Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should the Kurds be given independence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Mithras View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the Kurds be given independence?
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 14:45
Do you think the Kurds should gain independence?

Persoally, I think it makes sense. The Kurds have for long been oppressed by their Turkish, Arabian and Persian overlords. They have inhabited their land for an extremely long time. And, in my opinion, very positively, they appear to be much more democratic and secular-minded (not very religious) that the peoples who have ruled them. Kurdistan turning into an Islamic theocracy seems unlikely, especially since not all Kurds are Muslims. And I think an independent Kurdistan could be viable. After all, they have oil in their lands.

But in a sense, I could understand that Iran, Iraq and Turkey (and Syria and Armenia, though these two have very small Kurdish populations, and not large enough to part their territory up) don't want to give the Kurdish lands away. I wouldn't approve of if for instance the Sami people who live in northern Sweden, Norway and Finland were allowed to form their own state in the northern territories. And neither would I approve of if Scania separated. Though these peoples have not been as oppressed as the Kurds have been, and they are not oppressed a single bit today. Heck, the Sami people are even (errenously) referred to as "natives" of this country.

So what do you think? I think that if Iran keeps on staying in the Middle Ages in almost everything except military technology, and if the Sunnis and Shiites continue to wreck Iraq, and if Turkey keeps oppressing the Kurds, Kurdish independence is very justified. But if the mentioned countries join the 21th century and become secular democracies who accept human rights and don't try to destroy anything Kurdish, and if the Kurds are given some space to communicate with their fellow Kurds in the other countries and are allowed to keep their language and culture, then that's fine and there is no need for an independent Kurdish state to be formed.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:04
I am an Iranian Kurd and no one's oppressed me nor my ancestors in living history in any ethnically motivated way, so I suggest you qualify your assertions rather than just parroting what you've read from Kurdish e-nationalists.

Pezhak is an armed Kurdish rebel wing of the PKK who have declared war on Iran, I read an article from an ABC correspondant from within their camp the other day - it is very telling that their ranks consist of Syrian and Turkish Kurds who have the Marxist Abdullah Ocalan's face painted on a hillside - very telling - anyone who thinks people like this will free Kurds, are soundly mistaken, I am afraid.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2845522&page=4

Iranian Kurds as with all other Iranians have problems with their government, but I assure you the majority would rather have a free Iran than have a divorce and tere is no special discrimination for anyone in Iran, all are oppressed equally and Iranian Kurds know this.

These Kurds from my hometown of Kermanshah are so oppressed that they are allowed to sing and dance and make commercial music videos in Iran. Only Kurds are officially allowed to dance in Iran, did you know this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBAesuQgQXI

And further to that, the Iranian governemnt has decided to deprive the Kurds so much that they have invested in an unprecedented development programme in the ostan of Kordestan...

Edited by Zagros - 06-Feb-2007 at 15:05
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:10
I'm generally in favout of people being independent in their own country if they want to be. So yes I'd be in favour of an independent Kurdistan if the Kurds wanted it.

Like the recent break-up of Yugoslavia it would be repairing a mistake made post-1918 in breaking up the Ottoman Empire parallel to the mistake in setting up Yugoslavia in breaking up the Austrian and Ottoman Empires.

Whether they have been or are being oppressed at the moment is irrelevant.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:19
Key point: if they want it.

Referendum!
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:21
Well i think in the next years we gonna see many developments in this area and the reason is that Kurds are the best ally of US and if the oil of Iraqi kurdistan will not be shared  with the other Iraq , in a few years we ll have a very strong (rich from the oil) state of  Kurdistan (with the help of US of course).Usually new states grow irredentism and expansionism.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:50
"Key point: if they want it.

Referendum!"

Let's have a referendum in Iran, Syria and Turkey, only Kurds can vote.

1. Stay

2. Split and form an independent Kuridstan

Let's see what they vote for.

We've already done that in Iraq. Guess how it went?

IF, Kurds would choose, majority would choose separation.

Iranians, Turks and Arabs now this, that's why they'll never have a referendum.

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:52

"all are oppressed equally and Iranian Kurds know this."

Zagros, both you and I know that Sunnis are more oppressed than others.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:27
Sunnis cannot be president and cannot have sensitive military positions. We know one Sanandaji (Kurd) who was an airforce pilot during the shah's time but was demoted and couldn't fly after the revolution because he was a Sunni.

The worst part is that the leader of Kordestan friday payers is Shi'e, this is an unnecessary provocation.

Hey I can assure you, there is no majority in Iranian Kurdistan (Ilam, Kermanshah, Kordestan, Western Azarbaijan) that favour a divorce from Iran. Even my dad who is a hardcore Kurdish nationalist wants federalism so that Kurds can look after their own cultural affairs.

Kurds are not only in Kurdistan, they are in other parts of Iran and there are other Iranians in Kurdistan, not to mention intermarriage... So this divorce would require a lot of ethnic cleansing and Iranians have never been partial to this barbarity. You have never been a part of the society in Iran, hardly anyone there is a nationalist, do you honestly think people walk around thinking to themselves oh I wish we could be a different country?

Look at Iranian artists, singers from Turkish, Persian and Kurdish backgrounds all participate in each others' culture. Persian singers sing in Kurdish, Kurdish bands and singers do traditional Persian etc.

I think you should go to Iran's Kurdistan first then you will be in a better position to make a judgement.

Edited by Zagros - 06-Feb-2007 at 16:38
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:54
"So this divorce would require a lot of ethnic cleansing and Iranians have never been partial to this barbarity."

I've bolded where it says they slayed Kurdish sunnis and replaced them with shia turkmens.

In 1609-1610, a war broke out between Kurdish tribes and the Safavid Empire. After a long and bloody siege led by the Safavid grand vizier Hatem Beg, which lasted from November 1609 to the summer of 1610, the Kurdish stronghold of Dimdim was captured. Shah Abbas ordered a general massacre in Beradost and Mukriyan(Mahabad) (Reported by Eskandar Beg Monshi, Safavid Historian (1557-1642) in the Book "Alam Ara Abbasi") and resettled the Turkish Afshar tribe in the region while deporting many Kurdish tribes to Khorasan

I call this ethnic cleansing.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:57

Edited by Cent - 19-Apr-2008 at 17:59
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:57
He's my brother.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 17:11
Depends. I wouldn't have an American colony in N. Iraq.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by Cent

"So this divorce would require a lot of ethnic cleansing and Iranians have never been partial to this barbarity."

I've bolded where it says they slayed Kurdish sunnis and replaced them with shia turkmens.

In 1609-1610, a war broke out between [COLOR=#800080">Kurdish[/COLOR"> tribes and the [COLOR=#0000ff">Safavid Empire[/COLOR">. After a long and bloody siege led by the Safavid grand vizier Hatem Beg, which lasted from November [COLOR=#0000ff">1609[/COLOR"> to the summer of [COLOR=#0000ff">1610[/COLOR">, the Kurdish stronghold of Dimdim was captured. Shah Abbas ordered a general massacre in Beradost and Mukriyan([COLOR=#0000ff">Mahabad[/COLOR">) (Reported by Eskandar Beg Monshi, Safavid Historian (1557-1642) in the Book "Alam Ara Abbasi") and resettled the [COLOR=#0000ff">Turkish[/COLOR"> Afshar tribe in the region while deporting many [COLOR=#800080">Kurdish[/COLOR"> tribes to [COLOR=#0000ff">Khorasan[/COLOR">

I call this ethnic cleansing.

My word! That is not ethnic cleansing, that is punishment and also strategic decision: he could have killed ALL of those Kurds, but he only punished the ones that took part in the revolt. He moved the others because had a history of siding with Ottomans and were too dangerous to have on the Western frontier. This was nothing unusual for the period. My own ancestors were Bakhtiari from Fars - Shah Abbas, after defeating my tribe moved us to Kermanshah because we did not accept his high taxes but were good warriors! Were we ethnically cleansed from Fars? No, there are still Bakhtiari there! Only my Larti tribe.

If he was to ethnically cleanse he would have killed or moved ALL Sunni Kurds, not just the ones who revolted. Don't distort history, you know how much that annoys me.

I like the date though: 1609.

Find out who commissioned the writing of the Sharaf Nameh of Kurdish history, it was no other than Shah Abbas.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 18:29
Originally posted by Cent

Btw, Zagros, do you know who Ako Kordnasab is?

He was captured by pasdaran in Sanandaj for doing a report from a polling station.

"Journalist Ako Kordnasab, who was doing a report from a polling station in Sanandaj, was attacked and arrested by the regimes thugs."

Is he OK?

Unfortunately, this is nothing unusual, anyone who engages in political activity outside the scope of the Islamic Republic is reprimanded. A pollster was jailed and had his newspaper shut down a year and a half ago in Tehran because he comprised a poll that said the majority of Iranians prefer good realtions with America. He was not Kurdish.

My dad is wanted for having affiliations to the Fedayan e Khalq. (NOT MKO) Ten years ago they lured one of his old colleagues to Azerbaijan republic on a fake business deal and kidnapped him took him to Evin and tortured him. They released him, a broken man, some years later and took away his passport.

Edited by Zagros - 06-Feb-2007 at 18:32
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:01
Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm generally in favout of people being independent in their own country if they want to be. So yes I'd be in favour of an independent Kurdistan if the Kurds wanted it.

Like the recent break-up of Yugoslavia it would be repairing a mistake made post-1918 in breaking up the Ottoman Empire parallel to the mistake in setting up Yugoslavia in breaking up the Austrian and Ottoman Empires.

Second that.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:06
Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by gcle2003

Second that.
I also agree with this. They have the democratic right to choose to associate or disassociate with whover they want. Im not sure they can act as one though, not yet.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:29
Originally posted by Zagros

Key point: if they want it.

Referendum!

Indeed.

"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."
 - Albert Einstein

Join us.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:29
Perhaps they should *have* independance, but they shouldn't be *Given* it.  I mean that "The West" or whoever shouldn't have the right to give or take away independance.

You compare it to 1918-1919 redrawing of maps, well perhaps this is another map redrawn by the west that would cause endless problems down the road.  I'm not saying I am anti-Kurdish-independance, but like someone said, it's not independance either to be an American protectorate..
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:42
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Perhaps they should *have* independance, but they shouldn't be *Given* it.  I mean that "The West" or whoever shouldn't have the right to give or take away independance.

You compare it to 1918-1919 redrawing of maps, well perhaps this is another map redrawn by the west that would cause endless problems down the road.  I'm not saying I am anti-Kurdish-independance, but like someone said, it's not independance either to be an American protectorate..

Very true. Remember what happened to Yugoslavia?

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 00:40
Personally, I say no. Plain and simple. There are several reason why it wouldn't work, and shouldn't happen. Firstly, drawing national borders along ethnic lines, especially in the middle east, is a very foolish idea. Israel is a great example of how this only leads to further bloodshed and persecution.

Secondly, you would be carving territory out of nations that already exist, and would probably object to the idea. Again Israel demonstrates a problem with this. Other examples include Kuwait, which was meant to be part of Iraq, but Britain excluded it for its own interests.

Cutting countries into smaller and smaller groups is a way of keeping the Middle East in check, helping developed nations get a better deal on oil. As much as it sounds cynical and paranoid, it happens. The less united the Middle East is, the better of America will be. While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it also reduces the wealth of the developing middle eastern nations.

Finally, the nation can only exist in two states. It could either exist as a protectorate and puppet state of a powerful western nation, most likely America, or it could be annexed by another nation, such as Turkey or possibly Iran in the future. This is especially a problem because the region officially proposed for a "Kurdish Nation" in Iraqi lands is the most oil rich. American agenda anyone?

Edited by Zaitsev - 07-Feb-2007 at 02:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>