Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Names for royal/imperial bodyguard units.
    Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 23:55
As far as I know.

1.  Mongol emperors had the Royal tumen or Keshik/Khishig/Khishigten.

2.  Ottoman Turkish emperors had  Jannisaries

3.  Japanese Daimyos had Hatamoto.

4.  Roman emperors had Praetorians.

5.  British emperors have the Royal Black Watch.

Please share your knowledge. 
I'm awake, I'm awake.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 01:54
6. Arabs Caliphate had Al-Jaish/aL-Haras (each Jaish (army) is named after its General).
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 03:10
7. Persian Shahanshas had Ameretats (Immortal Guards).
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 11:17
If you count these as guards:

1.  Hitler had the Gestapo and SS (not the arms of the SS sent to the fronts)
2.  Franco had the Falange
3.  Vatican has the Swiss Guards
4.  The Spanish Kings of today have their Imperial Guard.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 19:19

Originally posted by El_Bandito

As far as I know.

1.  Mongol emperors had the Royal tumen or Keshik/Khishig/Khishigten.

3.  Japanese Daimyos had Hatamoto.

4.  Roman emperors had Praetorians.

5.  British emperors have the Royal Black Watch.

Please share your knowledge. 

Britain's never had an emperor, unless you count Victoria as an empress. The Black Watch are a scottish regt that are a front line combat unit, currently in Iraq and in peace time guard Edinburgh castle. Not a royal bodyguard unit. The Royal body guards in Britain are the Police and the ceromonial bodyguards are the horse guards.

The Persion bodyguard unit was called the Immortals.

Napoleon had the Old Guard.

Gadaffi has that all female unit. Don;t know their name but, god are they hot.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 12:09
the old guard was just part of the Imperial guard.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 17:41

all or most monarchies today have some kind of a royal guard,have they not?

i believe Varangians were the Byzantine royal guards

Edited by Jorsalfar
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 13:45

Portuguese Presidents have their Guarda Nacional Republicana (Republican National Guard). The kings had thr Royal Guard (the uniform was pretty much the same).

The French Kings had the Garde Suisse, and the Spanish had, at a time, a Scotish Guard.

The Falange was not a garde de corps but a militia. Franco actually had a moorish guard 8he was a colonial officer in Morocco when the war started)

The Tzars had the Guard Regiments.

The Gestapolizei (Gestapo) was not a guard de corps units, but the SS were (excluding, of course, the Waffen SS).

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 13:55

the guard suisse was only part of the royal guard.

the Gestapo was not Hitlers guard, neither was the SS. members of the Waffen SS did guard him but he did not have a real guard. there was however a Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler tank division that could be considdered his guard.

here's more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibstandarte_Adolf_Hitler

Edited by Temujin
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 17:11
King Dubya Bush has the secret service
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 03:34
The king doesn't have any special guard unit anymore - nor does he need one, since he isn't actually in battle anymore - only those secret service people, which I believe fill the function of the old guards. All units of the army take turns to guard his castles though (sometimes wearing old & silly uniforms: pic, pic). Back in the days when the kings actually were in battle there was the Livdrabantkren, an elite guard unit of 200 handpicked men under his personal command, who were responsible for the safety of the king in the battle.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 19:52

Originally posted by Temujin

the old guard was just part of the Imperial guard.

Not originally. the Old Guard wasn't renamed the Imperial Guard till 1804 and the Middle and Young guards added even later.

Hun Sen Cambodian prime minister has North Korean guards .

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 19:55
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

The king doesn't have any special guard unit anymore - nor does he need one, since he isn't actually in battle anymore - only those secret service people, which I believe fill the function of the old guards. All units of the army take turns to guard his castles though (sometimes wearing old & silly uniforms: pic, pic). Back in the days when the kings actually were in battle there was the Livdrabantkren, an elite guard unit of 200 handpicked men under his personal command, who were responsible for the safety of the king in the battle.

Actually, I've seen that Spanish Imperial Guard for Rey Juan Carlos... I remember when I was like 9 and I saw one and I asked by uncle if that was a colonel and everyone laughed at me
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:36
Great, thanks for your replies

I'm awake, I'm awake.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:53

Here's an obscure one for you. During the Chin/Jurchen Dynasty each emperor (and crown prince) had his own elite guard unit called the Ho-cha. Candidates had to be at least 5'5 tall and pass a military test. The most elite members of the Ho-cha were the "close attendants". They were the only Ho-cha members allowed to carry weapons in the emperor's presence. Close attendants had to be at least 5'6 tall.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 12:05
Originally posted by Paul

Not originally. the Old Guard wasn't renamed the Imperial Guard till 1804 and the Middle and Young guards added even later.

Hun Sen Cambodian prime minister has North Korean guards .

the French Guard never had the name Old Guard. the Old Guard was of course the first regiments of the Consular and subsequent Imperial Guard before other regiments were added but the name was never Old Guard for all of the guard at a time.

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:40

Janissaries lived in Istanbul and they were near to the palace but they weren't bodyguards.They were infantry units.

And they must have been the last soldiers protecting the sultan!They killed and changed many sultans with lots of rebellations and massacres.

They establieshed their own empire in Ottoman Empire

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:46
That is true. But originally they were intended to pledge loyalty only to the sultan and to guard him with their lives.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:35
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

i believe Varangians were the Byzantine royal guards

Varangians was originally the collective Byzantine name for Skandinavian settlers in Russia or indigenous Russians themselves. From approx. 900, a large contingent of V. served as mercenaries in the Byzantine army. Under Basil II (976-1025) they became organized as a separate unit in the army, known as the Varangian Guard, but not necessarily as Imperial Body guards. From 1066 onwards the majority of the V. were actually Anglo-Saxons, who had fled England after the Norman conquest, or Vikings from Denmark,Norway or Iceland. Only in the late 11th. century the Varangian Guard became the bodyguard of the Emperor, although they were also employed as regular units in military campaigns. Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 12:43
Originally posted by Komnenos

Most prominent member of the Varangian guard was Harald Hadrade, later to become King of Norway, who fell in the battle of<ST1Stamford Bridge1066 and who apparently invented skiing.

He did not invent skiing - a 5,000 year old ski has been found in central Sweden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>