Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.
    Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 13:47
The Frankish kings and then the French kings used the Paladins (knights of the palace). Roland was the most famous.

We can consider the majordome (mayor of the palace, originaly "big man in the palace") were special but above the merovingian kings in many way (the merovigians were always fighting each others, the majordome was de facto the real leader), especially considering Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer grandfather of Charlemagne) virtually founded the carolingian dynasty.

I'll go for paladins and majordomes though.
Vae victis!
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 13:56

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Komnenos

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of <ST1Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

He did not invent skiing - a 5,000 year old ski has been found in central Sweden.

There are also paintings of people using skis in a cave in norway that are 5000 years old.

In Sweden they have found a 4500 year old pair of skis while they have found 2300 years old skis in northern Norway.Some people think that the Samis invented skiing

Edited by Jorsalfar
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:26

Originally posted by Komnenos

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

He did not invent skiing - a 5,000 year old ski has been found in central Sweden.

I do apologise, my Old-Norse let me down, the Edda mentions only that he was a very good skier. Bet, he didn't practise much, while he was in Byzantine service. Raises also the question, if he had won the battle of Stamford Bridge, if it had happened in Mid-winter and in good Cross-Country Skiing conditions.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:34
I wonder what Hardrde did in the Varangian Guard?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:37
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

He led it.

Many Swedes and some other Scandinavians used to serve in the guard (and some of the not so religious ones left their marks in the Hagia Sophia), up until after Hastings, when many Anglo-Saxons sought their fortune there.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:45

He led it.

Many Swedes and some other Scandinavians used to serve in the guard (and some of the not so religious ones left their marks in the Hagia Sophia), up until after Hastings, when many Anglo-Saxons sought their fortune there.

Did he do anything noteworty?like defeating enemies of the Byzantines?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 17:06

He came to Constantinople on his way home from a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1035, stopped over for a few years, served in the guard with distinction and in action and was appointed Akolythos, the commander of the Varangian Guard. During his time, the Mid-Byzantine Empire was in serious decline under a number of incapable rulers, and was fighting on the Balkans against Serbs and Bulgars, and in the East against various Caliphates and Harald Hadrade had enough opportunity to distinguish himself. He left in 1043, much richer than he came. The service in the guard was extremely well paid, even by Byzantine standards.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 16:08

The bodyguards of Xerxes of Achaemenid dynasty,  were called "immortals".

They had a really tough time with Leonidas and his 300 in Thermopylae though .

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 21:52
im not sure but, doesn't the pope have some switz guard or something?
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:14

Originally posted by white dragon

im not sure but, doesn't the pope have some switz guard or something?

True! They are only a hundred of them , responsible for the security of Vatican state.

Speaking of Swiss guards, i remember Francis of France had as personal guards also Swiss guards "the hundrend Swiss"

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:19
Chaeonian Guard (Epirus).
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Conquistador View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Conquistador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 09:13

The Russian streltsi, or strelets, started out as royal guards, didn't they? (were later expanded to form something like the first "regular Russian army")

Saladin had something called the Kurdish guards. (they were Mamlukes)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12