern Iraq who got to vote. Not people in Basra or Baghdad.
also ONLY kurds where allowed to vote for the referendum, not any other people living in northern Iraq. It's like we say it in Turkish "play and dance on your own" (kendin cal kendin oyna).

Also tell me why should someone in basra, bagdat or any other non-kurdish living place should vote for kurdish independence? Dont fly to high I say, you can dream but face the facts also.

also as I earlyer stated "if" that country will exist, it wouldnt survive hours. Just look at the video's below, you can see what kind of "guns" Turkey has on his hands (economical).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fTT3gje6ws

"those who doesnt wants referendum are our enemy's" the head of Kerkk police corps (he's kurdish himself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex6S8jhPqlc

a sirious Turkish tv program with Israeli president Ehud Olmert, debating about Israeli presence in northern Iraq, wich he (olmert) refuses and calls it as "Bullsh*t".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b52-uX-dzU

Cent, I know the grass looks more greener when if you look from Sweden, but from here I see not any grass but a big desert.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>